EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 May 2015, 02:15 AM   #1
intrloper

FastMail with Blackberry Classic, Help please

Just got a Blackberry Classic and need help badly please.

Was able to get mail working but it took longer than I would like for emails to show up.
Anything I can do about that please?

Found link to get CardDAV working, so far seems to work fine.

Another question if possible.

One of the things I love most about FastMail is the aliasing I can do, so far have about 40 setup for various things.

Is there anyway to be able to sent out emails from either the alias it was received on and/or able to pick the alias I want to send with.

Again any help would be amazing.

Last edited by intrloper : 16 May 2015 at 02:49 AM.
intrloper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 May 2015, 02:58 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Simulating aliases on the BB becomes really messy. You need to pretend they are separate accounts. Create a dummy folder (called something like DummyInbox) and have the aliases be POP "accounts" with email address alias@domain, and user youruser+DummyInbox@fastmail.com

I have made this work in the past, but it is not pretty.

The delay for the push email varies, but my experience is that it is not great and you have little control over it.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2015, 11:09 AM   #3
OLee

Blackberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrloper View Post
Just got a Blackberry Classic and need help badly please.

Was able to get mail working but it took longer than I would like for emails to show up.
Anything I can do about that please?

Found link to get CardDAV working, so far seems to work fine.
intrloper,

I also have been looking at the new Blackberry phones. It looks like a good way to get further away from Google.

I'm happy to see you have CardDAV working. Did you find the link you mentioned on FastMail or Blackberry? If it was on Blackberry, would you mind sharing it with me. I do have the documentation link from FastMail, which is very good. You can post it here or send me a PM. Thanks.

OLee
OLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2015, 02:40 PM   #4
intrloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLee View Post
intrloper,

I also have been looking at the new Blackberry phones. It looks like a good way to get further away from Google.

I'm happy to see you have CardDAV working. Did you find the link you mentioned on FastMail or Blackberry? If it was on Blackberry, would you mind sharing it with me. I do have the documentation link from FastMail, which is very good. You can post it here or send me a PM. Thanks.

OLee
was here: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...5&postcount=22

I noticed that CardDAV if I have the web interface up and then edit from my phone it changes instantly on the web. However I edited a few on the web and the phone never has shown the changes.

Anything I am missing or that can be done?
Old 17 May 2015, 12:56 AM   #5
krimlin
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I noticed that CardDAV if I have the web interface up and then edit from my phone it changes instantly on the web. However I edited a few on the web and the phone never has shown the changes.

Anything I am missing or that can be done?
The phone will upload every change made to the CardDAV entries instantly to the server. The other way around it just sticks to the sync interval you can set at the CardDAV settings, to see if there was any change at the server since the last sync. So this protocol works a bit differently than Exchange does.
krimlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2015, 03:56 AM   #6
intrloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimlin View Post
The phone will upload every change made to the CardDAV entries instantly to the server. The other way around it just sticks to the sync interval you can set at the CardDAV settings, to see if there was any change at the server since the last sync. So this protocol works a bit differently than Exchange does.
Waited over a day and still no server to phone sync.

Also have another issue, when I delete an email from phone it either doesnt update on site/server end OR it disappears completely. Not sure why.

Last edited by intrloper : 17 May 2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old 17 May 2015, 04:30 AM   #7
krimlin
Essential Contributor

Can you post your CardDAV settings here, so I can check if I've something different? Everything works fine for me on a BlackBerry Z30.
Old 17 May 2015, 05:48 AM   #8
intrloper

I used the settings found here: http://pastebin.com/dLsAUwZ8

I of course used my email address where needed. The sync interval is set to 5 min.
Old 17 May 2015, 08:07 AM   #9
OLee

Quote:
I used the settings found here: http://pastebin.com/dLsAUwZ8

I of course used my email address where needed. The sync interval is set to 5 min.
Thank you for sending the link.

I'm no expert in this area, however, a suggestion might be to set your sync interval to a little longer than 5 minutes. Maybe 30 minutes or more, at least until everything gets smoothed out. CardDAV at FastMail is in early development and the system may need a little extra time to complete each sync until everything gets fully worked out.

I've tried manually syncing CardDAV several times immediately after modifying a contact and it doesn't usually work instantly. However, if I just wait, everything will eventually get synced and all is fine and all my devices get synced. Currently I am using CardDAV on Android.

OLee
OLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2015, 07:25 PM   #10
krimlin
Essential Contributor

I use it with the same settings, but my sync interval is set to 4 hours. I remember that it used to work with 2 hours as well. It might be worth a try for you.