EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 29 Aug 2011, 10:44 PM   #1
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Question Google wants your phone number

Upon recently logging into my Gmail account, I was met with a Google screen notifying me that I should record my phone number with them in case my account info was lost or compromised, it would be the only way to recover it. Really? The message screen reads something like this:

Hey, this is important: Add a phone to your account

Without a phone number, you could lose all access to your account if you forget your password or if your account is hijacked. Learn more

Phone number (mobile or landline)

Google will only use your number for account security. We'll never share it with other companies or send you unwanted messages—ever.

Adding a phone number helps make your account much more secure. Click here to skip this step anyway.

Note that the sentence allowing users to click a link to skip this step is not the same size as the rest of the text but very tiny. Sorry Google, but my phone number is private and I pay extra for that anonymity. Having to have to change it three times to avoid unsolicited junk callers and telemarketers, no third party is going to get it. Besides somewhat bizarre, Google's request seems to suggest they cannot or will not offer account support with the existing information they already have. Free email, for all intents and purposes is part of the cyber world. Telephone/cellphone numbers are part of the "real" world and the consequences of giving them out willy-nilly is costly and unending aggravation. Besides, what ever happened to Gmail's inbox phone utility? Isn't there a dedicated number associated with it? If there is, why can't they use that? Moreover, Google's disturbingly chummy relationship and close ties with the federal government, make me very reticent to trust them with even more personal information than they already collect from emails and searches.
King Of Email is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Aug 2011, 01:26 PM   #2
chrisretusn

I've seen that before, at least it's optional, though that part does not stand out to well as you have said. I guess if they ever make it mandatory I will give up my Google account.

It's not just Google that is doing this. Facebook also makes it seem like you are less secure unless you give them your number. Yahoo! make the case of less security also.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2011, 05:39 PM   #3
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
I've seen that before, at least it's optional, though that part does not stand out to well as you have said. I guess if they ever make it mandatory I will give up my Google account.

It's not just Google that is doing this. Facebook also makes it seem like you are less secure unless you give them your number. Yahoo! make the case of less security also.
Yes but for how long will it stay an option. So what other email should one make use of?

Okay that depends on ones needs. One can have one provider for every special need.

I use hotmail for same need as throw away accounts to give away to strangers.
But most likely them will tighten up "security" too. Yahoo is going that way too.

so what is left? Fastmail only have under 100MB on teh free guest account.

Myopera is more generous but many of you are used to the Fastmail look when you log in while others like me have no idea what that is all about. We are happy just to have something for free

I agree I don't want to give my phone number. The spam to smartphones can be very costly. A young son played with his mothers smart phone. him 8 years or so and that cost her huge sum of money for just a few clicks he did there.

But it looked "Free" and "Gratis" when she looked at it. Them had kept hidden that when one start to play then every hit cost money.

A legal grey or gray zone. There is a warning somewhere but most people don't see it but the legal authorities accept that the warning of costs is there somewhere even if none ever see it

So nope I don't want such sent to my phone from "partners" or third related such.

Is my.opera.com the way to go then. What else?
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2011, 01:50 AM   #4
chuckster

when in doubt head to the source,

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...?answer=114129

btw i always skip the option to add my phone number.
chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2011, 07:53 AM   #5
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Email View Post
... Without a phone number, you could lose all access to your account if you forget your password or if your account is hijacked. ....
This is the key sentence: what they say is that they have limited control on hijacking of accounts and they are limiting their support for people that have their accounts hijacked but have not provided a phone number.
hadaso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2011, 11:24 AM   #6
mister
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
when in doubt head to the source,

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...?answer=114129

btw i always skip the option to add my phone number.

That's for Google Apps and it's NOT optional.The message he is talking about happens when
trying to log into your Gmail account.
MOD doesn't this belong in the Gmail forum?
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2011, 07:43 PM   #7
drew
The "e" in e-mail

I thnk Mister gets it right.
Quote:
I could be wrong but will gmail not demand mobile phone number sooner or later to allow one to log in at all?

I mean here in Europe them require of the ISP that them save logs of what IP ne use for at least 6 months and which one make a phone call to and what email is related to the computer and the mobile phone. So google maybe is required by European law to ask us for phone number? Or them prepare for it now knowing it will be required by law?
Old 31 Aug 2011, 11:20 PM   #8
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I could be wrong but will gmail not demand mobile phone number sooner or later to allow one to log in at all?
While anything may be possible (to coin an inaccurate cliche), I would think that could lead to their eventually losing a lot of advertising revenue, and therefore it might seem an extremely "dumb" move on their part. I don't think those running Google are quite that stupid, but I guess I can't say that for sure.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2011, 04:29 AM   #9
King Of Email

Lightbulb Google and your phone number

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
That's for Google Apps and it's NOT optional.The message he is talking about happens when
trying to log into your Gmail account.
Mister: Not really. This isn't about the pros and cons of Gmail or any specific utility related to the operation or functioning of Gmail. It's about Google's policies on gathering private data and personal information in order to use its services one of which is Gmail.

Drew: Google, as a private internet concern, can require users to submit any form of information or even pay in order to use its services including personal phone numbers. However, in such a case, I will immediately discontinue use of their services and find something else. My internet bill is already quite substantial as I am not only funding my own internet access, but every freeloading local government and school system that provides its users "free" internet access on the taxpayer's dime. Unless Google is willing to pay my phone bill and I consent to such a bargain, that number stays with me.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 04:47 AM   #10
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn
I've seen that before, at least it's optional
Indeed....... I got that and didnt enter anything!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2011, 05:47 AM   #11
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Email View Post
... I am not only funding my own internet access, but every freeloading local government and school system that provides its users "free" internet access on the taxpayer's dime. Unless Google is willing to pay my phone bill and I consent to such a bargain, that number stays with me.
you are also funding every freeloading local government that provides its users "free" road access. Does it mean you will not use any toll road unless the owner pays for your gas?
hadaso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2011, 01:12 PM   #12
King Of Email

Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
you are also funding every freeloading local government that provides its users "free" road access. Does it mean you will not use any toll road unless the owner pays for your gas?
If Google offers me free phone service as a condition of allowing them access to my number and other personal information, that's a consensual agreement I am free to accept or reject and there is no coercion there.

As for toll roads, the owner in this case is ultimately the taxpayer who is forced not only to fund the construction of the toll road through tolls and user fees, but provide the seed money to construct and repair these roads in perpetuity which is something that the numerous and onerous gas, vehicle, and transportation taxes are already supposed to fund even if one never sets foot on a toll road. That is coercion and taxation without transportation.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 06:55 PM   #13
mister
Essential Contributor

Hmm so I guess you won't be voting Google in the next election?
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2011, 09:58 PM   #14
chrisretusn

I sure hope Google or other services do not require cell phone numbers. I just don't see why they need it. I use my cell phone for two things, text messages and phone calls, that is it. It a cheap stupid phone as apposed to those smart ones. I have no plans on ever going mobile on-line. If can avoid it, I will never buy a smart phone, only stupid ones. Most of my Internet is on my desktop at home. Other than that, I have a laptop and a bootable USB stick if needed.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2011, 10:58 PM   #15
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Haha, my imagination tend to run wild at times.

Suppose many of us would buy the cheapest phone there is and then a prepaid SIM card that last one year for some 15USD or something. Some operators may have even cheaper and some more expensive. Then one could give Gmail and others that phone number?
One only use it as the internet confirmation that I am Drew Strawberry.
Would that work? Or would the ISP be required by authoirty to confirm by security social health services and Tax IRC whatever to confirm that I am Drew and not Friedrich Tannhauser grandson something.

I mean them do want total control so why would them accept that phone number?

Them are smarter than me so them realize that it is a one off number that have no relation to me as a known person.

And here is my evidence.
I got it confirmed when I made a phone call to the ISP of the SIM card. Them wanted to know my Land line number and them wanted to know my true identity and when I bought the cheap phone them too wanted to look at an ID card drivers license or something pretending it had to do with insurance or warranty of the product.

They where very insisting that I gave out some reliable info on whom I am.

I know why them do it. Bank Security Firm robbery all of them make use of cheap phones that is not related to anybody so for to stop such them want total control of whom use which phone so when there is a robbery them can scan for all mobiles and get where the criminals go by car to hide.

So in the end none will be allowed to sell a phone without checking up on the true identity of that buyer of the used phone or you get busted for selling a phone without knowing whom is the buyer.

I mean one need not only a Tin Hat one need a Austronaout Helmet armored with lead isolation