EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Nov 2014, 12:45 AM   #1
fhapgood
Master of the @

formatting

I like to compose messages using Plain as opposed to Rich Text. Doing that requires me to click on 'Format' fairly often. Whenever I do the cursor automatically jumps to the last line of the file, which means I have to scroll back up to where the text insertion is going on. In long files this is a constant irritation, especially since I can't see any logic to it at all. How hard would it be for the system to return to the last text insertion point? It may seem like a small thing but you know what they say about oaks. This is a negative oak.

Anyway, is there a fix? Am I missing some reason as to why this is a good idea?
fhapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Nov 2014, 03:19 AM   #2
fhapgood
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltalk View Post
If you want to be in "Plain text-mode" constantly, you will find that in Settings-->Writing
I know about that option have it set to Plain.

What does this have to do with my problem???
Old 9 Nov 2014, 03:37 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

For readers confused by the earlier comments in this thread:
  • You won't find the Format button in the normal web interface. You can only see it if you use the old classic interface.
  • You won't find the Settings>Writing configuration in the classic interface. You can only see this in the normal (non-classic) interface.
I wouldn't hold out too much hope for such changes to the classic interface. But after trying this I can see the source of your pain!

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2014, 06:56 AM   #4
fhapgood
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
For readers confused by the earlier comments in this thread:
  • You won't find the Format button in the normal web interface. You can only see it if you use the old classic interface.
  • You won't find the Settings>Writing configuration in the classic interface. You can only see this in the normal (non-classic) interface.
Actually it is in the classic interface: Setting ->Account Preferences-> Default compose mode. FWIW.

Fred
Old 9 Nov 2014, 01:00 PM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhapgood View Post
Actually it is in the classic interface: Setting ->Account Preferences-> Default compose mode.
Yes, there's a similar setting but the menu described by the poster does not exist in the classic interface. There are different choices in different menus. That's why I made that post, since most readers are probably using the normal interface and there was no description in this thread of which interface was being described.

I think it's best to explicitly say "classic interface" when it's being discussed, since that isn't the default interface users see when they buy an account and log in. I'm sorry that bug is bothering you, but I doubt it will be fixed. It would probably be harder than we realize to move the insertion point to a specific point in the text editing area after the formatting operation, and Fastmail is expending their resources on improvements to the normal interface now.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote