EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 13 Jun 2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Post Server relocation: Scheduled downtime Tuesday June 14

Server Relocation and Email Downtime – Tuesday June 14 10-14 CET
(08-12 GMT / 05-09 AM EDT / 02-06 AM PDT)

We’re excited to announce that Runbox is partnering with a new server hosting and management company, Copyleft Solutions. As part of this change we will move our email server park to a new Data Center on Tuesday June 14 between approximately 10 and 14 CET.

How will this affect me?
Our email services, including Webmail, POP, IMAP, and SMTP, will be inaccessible for about 4 hours while the servers are being moved. Incoming email will normally be queued on the sending servers, but users of mailing list services such as Yahoo Groups might want to suspend those to avoid bouncing of incoming email.

The Runbox Web Hosting services will *not* be affected as they are hosted in a different location. All web sites and domains hosted with Runbox will continue to work normally.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the relocation.

What can I do?
We recommend that you check your email before the scheduled downtime. While we are migrating it will not be possible for you to access your email.

To get updates about the relocation and when the services will be online again, please check the status updates at http://status.runbox.net

If you have any questions, please use the Support Center at http://support.runbox.com

Why are you relocating?
Runbox is partnering with Copyleft Solutions, a Norwegian company focusing on secure hosting and open source software. Copyleft Solutions shares Runbox’ values and core principles, and we will be their preferred email provider going forward.

The partnership will strengthen both companies in the long-term as we also share many goals and interests — first and foremost to provide the best possible email services for our users.

The new Data Center
The Runbox email server park will be moved to Copyleft Solution’s data center at Digiplex. Digiplex offers state of the art facilities with secure, climate controlled environments and full power and telecom redundancy.

In the future, this move will improve the quality and responsiveness of our services, as the servers will be hosted on a higher capacity network by a company committed to further developing the platform.

We will update the News section of the Support Center at http://support.runbox.com with more information as it becomes available.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Jun 2011, 04:49 PM   #2
gmit

Four hours without mail during CET working hours AGAIN?!?!?
gmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2011, 05:41 PM   #3
hajonez
Cornerstone of the Community

Sounds like an exciting development! Hope it all goes smoothly.

- Henry
hajonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2011, 10:58 PM   #4
gmit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajonez View Post
Sounds like an exciting development! Hope it all goes smoothly.
We've heard everything will be better after last server update, but, either I'm blind or expected too much (that is, anything more than nothing)...
Old 14 Jun 2011, 02:35 AM   #5
na_mirage

Thumbs down

Good luck with the move.

However, why only 24 hours notice?
kservik was posting on the 10th about a smtp server move, so clearly its not like your current datacentre has kicked you out. Its a scheduled move.

7 days notice would be much more appropriate & 14 days would be better so that some of us could plan alternative dns routings.
With 24 hours notice theres not enough time to make dns changes and have them propagate.
na_mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2011, 05:36 AM   #6
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Why we move now and how planned was this

We had planned to do it in july, but key personell from our old Data Center and Managed Services Provider Redpill-Linpro could only do it this day.

We have been working hard on the plans to see if that was possible and we just completed the plans on friday. Since then as much as 10 people have been working their socks off to make this happen.

We have used the services of Linpro and then Redpill-Linpro in over 10 years, so its been a extremly long partnership. The last move was from independent Data Center (Nordpolen / The North Pole) to a new room at Alfabygget that is operated by Redpill-Linpro.

We think that changing partner to CopyLeft will be extremly good for the development of Runbox and our system. Redpill-Linpro is a fantastic at maintaining a system as it is, but Runbox needs more hans on development and CopyLeft will be much better at that.

We also have much more news for you in the pipeline and we love to hear your thoughts as we come with them!

Kim
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:21 AM   #7
bipbop

Anyone want to bet against me that they won't manage to do it in the promised four hours? My gut feeling, based on previous history, is that it will take 8-12 hours at best, due to unforeseen events.

However, if by some miracle it goes according to plan, you'll get an apology from me while I'm eating crow.
bipbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2011, 12:43 PM   #8
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Okey, but I am 99% sure you will loose that bet :-)

We are many times better prepared this time and we are 11 people involved + two in backup.

Our planning has been excellent and we are very comfortable with the move.

Kim
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2011, 02:06 PM   #9
bipbop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kservik View Post
Okey, but I am 99% sure you will loose that bet :-)

We are many times better prepared this time and we are 11 people involved + two in backup.

Our planning has been excellent and we are very comfortable with the move.

Kim
Nothing would make me happier than if I lose that bet. So do your best. Good luck!
bipbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2011, 03:45 PM   #10
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

Trying to pick up email before downtime and IMAP doesn't look like it's connecting!

"There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Check the settings for account “Runbox” or try again.

The server error encountered was: The attempt to read data from the server “imap.runbox.com” failed."
Dreambiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2011, 03:46 PM   #11
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

Oohh, must have just been busy, appears to be working now...
Dreambiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2011, 09:05 PM   #12
gmit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipbop View Post
Nothing would make me happier than if I lose that bet. So do your best. Good luck!
You've won! If I were you, as a reward, I would ask for free forwarding service to some other mail provider...
Old 14 Jun 2011, 09:44 PM   #13
dgobits

So who's now won the bet? It's 14.43 CET and still no Runbox...

Any chance we get an update of expected down time??
dgobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2011, 09:45 PM   #14
eric78190

Any news ?

Any news ?

Good luck,

Thanks.

Eric.
eric78190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2011, 09:56 PM   #15
thomasinso36

Angry Downtime

Meanwhile it's nearly 3:00 and nothing is running.
Any chance to get emails today or this week ???

Regards
th_
thomasinso36 is offline   Reply With Quote