EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Sep 2021, 08:59 AM   #1
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

New section spotted in the Sieve code...

2b. Sieve generated for disabled masked email addresses

I think a "masked" email address might also be considered a disposable email address (alias) and 2b is for handing such addresses which are no longer wanted. I guess it's a work in progress since I see nothing else in the UI to support this.

I create disposables using a single alias. For example if bar@mm.st is the alias then foo@bar.mm.st can be a disposable alias based on the actual alias and allow FM's fuzzy folder matching to do the sorting. But to handle "removal" of such disposables requires additional code. That, I think, would be more-or-less equivalent to what that new section 2b is for FM's "masked" addresses.

Of course I could be way off base. Time will tell.

Note, I submitted a ticket asking about this to see if my theory is correct.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Sep 2021, 11:23 PM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

There’s some Fastmail fuzz on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/fastmail/status/...768435201?s=21
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2021, 11:00 PM   #3
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
2b. Sieve generated for disabled masked email addresses

I think a "masked" email address might also be considered a disposable email address (alias) and 2b is for handing such addresses which are no longer wanted. I guess it's a work in progress since I see nothing else in the UI to support this.

I create disposables using a single alias. For example if bar@mm.st is the alias then foo@bar.mm.st can be a disposable alias based on the actual alias and allow FM's fuzzy folder matching to do the sorting. But to handle "removal" of such disposables requires additional code. That, I think, would be more-or-less equivalent to what that new section 2b is for FM's "masked" addresses.

Of course I could be way off base. Time will tell.

Note, I submitted a ticket asking about this to see if my theory is correct.
Congratulations xyzzy! I think you were the first person outside of Fastmail (and of course, 1Password) to notice this feature:

https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/a...1-Masked-Email
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2021, 06:04 AM   #4
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
Congratulations xyzzy! I think you were the first person outside of Fastmail (and of course, 1Password) to notice this feature:

https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/a...1-Masked-Email
Heh, just saw the reply to my ticket a few minutes ago!

I haven't played around with these as yet but my initial feeling is that if you don't have your own custom domain (I don't, I use a forwarding service, or can the domains be FM alias domains?) I'm not sure if these are any better than doing what I have been doing. Using 1password may be some advantage but like I said I have to read the documentation first and digest (and play around with) this new feature.

Last edited by xyzzy : 29 Sep 2021 at 06:09 AM.
Old 29 Sep 2021, 05:45 PM   #5
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Looks like it wont be free in the near future.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2021, 06:03 PM   #6
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Looks like it wont be free in the near future.
Huh?

I've now played around with these masked addresses and I still prefer to stick with using my overloaded email addresses as I mentioned in my first post here.

To summerize...

My masked/temporary/disposable email addresses are created on the fly as I need them by "overloading" a alias created for the purpose. Sorting is automatically done for me based on the local part I choose and the alias's target setting. Also, since it's based on an alias my actual account domain is not part of the email addresses.

For deletion all I need is to add the email address to an one of 3 lists in my Sieve code (trivial editing albeit not clicking an option like FM masked UI) to either reject, trash, or reject and save a copy depending on which list they are on.

Since I don't use 1password I do not know what, if anything, this adds to FM's "masked" email addresses aside for some integration between it and FM. But I assume I could still tell 1password an email address and its corresponding password if I were to use it.

Last edited by xyzzy : 29 Sep 2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 29 Sep 2021, 06:40 PM   #7
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I think they will charge for the 1password but I may be wrong
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2021, 06:56 PM   #8
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Oh, that's what you are referring to. Didn't understand. At any rate it appears 1Password is 25% off the first year according to what I read here.

Hmm, or is that for new FM customers only?
Old 1 Oct 2021, 08:47 AM   #9
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
AgileBits charges for 1Password. Why did you think it was free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
Oh, that's what you are referring to. Didn't understand. At any rate it appears 1Password is 25% off the first year according to what I read here.

Hmm, or is that for new FM customers only?
It seemed pretty clear to me. If you have an account at Fastmail but not with 1Password, you can get 25% off the first year of 1Password. If you're currently a 1Password customer but don't use Fastmail, you can get 25% off the first year of Fastmail.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote