EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 15 Apr 2005, 10:30 PM   #1
Brigitte

Patience finally wearing thin ...

Almost cannot deal with this service any more.
Going Mailsnare soon ...
Brigitte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Apr 2005, 10:51 PM   #2
jordymacsmom

I will be switching when my subscription run out also. I'm not paying Runbox and then not be able to access my email.
jordymacsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2005, 11:03 PM   #3
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
It is regretable but understandable.

It's probably been about 6 months of almost weekly problems ranging from minor to major. People who rely on their email for their business can deal with occassional problems but you reach a point when you have to say "enough is enough" and move on.

I've done a number of things to give myself backups when Runbox is down so I can almost always get my email. I still prefer the Runbox features and using the Runbox web interface so I'm hoping for the best. They were good before. They have good people. I think they'll get it worked out ... eventually.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2005, 11:05 PM   #4
marc_otten
Master of the @

Strange...for me, everything is working flawless. I cannot figure out why some people always seem to have trouble with Runbox, while others (like me) almost never experience any downtime. I can imagine though that people are getting seriously p*ssed off. I know I would

Is this because user accounts are 'spread' over different servers?
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2005, 11:31 PM   #5
rabbit

good post

Good comments, carverrn. I agree with everything you said.
Can you tell me how I can set up a "back-up" for runbox mail ?
Thanks!
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2005, 11:42 PM   #6
jbs
Essential Contributor

Re: good post

Quote:
Originally posted by rabbit
Good comments, carverrn. I agree with everything you said.
Can you tell me how I can set up a "back-up" for runbox mail ?
Thanks!
I'm interested to hear Rich's response, but I'll share what I do to try andget around outages. It's not currently a complete solution, but it's a start.

One option is to add a Runbox filter which forwards all your mail to another account, say GMail. I have a filter set up at value -99 to do that. As long as Runbox is receiving messages fine, it will forward them on to GMail and I can not only access them there in real time, but I also have an historical archive of all my mail (admittedly unsorted, but far more searchable than Runbox).

If you want to be COMPLETELY insulated against even a total Runbox system crash (i.e. where your filters are never seeing the messages in the first place) then I would think you need to use a non-Runbox address which forwards to BOTH your Runbox address and another (say GMail) address. I have this set up for SOME of my mail.

I don't give anyone my Runbox address, instead I use unique disposable addresses on my own mail domain for companies/vendors/websites/etc. When one gets spammed, I can shut off that one address and be rid of the spam.

In the mail setup for that domain, I have everything forward to both Runbox and to a GMail account.

For personal stuff, I use my college alumni lifetime email forwarding service, which unfortunately will only forward to one address. If Runbox is inaccessible, I can forward that instead to the domain I described above, which in turn will forward to both my Runbox and my GMail account, but as long as Runbox is working fine I just have it go straight there so as to not make MY domain a bottleneck either . . .

Rich?

--Jason
jbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2005, 11:46 PM   #7
jtlapp

rabbit, here's how you keep a backup account:

(1) Open an account with a mail-forwarding service such as pobox.com.

(2) Open an account with a free email service such as gmail.com.

(3) Have the mail-forwarding service forward all emails to both runbox and your free email account.

(4) Have your From address on both runbox and the free email account specify your mail-forwarding address.

(5) Tell everyone to use your new mail-forwarding email address.

All my mail goes to my pobox.com account, which then forwards it to both gmail and runbox. For web access, I use gmail. For pop access, I use runbox, if it's available.

BTW, is anyone keeping track of Runbox's actual uptime? If someone had actual uptime to report, this might ignite a bit of a fire under their pants, as they wouldn't be able to simply advertise their target uptime anymore.
jtlapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2005, 12:39 AM   #8
rabbit

Thanks for the info on the set-up, I understand it completely and I will get things set up. It is very clear, thanks again!
Just tried to send a message from runbox (I actually was able to log-in!). But, I gave up after waiting and waiting....no response to my attempt to send the message.
Isin't it something that there is no system update posted here recently ? Remember a few months ago how runbox PROMISED to communicate better with the customers ?
Old 16 Apr 2005, 01:43 AM   #9
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Same thing here basically.

I use my own domains and the email forwarding features of the DNS hosting each domain to forward messages to several different email accounts (Runbox, Gmail, Yahoo).

