EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Jun 2011, 04:51 AM   #106
rblon
Essential Contributor

Documentation? What happened to trial and error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjj View Post
I wouldn't feel safe with that since it does not accord with: "Each target should be of the form 'name@domain'".
It certainly shouldn't make you feel unsafe
Old 11 Jun 2011, 08:38 AM   #107
Shelded

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryr
2. Configure Fastmail with Domain and set up rule that forwards all mail to Gmail (Backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjj View Post
That could be a really bad idea. Gmail barred me from doing that from my non-FM server (periodically blocking the server for sending too much unsolicited mail) and Fastmail requested me not to do it from the Fastmail server (for avoidance of Fastmail being likewise blocked).
I've been puzzling over what this post meant. As I understand it, it would not be a bad idea, and I can't imagine either Google or FM making such requests. Many of us are doing just this and not getting rebuked. I did this and stopped doing it mainly because Google was bouncing attachment types that FM accepted, causing false alarm to the senders.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 10:30 AM   #108
chrisjj
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
You're not going to get anywhere with this insofar as telling anyone something new.
Just watch. It will be corrected.

Quote:
It's an ambiguity.
Incorrect, Neither statement is ambiguous.

Quote:
Don't think this is an undocumented discovery.
Agreed. Simply that it is a failure to accord with the UI labelling I quoted.

Quote:
It's something the FM guys must have shared with us, IMO.
It is in the Help.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 10:34 AM   #109
chrisjj

Quote:
I can't imagine either Google or FM making such requests.
I didn't say Google requested. I said Google blocked. See here http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...75&postcount=5 .

The request from Fastrmail was by Rob in private mail.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 01:26 PM   #110
Shelded

Since you're in the mood to split hairs, I should point out that I did not say you said Google "requested" anything.

This still did little to explain the post, except that I'm less interested because it doesn't seem generally applicable. That kind of mail volume belongs elsewhere anyway, IMO.

I have point-by-point rebuttals to your other post, but I don't see why it was posted and I see no value in pursuing it. My major point was that the format we recommended is valid, is not a hack, and is done at their direction years ago here on the forum. If you need permission to use the feature before you will, suit yourself. If I had your mail volume I probably would be cautious too.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 07:48 PM   #111
chrisjj

Quote:
I should point out that I did not say you said Google "requested" anything.
Could you explain then what you meant by :

I can't imagine either Google or FM making such requests.

?

Quote:
If I had your mail volume I probably would be cautious too.
Very wise.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 11:49 PM   #112
Shelded

Here is the part you aren't quoting "I've been puzzling over what this post meant. As I understand it[...]" But don't bother now, I've lost interest and don't share your agenda, which doesn't appear to be on the thread topic here.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 05:41 AM   #113
Sherry

Moderator:

As this thread has been going a little off topic with personal remarks going back and forth I feel it's time to let it get back on topic.

sflorack, part of what you said in your posts shows you do not understand the discussion going on so there was no need for you to comment:
Quote:
"I don't even have any idea what this discussion is about, but find your willingness to continue making baseless claims very off-putting; where it has no place in intelligent conversation.
Those posts have been deleted "twice". Please refrain from re-posting the same thing and stick to the original topic. Thank you.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 05:51 AM   #114
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Sherry,

Both posts were deleted by Shelded without explanation -- something I've always seen the better moderators do. I reposted (many hours later) simply because I had no way of knowing if it was moderated or by my own mistake.

My apologies for being one of those not on topic.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 06:33 AM   #115
chrisjj

Quote:
But don't bother now, I've lost interest and don't share your agenda, which doesn't appear to be on the thread topic here.
You are mistaken. I am pointing out a very real risk with a solution proposed. The fact that you don't have sufficient spam volume to have experienced the risk does not mean there is no such risk. It means only your experience is inadequate to qualify you to comment on the risk. I see your casting doubt without evidence as irresponsible. As I said, Fastmail specifically requested me not to forward all my mail from Fastmail to Gmail since this would risk the Fastmail server getting blocked. If you are disputing the accuracy of my account, simply come out and say so clearly, and I shall ask Fastmail for permission to post the correspondence.

Last edited by chrisjj : 12 Jun 2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 07:21 AM   #116
Shelded

I hereby willingly award all fun points to chrisjj who seems to be the final person who has any concept of what we were discussing. I never did understand him, and claimed not to, and since the link in post #109, I don't need to.

BTW today I learned that the comments moderators write on deleted posts are not visible to non-moderators. Whodathunk.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 09:27 AM   #117
ReuvenNY

Moderator's comment

This thread is now closed. If there is any further interest in this topic, please start a new thread.
Closed Thread