EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 5 Apr 2019, 06:49 AM   #46
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu View Post
It's obvious what I mean. A great company and they use a free SSL certificate?. It's not something I see every day.
Why? Are paid certificates better?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2019, 08:01 AM   #47
TenFour
Master of the @

I'm pretty sure that Let's Encrypt's CAs do the exact same thing as the paid ones. Sometimes you don't get what you pay for! In any case, I have no idea if The X Y Z is a great email provider or company. I'm just going by their website and their offering, which looks competitive. I watched a few of their how-to videos and read some of their documentation and it looks solid. Still curious if anyone has any real-world experience with them.
TenFour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2019, 12:22 PM   #48
WheelDeal

I've been testing Mailfence for the past two weeks. I like it, and I'm strongly considering switching my domain account from G Suite.

Still, I have encountered a glitch or two. Please let me know if you'd like to hear about my experiences.
WheelDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2019, 08:26 PM   #49
TenFour
Master of the @

Sure, tell us more about Mailfence. What are you doing for use on your smartphone? For me it would be a bit pricey unless I didn't import my old emails since I would need to go for the Pro plan at about $8.40 per month.
Old 13 Apr 2019, 04:59 AM   #50
TenFour
Master of the @

I may be wrong, but The X Y Z appears to be a Rackspace reseller based on the storage limits, names of products, and the listed email server addresses. Nothing wrong with that, but something worth noting if true.

Last edited by TenFour : 13 Apr 2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 14 Apr 2019, 10:02 AM   #51
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

I think I'm doomed never to find an email I truly love, but I'm glad to see that someone besides me is okay with Outlook/Hotmail. I hate any tweaks, which always make things worse, but overall I find the interface the best for me. I have others - Gmail, Proton, Soho, etc, - which I try, but don't use regularly.

What I'm always looking for is a freebie that doesn't require a second account or telephone number.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2019, 04:58 PM   #52
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
What I'm always looking for is a freebie that doesn't require a second account or telephone number.
I'm curious, why is that? On the surface, this seems a little nefarious.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2019, 12:38 PM   #53
WheelDeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Sure, tell us more about Mailfence. What are you doing for use on your smartphone? For me it would be a bit pricey unless I didn't import my old emails since I would need to go for the Pro plan at about $8.40 per month.
My apologies for the slow reply.

Briefly, I've encountered two flaws. First, the sign-up process seems an unnecessary hassle. Mailfence requires an e-mail address--not an issue for me. But my attempts to register with my domain e-mail were met with silence. I contacted Mailfence support; they said their system had marked my domain address as spam. Indeed, I had to try a few addresses before I found one that worked.

Secondly, the mail interface crashed as I was composing an e-mail, although the message contents did get saved to the "Drafts" folder. Thus far, it's happened only once.

Regardless, I quite like Mailfence. The service is sophisticated without being cluttered, and it offers several security-related options that are suitable even for those who don't use PGP.

As for smartphone access, I'm simply planning to use the default iPhone app. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by WheelDeal : 18 Apr 2019 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added smartphone comment
WheelDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2019, 08:53 PM   #54
TenFour
Master of the @

So if you use the iPhone app it will be via IMAP or POP, meaning you lose the end-to-end encryption and open up a possibly security vulnerability. It always seems odd to me to purchase a service known for encryption and then to hobble that function. Isn't that like putting a massive steel door with deadbolt on the front of your house while leaving the back door open?
Old 19 Apr 2019, 02:11 AM   #55
Mailfence

Representative of:
Mailfence.com
Quote:
So if you use the iPhone app it will be via IMAP or POP, meaning you lose the end-to-end encryption and open up a possibly security vulnerability. It always seems odd to me to purchase a service known for encryption and then to hobble that function. Isn't that like putting a massive steel door with deadbolt on the front of your house while leaving the back door open?
Dear,

Thank you for your feedback.

While using IMAP/POP3/ActiveSync connections, all end-to-end encrypted messages remains encrypted. The respective email clients receives them in as-is fashion (i.e., cipher text).

This means, the user has to make sure that their email client can read/write/understand OpenPGP e.g., by using appropriate tools: Thunderbird/Enigmail, K9Mail/OpenKeychain, ...

Kind regards,
Mailfence Support
Mailfence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2019, 08:39 PM   #56
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
This means, the user has to make sure that their email client can read/write/understand OpenPGP e.g., by using appropriate tools:
In other words, you won't be able to read your email using the regular iPhone app.
Old 6 May 2019, 10:42 PM   #57
Mailfence

Representative of:
Mailfence.com
Quote:
In other words, you won't be able to read your email using the regular iPhone app.
Dear,

You can, but only after setting up the OpenPGP reading/writing capabilities in your local email client.
This is due to the end-to-end encryption protocol that we follow - which is often not supported by major email clients out-of-the-box.

Kind regards,
Mailfence Team
Mailfence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2019, 02:43 AM   #58
tungsten

Quote:
Read this, it might be helpful to understand how encryption works:

Mailfence is correct.
tungsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2019, 09:14 PM   #59
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
This is due to the end-to-end encryption protocol that we follow - which is often not supported by major email clients out-of-the-box.
Which is why encrypted email services will only be a tiny niche market. The average email user will only use the mainstream email apps, and has a lot of trouble setting even those up. Until iPhones and Android phones out of the box can utilize full encryption it is not going mainstream. For many people the only way they read email is on a phone.