EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 6 Sep 2021, 10:53 AM   #61
donlibes

Tuffmail subscriber since 2007. I had family members using it, too, that I'm responsible for so I kept that in mind when hunting for a replacement.

Despite the uninspiring name, I decided to go with Runbox which offered what we needed and is less expensive than what I was paying Tuffmail. Runbox gave us a lot more space and had one other nice feature I've always wanted: "+" addresses.

Another compelling feature for choosing Runbox: Very good documentation - starting with the steps needed to move accounts and actual emails. After my last brutal experience (admittedly, years ago) trying to move large email archives from one service to another, I liked seeing this mentioned right on the home page.

We've been using Runbox for a few weeks and have no complaints. Support has been responsive to my questions.

My last email to John Capo:
Quote:
Thanks for the individual support over the years. I know email support is harder than everyone thinks (including me) and no doubt your customers were more demanding than most. Hope you've been able to save enough to retire or for whatever the next chapter in your life is. If you have the time, think about writing a book about what it's like to run an email service, especially one as unique as yours in a such a competitive and everchanging landscape. Books may not make much money but it could be revelatory to many. I'd sure love to hear things from your perspective.

PS: Thanks for the long lead time for finding another provider and the recommendations. You are very helpful, as always.
donlibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2021, 05:18 PM   #62
Bamb0
Master of the @

That was a nice email to him.....

Welcome to EMD
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2021, 08:55 PM   #63
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlibes View Post
Another compelling feature for choosing Runbox: Very good documentation - starting with the steps needed to move accounts and actual emails. After my last brutal experience (admittedly, years ago) trying to move large email archives from one service to another, I liked seeing this mentioned right on the home page.

We've been using Runbox for a few weeks and have no complaints. Support has been responsive to my questions.
Good choice. Only concern is Runbox 7. That is not developing well.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2021, 04:20 AM   #64
donlibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Good choice. Only concern is Runbox 7. That is not developing well.
I don't use webmail. Should I be concerned anyway?
Old 9 Sep 2021, 04:38 AM   #65
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I don't use webmail. Should I be concerned anyway?
I have no concerns about the viability of Runbox - granted that RB7 has been in beta for quite a few years now, but I have no problems currently using RB6 or a local client.

A very big plus for me is their support, they have always been quick to respond to any queries, and I've established a good working relationship with them.

To show my faith in Runbox, my account is paid up to 2025.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2021, 12:52 PM   #66
donlibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I have no concerns about the viability of Runbox - granted that RB7 has been in beta for quite a few years now, but I have no problems currently using RB6 or a local client.

A very big plus for me is their support, they have always been quick to respond to any queries, and I've established a good working relationship with them.

To show my faith in Runbox, my account is paid up to 2025.
Do we get discounts for that? Or are you doing it to lock in the price? Does Runbox have a notorious history of raising prices? (I don't mind reasonable increases.)

I hate to sound pessimistic but since I'm paying for a bunch of family members, some of whom could, ahem, go at any time, I wonder if Runbox would allow me to apply those future credits to my other accounts.
Old 9 Sep 2021, 04:30 PM   #67
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Do we get discounts for that? Or are you doing it to lock in the price? Does Runbox have a notorious history of raising prices?
If you sign up and pay within 24 hours you get an extra year added on to your subscription, and in October last year they offered another free year to celebrate 20 years for new purchases and renewals.

I renewed my account at this point to take advantage of their offer.

I don't recall any recent price increases, although they have increased their storage capacity per account.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2021, 07:17 AM   #68
Kodiologist

I've finally taken the plunge and switched to Fastmail. All seems well so far. Historically this is kind of funny because I used Fastmail's free service some 15 years ago, back when it had a free service, before switching to Tuffmail. It has everything I need: custom domain support, IMAP IDLE, lots of aliases, and custom Sieve scripts. It's a pity I'm paying nearly twice as much as for Tuffmail ($43.55 / year vs. $24 / year), but at least it comes with a quite generous storage quota (30 gigs).
Kodiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2021, 09:55 PM   #69
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiologist View Post
I've finally taken the plunge and switched to Fastmail. All seems well so far. Historically this is kind of funny because I used Fastmail's free service some 15 years ago, back when it had a free service, before switching to Tuffmail. It has everything I need: custom domain support, IMAP IDLE, lots of aliases, and custom Sieve scripts. It's a pity I'm paying nearly twice as much as for Tuffmail ($43.55 / year vs. $24 / year), but at least it comes with a quite generous storage quota (30 gigs).
inbox.eu 100GB for only 10EUR.
jeffpan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2021, 11:09 PM   #70
balaji

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
inbox.eu 100GB for only 10EUR.
Just €3 per year, the thing that's holding me back is that they don't allow sending mails from aliases.
balaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2021, 04:10 AM   #71
hydrostarr

Question Revisiting Tuffmail-shutdown stuff on Oct 25: 3 questions

Checking in on Tuffmail-shutting-down situation, 3 questions:

1. Is there any "real" chance that a qualified someone (or some team) takes over (from John Capo) such that Tuffmail can continue running beyond Jan 1, 2022 (in about 2 months)?

This was discussed earlier in this thread, with no apparent feasibility for a new Tuffmail manager to take control... but I'm double-checking to see if I can avoid all the work below.

2. Assuming the answer to #1 (above) is "no": should I discuss the following effort here, in this thread, or start a new EmailDiscussions.com thread (similar to what was done in this "Mx records vs forwarding" thread) and link to it here, in this thread?

I want to perform a more-detailed assessment of feature loss or gain when moving (my email services, at least) from Tuffmail to other email-service options (like Fastmail, Runbox, Rollernet, MXroute, my own email server, or others). I might be focusing on what I'm initially calling the "filters + forwarding + folders (fff)" feature set... which I can detail more later. I want to do this as much for me to _understand_ all the features I'm currently using in Tuffmail as to do the feature comparison between email-service options. I can see using some external document like a Google Sheet to define, detail, and overview this stuff, but I'm not yet certain.

I am fairly-strongly leaning towards starting a new thread for this detailed feature definition and comparison, as I suspect such an effort deserves it's own, focused thread.

A potentially key note: monetary cost differences/savings is -not- (or at least, not yet) a significant issue for me (it seems to be a bigger point, often the primary issue, for many others). Understanding what capabilities/features I'm losing or gaining when moving off of Tuffmail, regardless of cost, is the key point.

3. Are there any other online-community-discussion places beyond EmailDiscussions.com better suited for this discussion (like a subreddit)?

I want to make sure I'm privvy to all the more-effective community resources.

Last edited by hydrostarr : 26 Oct 2021 at 05:37 AM.
hydrostarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2021, 05:43 AM   #72
ReuvenNY

A new thread is a good option. If you do, I can have your posting above be the first in the thread.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2021, 06:00 AM   #73
hydrostarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
A new thread is a good option. If you do, I can have your posting above be the first in the thread.
Copy that, thanks. I'm not sure I want or need all the above content at the top of the new thread, but we'll see, it's nice to have that option. In any case, I've got the ball to create this new thread and it's supportive content, analysis, etc.

Thanks ReuvenNY for providing and managing this excellent EmailDiscussions.com community resource.
hydrostarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2021, 08:52 AM   #74
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Hot off the press

Just arrived in my mailbox.

Quote:
Hello Tuffmail Customer,

We're happy to announce that Fastmail.com will be providing a new home for Tuffmail email addresses. If you want to keep your Tuffmail email addresses, follow the instructions below to create a Fastmail account and set up your addresses. You can reclaim your Tuffmail addresses even if you have deleted your Tuffmail account after July 15, and maybe before that.

1. Go to https://Fastmail.com/tuffmail and sign up for a Fastmail account. You'll get 20% off your first year.

2. Once your Fastmail account is created and you are logged in, Click Settings -> Sending Identities -> Add Identity. Enter any Tuffmail email addresses you want to keep.

3. Fastmail will email a confirmation code to your Tuffmail address. Enter that code, and you're set up to send mail from your new Fastmail account.

4. At that point, please forward all your Tuffmail mail to your new Fastmail account. You'll read it there from now on! Please contact support@tuffmail.net if you need help setting up forwarding to your new Fastmail account.

On January 1, 2022, Fastmail will take over mail handling for tuffmail.com and all our associated domains. Any addresses that have not been claimed at that point will have their mail rejected.

Best Regards,
John Capo
Tuffmail.com
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2021, 08:53 AM   #75
donlibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrostarr View Post
I want to perform a more-detailed assessment of feature loss or gain when moving (my email services, at least) from Tuffmail to other email-service options (like Fastmail, Runbox, Rollernet, MXroute, my own email server, or others). I might be focusing on what I'm initially calling the "filters + forwarding + folders (fff)" feature set... which I can detail more later. I want to do this as much for me to _understand_ all the features I'm currently using in Tuffmail as to do the feature comparison between email-service options.
It's a laudable goal but I am skeptical it can be done in a way that would satisfy without a huge effort and a huge spreadsheet. While some items are simple ("How much space do you get at what price?"), many other items are subtle and difficult to compare.

Consider spam detection: Tuffmail had an eclectic set of features and options. I can't imagine how I'd match those up with other providers. And even for nominally similar spam-handling, it's tricky. For example, tuffmail and runbox (my new provider) both use SpamAssassin but they have chosen different SA rulesets! How are you possibly going to put this into a spreadsheet? The options both have for filtering is similarly hard to compare. And so on.