EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Sep 2022, 11:48 AM   #1
truemagic

[Solved] Show in sidebar not working with subfolders

I would like "show in sidebar=always hide" in parent folder to be inherited by subfolders so that I can hide the entire parent folder for good.

More of a suggestion to FM team.

Last edited by truemagic : 23 Sep 2022 at 05:10 PM.
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Sep 2022, 06:08 PM   #2
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Do you mean just in selected sub-folders and their children?

Because if not, and you mean for all sub-folders, you can turn off the Sidebar completely in Settings - Preferences - (scroll to bottom) - Advanced Preferences.

Then when you need the Sidebar visible for navigation to another folder you can briefly access it via the "menu" icon at the top left of the window.

Otherwise, you'll need to open a Support ticket with FM themselves, as they won't see your suggestion here.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2022, 08:20 PM   #3
truemagic

Thanks for replying, Jeremy!

Quote:
Do you mean just in selected sub-folders and their children?
Yeah there's a subfolder "XYZ" under Inbox and there are some 5-6 subfolders nested under folder XYZ.

I wish to hide XYZ from appearing in the sidebar together with all its subfolders. Does not seem to work, guess it's a feature request at best

Quote:
Because if not, and you mean for all sub-folders, you can turn off the Sidebar completely in Settings - Preferences - (scroll to bottom) - Advanced Preferences.

Then when you need the Sidebar visible for navigation to another folder you can briefly access it via the "menu" icon at the top left of the window.
Interesting as I don't see an option to turn off sidebar completely in Settings - Preferences - (scroll to bottom) - Advanced Preferences. Tried it with both mobile app and web but the option is not there. Could be that you're on some beta version and I'm not?
Old 21 Sep 2022, 10:28 PM   #4
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemagic View Post
Yeah there's a subfolder "XYZ" under Inbox and there are some 5-6 subfolders nested under folder XYZ.

I wish to hide XYZ from appearing in the sidebar together with all its subfolders. Does not seem to work, guess it's a feature request at best
Have you tried using the 'Edit' button? It's available (on both web UI and app to me anyway, probably to you as well). The Show and Hide options may work to do what you want.
https://i.postimg.cc/DykpRh1c/Screen...1663762335.jpg

- bruce

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 21 Sep 2022 at 10:33 PM.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2022, 04:43 AM   #5
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Interesting as I don't see an option to turn off sidebar completely in Settings - Preferences - (scroll to bottom) - Advanced Preferences. Tried it with both mobile app and web but the option is not there. Could be that you're on some beta version and I'm not?
I'm not using the Beta, just the normal webmail system via Firefox on a laptop.

The behaviour of that part of Settings when one toggles display of Advanced Preferences on is a bit weird (I think). See screenshot of the relevant display that I see when I turn that on, at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqrwoow521...splay.jpg?dl=0

and note that (because I just turned display of the advanced preferences on) the toggle line now says "Hide...". /I/ think it's weird that it looks as if it's part of the "Calendar" options. The bit that matters is the first of the options in sub-group "Advanced" just under the Calendar ones.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2022, 12:01 PM   #6
truemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
Have you tried using the 'Edit' button? It's available (on both web UI and app to me anyway, probably to you as well). The Show and Hide options may work to do what you want.
https://i.postimg.cc/DykpRh1c/Screen...1663762335.jpg

- bruce
Hi, thanks for the idea, I did try clicking in "Edit" but what it does js bringing me to the folder list with show and hide options which is not inherited i.e. my folder has other subfolders which are set to anything other than hide, then the parent folder will still be shown.

For example, I like to set "hide if empty" for Trash so the Trash folder is hidden on my sidebar if it's empty, very neat. But I would like to have "always hide" for folders such as Archive and my custom folder, it works until I have another level of subfolders because their "show and hide" preference ultimately affects the parent folder as well :-)
Old 22 Sep 2022, 12:20 PM   #7
somdcomputerguy

Ya, I have just noticed this thru experimentation. After a few minutes though I discovered that if ALL the folders are selected and the parent in question and its' children as well are edited (but only one folder has to be actually edited), then those selected folders will be affected.

- bruce
Old 23 Sep 2022, 04:55 PM   #8
truemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
I'm not using the Beta, just the normal webmail system via Firefox on a laptop.

The behaviour of that part of Settings when one toggles display of Advanced Preferences on is a bit weird (I think). See screenshot of the relevant display that I see when I turn that on, at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqrwoow521...splay.jpg?dl=0

and note that (because I just turned display of the advanced preferences on) the toggle line now says "Hide...". /I/ think it's weird that it looks as if it's part of the "Calendar" options. The bit that matters is the first of the options in sub-group "Advanced" just under the Calendar ones.
Thanks Jeremy, good to know I can actually hide the sidebar completely (from the web). However I prefer to have sidebar shown all the time because my screen is too empty without sidebars
Old 23 Sep 2022, 05:04 PM   #9
truemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
Ya, I have just noticed this thru experimentation. After a few minutes though I discovered that if ALL the folders are selected and the parent in question and its' children as well are edited (but only one folder has to be actually edited), then those selected folders will be affected.

- bruce
Wow, what a finding! You're my savior of the day

For others who need this, you can go to Settings - Folders - Select multiple folders (clicking on the checkboxes) and click the "Edit" on the top (not beside individual folder). That will allow us to configure a few settings in bulk, neat!

P.S. Can only do this with Web UI, not through app though, but that's fine.

Refer this screenshot as an illustration

https://i2.paste.pics/6230f2e965d52a...77dd548e31.png

Thanks Bruce for your great finding. Really appreciates it!
Old 24 Sep 2022, 02:15 AM   #10
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

While folders are discussed: I am really annoyed by not being able to duplicate folder properties to a new folder. I would prefer to be able to create a new folder based on the properties of an existing one to the current situation that when I create a folder I have to manually set all the properties manually.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2022, 05:59 AM   #11
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Thanks Bruce for your great finding. Really appreciates it!
You bet. Glad it helps you out.

- bruce