EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Mar 2014, 08:35 AM   #1
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

Feature: name master accounts anything

I find it odd that master accounts require a specific form of name. I doubt Fastmail's code actually checks the name, as opposed to an account property that's not really tied to the name, when determining the powers of an account. So why the silly restriction? You should be able to give any legal name to your master account.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Mar 2014, 12:19 PM   #2
kijinbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
I doubt Fastmail's code actually checks the name, as opposed to an account property that's not really tied to the name, when determining the powers of an account.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was stuff like

Code:
if (account.local_name == "masteruser") {
    // do something
}
hardcoded all over the place, instead of something more configurable, like

Code:
if (account.type == AccountTypes.MASTER_USER) {
    // do something
}
It happens in lots of companies
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2014, 12:51 PM   #3
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Actually we only have it hardcoded in a couple of places, both in ancient code. Most of the time those sorts of tests are done via explicit flags set on the account (in this case, "is this a business owner").

The real reason is simple: you're not supposed to use your master account for anything other than managing the business/family. It has more powers than most accounts which you don't want available most of the time. It already has tiny quota limits. By giving it a name that you don't want to use its even less likely that you'll use it.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2014, 12:08 AM   #4
Mystakill

Be glad that you're getting "masteruser@mydomain" with yours. Those of us who were in the family/business beta are stuck with "masteruser_mydomain@fastmail.net".

I never use the account though, since my account also has admin rights to manage accounts, domains, etc.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2014, 12:40 AM   #5
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post

I never use the account though, since my account also has admin rights to manage accounts, domains, etc.
Same here. Makes me wonder why bother to keep the main/master account? It would seem that, as long as one user account had admin rights, the master acct. could be removed without compromising the functioning of the other accounts. One less thing to worry about; one less password to store/remember.
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote