EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Sep 2020, 05:06 AM   #1
jaybea28309

Shared Rules between email accounts

I have an old email address which only has a few defined legitimate senders, so it works quite well as a honeypot account, because anything that is sent there from another sender is always spam, and I often see the same spam messages hitting my other accounts.

Is there a way that I can use the messages identified as spam on this account to generate spam filtering rules on my other accounts? It needs something like a set of rules on the master account for the domain which does some high level filtering before the mail hits the rule sets on the individual email accounts.
jaybea28309 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Sep 2020, 06:14 AM   #2
emoore
Essential Contributor

I'm using a legacy account. Do the current plans still support individually trainable bayes databases for each user? If so you could move spam messages from the honeypot to the designated folder in the master account, so that it learns to recognize similar messages as spam. That would be easier and more robust than modifying rules sets in multiple accounts. That folder can be the same folder as your normal spam folder though you might prefer to use a different folder to make it easier to review your normal spam folder for errors that the global spam filtering made.

https://fastmail.blog/2007/08/31/imp...yes-databases/

I use a email client rather than webmail with fastmail and don't have shared accounts so I'm not sure how to automate that. If the new rules system doesn't let you move a message to another accounts mailbox perhaps a Sieve script does.
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2020, 10:41 PM   #3
jaybea28309

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoore View Post
I use a email client rather than webmail with fastmail and don't have shared accounts so I'm not sure how to automate that. If the new rules system doesn't let you move a message to another accounts mailbox perhaps a Sieve script does.
I use an email client too (TheBat), and I could automatically copy messages categorised as spam in one account into the spam folders of the other accounts using filters, so that could be a useful experiment, although it would only work when the email client on my PC is running.
jaybea28309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #4
emoore
Essential Contributor

Sieve scripts might let you do what you want. It will run automatically upon the server receiving the new message. Think of it as server side message filtering.

You might be able to use a redirect command in a Sieve script to copy a spam message from the honeypot to a spam folder in another account if you use plus addressing to specify the destination folder as part of the other accounts email address.

I had hoped you might be able to use the fileinto command instead but that doesn't seem to support any way to specify a folder in another account.

See https://www.fastmail.com/help/technical/sieve.html and forwarding messages in https://support.tigertech.net/sieve

See the writeup on plus addressing in https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/addressing.html
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM   #5
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybea28309 View Post
Is there a way that I can use the messages identified as spam on this account to generate spam filtering rules on my other accounts? It needs something like a set of rules on the master account for the domain which does some high level filtering before the mail hits the rule sets on the individual email accounts.
Can you forward them directly into your spam folder using the [email protected]<username>.<domain>.<tld> addressing format?

Or autoforward from that account to your normal inbox but have a rule that anything forwarded from that account is marked as read and put into the spam folder?
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote