EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 9 Nov 2007, 10:29 PM   #16
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
There doesn't seem to be any web mail performance issues from what I can tell.

One server has a larger than average mail queue but that would just mean slower delivery of some messages. I checked and it's not impacting web mail response times.

We can check if there is something specific to your account but we'd need to know the username. You can submit it to SUPPORT-at-RUNBOX-dot-COM if you don't want to post it here.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2007, 11:39 PM   #17
positivelyjim

Slow Response Times

My email address is jim-stephens(at)allpositiveoptions(dot)com
positivelyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2007, 11:55 PM   #18
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I checked your account and there are no performance problems at this time.

Login took about 3-5 seconds. Displaying "New" took 3-5 seconds. Viewing a Runbox Support response also took only 3-5 seconds.

This was from a secure (SSL) connection from a US location so my results were not because I was testing from a local (Norway) location.

Are you still having problems? Is there anything specific that I should test?

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2007, 12:48 AM   #19
positivelyjim

Response Times

I checked my account. Now everything is extremely fast. Then I go to access my Trash folder (which has two tiny emails in it, and it takes fourteen seconds to open the folder. That's what's frustrating, I never know when it's going to slow down, and I never know why.
positivelyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2007, 05:00 AM   #20
scaredpoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggreene View Post
I'm pretty much at that point to. This is just ridiculous ... kind 'a like watching a Loral and Hardy flick (for those of you old enough to remember). Email is too critical to leave to an amateur service.

So what service did you end up going with? I've been reading good things about Tuffmail and am looking at using them.
Hi Doug,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you; I just haven't been browsing these forums as much. Kinda depressing, really.

Anyway, I have heard good things about tuffmail too. However, I ultimately moved my accounts to Fusemail. Their pricing is a bit more competitive than Tuffmail, and I really like their features. Additionally, they let you "buy" more space on the fly, and are very flexible with account setup if you really need something customized.

Of course they aren't as cheap as runbox, but then the only thing cheaper than runbox is free. But, they do everything runbox does and they do it well. I've had them for three months now, initially as a trial but now I have fully migrated. Their e-mail interfaces are FAST. They are RELIABLE. Their support is excellent; the one problem I had was fixed in minutes and the interaction was very responsive and one on one. There were no excuses, just "here's what the problem was, this is how we fixed it, we're sorry you had trouble." And since then, not a single recurrence.

I LOVE it! It actually felt good to read my e-mail again.

At any rate, I'll stop rambling as this is not the place to go advertising other providers. But do give them a try.
scaredpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2007, 04:41 AM   #21
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I quickly compared Fusemail's basic email offering with Runbox':
  • Their accounts come with only 1GB storage space, and extra storage costs $0.99 per GB per month. All Runbox accounts come with 10GB email storage at $49.95 per year, which is $68.85 less than the $118.80 you'd have to pay Fusemail for the same storage space.
  • They only allow 50MB message size, while Runbox currently supports 100MB messages.
  • They advertise a 95% spam and virus filtering success rate. Runbox can easily reach 99% success rate with its unique combination of SpamAssassin and (trainable) Dspam filters.
A fairly unscientific test of their demo webmail showed a login time of 16 seconds (probably due to the amount of javascript being downloaded and processed) and an average refresh time of 2-4 seconds in an account with 218 messages.

A Runbox test account with 5000 messages currently shows a login time of 1 second and the same for subsequent reloads.

While Fusemail is certainly a quality email service with a broad selection of services, Runbox is at least as competitive on price, offering, and responsiveness.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 09:29 PM   #22
ultra

access using WAP (from UK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
We can assure you that the overall performance of the Runbox system has improved by an order of magnitude ...

There are still intermittent slowdowns that we are working to resolve, but the service is in general more reliable and responsive now than ever before. This is indicated by our ranking on ...
I've been without home DSL for about 6 months now, and have been using my WAP phone (within the UK, via Virgin/T-Mobile network). I regularly get errors like "no response from server" (not even getting the RB logo and login page), so would appreciate feedback from others using wap.runbox.com about how well you find access, and especially from anyone in the UK...

I'm not able to point blame at RB or Virgin/T-Mobile as I cannot be sure where the problems are, so am happy to see feedback from other users just so I know if it is Virgin/T-Mobile or RB... and if others are seeing this maybe RB will try it too...
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2007, 11:44 PM   #23
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I tested wap.runbox.com on my phone just now with no error messages. We're planning to move the wap service to a new and more powerful server, which should improve the performance in any event.

However, if you get an error message like "Unsupported content type" it's likely that the browser you're using doesn't support WAP. Some newer phones come with more than one browser, so make sure you're using one that does.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2007, 12:00 AM   #24
ultra

Thanks for that - I've used the WAP facility quite a bit, and very useful it is, so know the browser is OK, just getting timeout messages randomly, any day of week, any time of day, but could never be sure if it was from my UK mobile network service outbound link, or at RB, hence comment.
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2007, 01:23 PM   #25
mrtoddf

16,621 messages

I've been with runbox since 2004 and use it heavily for my website. I have 16,621 email messages in 24 folders currently. The only performance issue I have noticed was yesterday when they redirected everyone to https. Today its back to regular http, so its faster again. I like this feature and know it creates alot of overhead, but make sure your machines can handle the extra load before going back to redirecting everyone to the secure runbox.
mrtoddf is offline   Reply With Quote