EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 10 Jun 2019, 04:36 PM   #1
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
a new beta provider - purelymail.com

Cheap, no-nonsense email
Let's get straight to the point:
  • We host your email address.
  • Our service is IMAP and POP3 compatible, and works with most mail apps.
  • You get webmail too, provided by Roundcube.
  • There are no arbitrary limits- have as many users and store as much mail as you want.
  • Bring your own domain, or use one of ours.
  • It's cheap. Really, really cheap.

go here.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Jun 2019, 07:46 PM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Can't imagine that there is still a market for new email providers. Nothing special about it. Maybe the price. Also a one man show, it seems.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2019, 09:19 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Looks good, though I am always wary of websites that don't provide much information on the About page, like an address and such. The physical location of the provider can make a difference with privacy laws, the ability to contact the person, latency, etc.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2019, 09:51 PM   #4
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Looks interesting - Fast loading site to. The way they charge is also unusual but it is cheaper than a lot of other providers around.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2020, 12:00 AM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

I stumbled upon a review of Purelymail here: https://rolisz.ro/2020/04/11/moving-away-from-gmail/

Still in Beta, but sounds like they are making progress. It is a one-man show run by Scott Johnson. They now have a flat price tier of only $10 a year in addition to their unusual "Advanced Pricing" that charges you for actual resource usage. Has to be one of the least expensive options for domain email going.
Old 13 Apr 2020, 03:07 AM   #6
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I like the domainname However, I'm sceptic towards services run by one person. Is there any business plan in order to keep the service going for the long term? What if that one person gets disinterested or lacks the time to keep the service running? I'd feel more tempted to give this a try if there were at least plans to expand the team behind the service.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2020, 03:50 AM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Is there any business plan in order to keep the service going for the long term?
I have no idea--maybe ask the owner. With a really small provider like this I would have to set it up in such a way that I could quickly switch away if something went wrong. I would definitely imap or pop all the email on a regular basis to some other email provider I could switch to quickly. On the other hand, you know you are reaching someone in the know when you send a question!
Old 19 Apr 2020, 07:11 AM   #8
TenFour
Master of the @

One other thought on one-man or very small email providers. I would be worried about trusting my email solely to such a small outfit, but as I noted above with proper IMAP or POP setup you should be able to maintain a continuous backup of your email data at another provider or in a local app like Thunderbird. The one huge advantage I see with such a small outfit is being able to reach an actual human being who knows what is going on. It is so, so frustrating with the large ones to encounter some issue with no hope of reaching any real person who might be able to help. With a service like Gmail, which I use and love, you are at the mercy of AI-powered systems that have none of the RI (real intelligence) you need to solve the problem.