EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 10 Feb 2024, 02:36 PM   #1
truemagic

Skiff.com is shutting down

Never trust any NEW email provider.
They literally say will give 6 months for users to migrate out or refund but I highly doubt they will honor that.
So if you have an account or domain hosted with skiff, I suggest you to export your important emails immediately before they pull the plug anytime now.
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Feb 2024, 08:06 PM   #2
malcontent
Essential Contributor

https://skiff.com/data-migration
malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2024, 11:48 PM   #3
Bamb0
Master of the @

Thumbs down

Thats sad.... Most all the good ones go. ALL THE CRAP STAYS!! (Gmail,yahoo which arent easy to sign up for)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2024, 02:42 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Wow, all that work wasted!
Quote:
As we begin to shift focus to our shared efforts with Notion, we will be closing down Skiff's product suite after a 6-month sunset period We are deeply appreciative of the trust users have extended to us, and we are committed to honoring that trust by ensuring that all data on Skiff is easily exportable. For the next 6 months, Skiff services will continue to operate without disruption, and users can freely duplicate, migrate, or export data.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2024, 11:14 PM   #5
xylon

it's absolutely bad news. it was once thought to be a service that could fight the proton, even though it was ugly。
xylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2024, 09:31 PM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Thats sad.... Most all the good ones go. ALL THE CRAP STAYS!! (Gmail,yahoo which arent easy to sign up for)
I rather like the way Gmail works--reliable, simple interface, fast, no charge, useful free additional services. But, the closing of Skiff once again points out how important longevity is for your main email service. I would be very reluctant to use any free email address except from the huge ones like Google or Outlook.com, and even the latter one I don't have much faith in being around in say 10 years. Gmail is such a core part of Google it is hard to imagine it going away, but most of the others should be treated as temporary. Some will say you must use your own domain email and then you are set for life, but even then you have to have a plan for migrating your emails out or backing them up. And then what happens when you die if you want loved ones to still be able to access your domain email? Will someone be up to migrating your domain email to another provider if your email service shuts down?
Old 19 Feb 2024, 09:48 AM   #7
Bamb0
Master of the @

A few months ago I emailed them and told them how easy it was to setup an account. They didnt mention shutting down...
Old 19 Feb 2024, 08:05 PM   #8
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
A few months ago I emailed them and told them how easy it was to setup an account. They didn't mention shutting down...
Back then they probably didn't know they're going to shut down, and they haven't planned to shut down. Now they were sold to another company that doesn't want to continue their email business.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2024, 02:29 AM   #9
Bamb0
Master of the @

Red face

They should tell these peopel (Notion) that they will not let them take over if they dont keep the email going!!
Old 20 Mar 2024, 07:30 AM   #10
Bamb0
Master of the @

I just logged into my SKiff email and it doesnt say anything about them shutting down...

I hope maybe arent going to???
Old 20 Mar 2024, 07:33 AM   #11
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I just logged into my SKiff email and it doesnt say anything about them shutting down...

This was up thread:

Quote:
we will be closing down Skiff's product suite after a 6-month sunset period
Old 21 Mar 2024, 03:21 AM   #12
trikotret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post

https://skiff.com/data-migration

All Skiff services, including Mail, Pages, Calendar and Drive, will be sunsetting August 9, 2024, as part of Skiff's acquisition by Notion. Only automatic mail forwarding will continue to operate until February 9, 2025
trikotret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2024, 06:32 PM   #13
Bamb0
Master of the @