EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Apr 2011, 06:32 AM   #1
Kirk

Arrow How to get FM folders to display in Opera browser email client?

I am using the Opera browser as my email client for my Operamail FM account. I have created some folders in my online account, but I cannot get these folders to display in my Opera browser email viewer. I can subscribe to the folder using the IMAP subscribe feature, but that just dumps everything into the Inbox, which is not what I want. (I managed to permanently delete some messages out of my folders trying to set up this feature ) I want to be able to manage my folders using the Opera browser email client the same way I can if I log into the Operamail webpage. Is this doable? If not, is there some other client I can use that has this capability?
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Apr 2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Sherry

[Moderator:]

Thread moved to the "Fastmail.FM Help and Current Issues" Forum.

Welcome to EMD
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2011, 07:46 PM   #3
johanborg
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Opera.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
I am using the Opera browser as my email client for my Operamail FM account. I have created some folders in my online account, but I cannot get these folders to display in my Opera browser email viewer. I can subscribe to the folder using the IMAP subscribe feature, but that just dumps everything into the Inbox, which is not what I want. (I managed to permanently delete some messages out of my folders trying to set up this feature ) I want to be able to manage my folders using the Opera browser email client the same way I can if I log into the Operamail webpage. Is this doable? If not, is there some other client I can use that has this capability?
The IMAP folders are displayed in the lower part of the mail panel, under their respecitve account names. The top items in the panel (Unread etc) are shared between all accounts and IMAP folders.
johanborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Welcome, Kirk!

Johan already answered your question, but I just wanted to add that there are some of us here who are pretty experienced running Fastmail with Opera's mail client. In general, the two work together extremely well. From time to time, however, you might run into something that requires a little workaround -- such as my long-standing pet peeve about the lack of personality management in Opera.

Anyway, between the users and the Operafolk like Johan who hang around here, we can answer just about any questions you might have, so if you get stuck with anything else, be sure to ask.

Paul
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Kirk

Arrow

No, I am afraid my question has not been answered at all. There is one folder listed under my email accoun in the left panet; that is 'Inbox'. None of the other folders I created in FM appear there.

If I open the 'Subscribe IMAP folders' dialogue box, it lists my folders this way:
---
INBOX.Benefits
INBOX.Drafts
INBOX.Registrations
---
.... and so on. These are the names of the folders I have created on FM (without the 'INBOX.'). If I subscribe to any of these, the contents of those folders are just dumped into my inbox and mixed in with whatever is in there. That is worse than useless. How do I get the folders to display separately from the Inbox?
Old 19 Apr 2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

What version of Opera are you using? If you're using one of the newer builds, as opposed to a pre Opera 11 build, you have quite a bit of choice over what to show and what to hide in the mail panel, and it's possible that your IMAP folders are hidden.

To check this, try the following:

First, since you said that you can see your account and the Inbox, I'm assuming the account itself is not being hidden. But just to verify, click the view icon at the top of the mail panel and make sure your account is selected. There should be a check mark in the box next to it.

Next, each section of the mail panel -- All Messages, Feeds, Labels, Mailing Lists, Attachments, etc. -- should have its own header. This includes the section for your account. If you click or hover on the header for your account, a settings icon should appear. If you click that, you'll see the option to Customize, and if you click that, you should see all of your IMAP folders listed, with the choice to show or hide them.

Are all of your IMAP folders checked? If not, put a check mark in the box next to each folder that you want to display in the panel.

As far as I know, the default setting should be to show all folders, so I'm not sure if yours are truly hidden or how they might have gotten that way. But with Opera, as with most software, odd things can occasionally happen on initial install -- and even odder things upon upgrade from one version to another. So it's worth checking out.

One other thing you can try, should the above steps not work, is to simply do the time-honored trick of unsubscribing from all your IMAP folders and then re-subscribing. Again, not something you should normally have to do, but who knows?

Apologies if you've tried these things already, or if this information is too basic, but I'm not sure about your level of Opera experience and I want to cover all the bases.

Paul
Old 19 Apr 2011, 10:54 PM   #7
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

To follow up on my previous post, here's a screenshot of the IMAP folder view menu

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/558529/Mailpanel.jpg

Paul
Old 20 Apr 2011, 10:24 AM   #8
Kirk

Arrow

Pf:
Quote:
What version of Opera are you using?
v11.10
----------
Quote:
First, since you said that you can see your account and the Inbox, I'm assuming the account itself is not being hidden. But just to verify, click the view icon at the top of the mail panel and make sure your account is selected. There should be a check mark in the box next to it.
The check mark is there next to my email account address.
----------
Quote:
Next, each section of the mail panel -- All Messages, Feeds, Labels, Mailing Lists, Attachments, etc. -- should have its own header. This includes the section for your account. If you click or hover on the header for your account, a settings icon should appear. If you click that, you'll see the option to Customize, and if you click that, you should see all of your IMAP folders listed, with the choice to show or hide them.

Are all of your IMAP folders checked? If not, put a check mark in the box next to each folder that you want to display in the panel.
At the risk of repeating myself, when I check all the IMAP folders, all of the mail from all of those folders just gets dumped into my Inbox. The folders are not displayed separately under the Inbox icon in the panel to the left of the screen.
----------
Quote:
As far as I know, the default setting should be to show all folders, so I'm not sure if yours are truly hidden or how they might have gotten that way. But with Opera, as with most software, odd things can occasionally happen on initial install -- and even odder things upon upgrade from one version to another. So it's worth checking out.
One other suspicion I have is that there may be a problem with my FM account. I was an Operamail user before Opera regained control of that service and switched it to FastMail. My older account was migrated to FastMail from whatever it was before. That migration may not have gone well. Again, this is just a suspicion at this point.

Another potential issue is that I am using a local HTTP web-filtering proxy called Proxomitron. I have tried disabling it and it made no difference, so I have been assuming that it is not the source of the problem.
----------
Quote:
One other thing you can try, should the above steps not work, is to simply do the time-honored trick of unsubscribing from all your IMAP folders and then re-subscribing. Again, not something you should normally have to do, but who knows?
I have tried this. I have also repeatedly tried deleting my account from Opera and recreating it. That does not help. I am going to try reinstalling Opera itself, which I have not done yet.
----------
Quote:
Apologies if you've tried these things already, or if this information is too basic, but I'm not sure about your level of Opera experience and I want to cover all the bases.
No problem. You do not know me or my level of knowledge, and you are attempting to help me. Thank you for your time and patience.

EDIT:

I just went in was playing with the IMAP folder selection dialogue box. I selected all my folders and clicked [OK], and it finally added one of them under the Inbox icon. I repeated that about a dozen times until they were all added, one by one. So now I can see and manage them all. Weird, but it worked. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Kirk : 20 Apr 2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 10:34 AM   #9
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Quote:
One other suspicion I have is that there may be a problem with my FM account. I was an Operamail user before Opera regained control of that service and switched it to FastMail. My older account was migrated to FastMail from whatever it was before. That migration may not have gone well. Again, this is just a suspicion at this point.
I think your suspicions are right in this case. And that's something that you'll only be able to sort out by filing a support ticket.

Paul
Old 21 Apr 2011, 12:47 AM   #10
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I just went in was playing with the IMAP folder selection dialogue box. I selected all my folders and clicked [OK], and it finally added one of them under the Inbox icon. I repeated that about a dozen times until they were all added, one by one. So now I can see and manage them all. Weird, but it worked. Thank you for your help.
Yikes! Not exactly a user-friendly procedure. Thankfully, it's an unusual occurrence. You wouldn't want to go through that more than once!

I'm very glad you got it all sorted out.

Paul