Since I have several domains my preference is to use Runbox since it looks like I'm sending from those domains. The backups give lots of space so they can collect my mails just in case I need to get to them when Runbox is down. But neither Yahoo nor Gmail can give me an acceptable daily solution for managing email for multiple domains.

I honestly "love" Runbox's Folder Preferences because I filter mail to "domain specific" folders and when I compose/reply from within those folders Runbox makes sure I'm using the "From" and "Reply-To" addresses for messages related to that folder. Having just a dropdown list of personalities is "nice" but it doesn't help ensure that I've selected the right one before I send. I really think Runbox's approach is easier for people who manage emails from multiple domains. Which is one of the primary reasons I choose Runbox in the first place.

The only drawback is that I still have to login to the other accounts from time to time and delete old stuff. As their space increases the frequency I have to login gets smaller. For Gmail I could filter all emails to Gmail's Trash and let it auto-delete after 30 days. For Yahoo you wouldn't want to use the Trash folder because Yahoo says it can be deleted at "anytime".

Regards,
Rich
Old 16 Apr 2005, 01:52 AM   #10
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by marc_otten
Strange...for me, everything is working flawless. I cannot figure out why some people always seem to have trouble with Runbox, while others (like me) almost never experience any downtime. I can imagine though that people are getting seriously p*ssed off. I know I would

Is this because user accounts are 'spread' over different servers?
Marc, do you primarily use the web interface like me? I know people using IMAP have had a number of ongoing problems.

Accessing from the web interface seems to be the most stable approach for Runbox. Followed by POP3. With IMAP as the least stable.

There seems to have been a large number of problems related to specific servers or specific accounts that didn't get properly updated when they were moved to a new server. So some may have been experiencing more problems than others because of these issues.

Regards,
Rich
Old 16 Apr 2005, 04:10 AM   #11
jordymacsmom

I understand all of the alternatives that have been given here for being able to get your emails, not that it excuses Runbox's excessive down-time or their inability to communicate with customers.

My main problem lies in the fact that I get a lot of my email through Yahoo Groups, and there are several problems that I would run into by forwarding my mail to a GMail account - which I do have.

The first is that even though I could read my Yahoo Groups email on a GMail account, I would not be able to respond or reply to any of them because Yahoo Groups will only allow you to receive or send email from ONE email address.

The second problem would be - even if I went into the Yahoo Groups control panel and switched all of me email to the GMail address - it takes FOREVER for Yahoo to recognize the change and start sending mail to the new address. So either way I go, I would be end of losing emails or not be able to repsond...
jordymacsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2005, 05:46 AM   #12
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by jordymacsmom
My main problem lies in the fact that I get a lot of my email through Yahoo Groups, and there are several problems that I would run into by forwarding my mail to a GMail account - which I do have.

The first is that even though I could read my Yahoo Groups email on a GMail account, I would not be able to respond or reply to any of them because Yahoo Groups will only allow you to receive or send email from ONE email address.
You can post to Yahoo! Groups from alternate addresses as long as you tell Yahoo! Groups what addresses you're going to use.

In Yahoo! Groups go to My Email Preferences. Find the email address you want to use an alternate posting address for and select the Edit option. Under Alternate Posting Addresses enter your alternate address.

Plus the post will be made using your registered address and not the alternate address it came from.

Regards,
Rich
Old 16 Apr 2005, 08:05 AM   #13

Unhappy I done did give up on runbox

It's friday evening the last day of tax season! I now have time to myself.

Anywho, I tried me best to be patient with runbox, but must move on.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 08:53 AM   #14
rabbit

Timeouts

Now all I get are time-outs when I try to connect to runbox.
Of course, if runbox is having problems we wouldn't know about it here because the runbox staff does not communicate
well with their customers, although they promised they would!
The reason I'm writing again today about problems is because I would hope anyone who is considering opening a runbox account would read the posts and then think twice about it!
Old 16 Apr 2005, 09:28 AM   #15
JeffK

I don't use my Runbox account for anything serious (I have it so that I can help forum members - I will have to start one day ). FYI, However I receive the daily bandwidth report and don't have any trouble accessing Runbox either via the web interface or with my IMAP access set up in Thunderbird.

I can't help but think that while several users are repoorting problems, it may not be a systemic problem and Runbox support may be able to sort it out on a case by case basis.

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote