EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 25 Oct 2016, 09:30 AM   #16
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
i changed my yahoo passwords. one account i have keeps getting messages that someone is trying to access my account from an app not approved by yahoo..
See the reason for the message here:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account/SLN27791.html
My guess is that you have a device you configured to use Yahoo email which has one of those unapproved programs. You can either allow such access or not use that device.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2016, 10:18 AM   #17
cmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
See the reason for the message here:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account/SLN27791.html
My guess is that you have a device you configured to use Yahoo email which has one of those unapproved programs. You can either allow such access or not use that device.

Bill
Well the fact that they say someone with an ip from india, china and the US (when i am in canada) is trying to access i think excludes me. I only access it from firefox or chrome.
cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2016, 11:27 AM   #18
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Well the fact that they say someone with an ip from india, china and the US (when i am in canada) is trying to access i think excludes me. I only access it from firefox or chrome.
Ahh ... then be sure you have a long and complex password which isn't used anywhere else. I guess I'm not very popular, since I don't have any such login attempts at my rarely used Yahoo email account.

Bill
Old 26 Oct 2016, 01:24 AM   #19
cmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Ahh ... then be sure you have a long and complex password which isn't used anywhere else. I guess I'm not very popular, since I don't have any such login attempts at my rarely used Yahoo email account.

Bill
it only started happening a couple weeks ago, i rarely use the account. no clue why.
cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2016, 10:36 AM   #20
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I only have a Yahoo account for testing purposes - checking to see what the headers look like sending to my Fastmail account and other similar uses.

Bill
Old 15 Dec 2016, 07:40 AM   #21
ccl1
Essential Contributor

Yahoo might as well just close up shop Yahoo Discloses New Breach of 1 Billion User Accounts
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2016, 04:08 AM   #22
mailcheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccl1 View Post
Yahoo might as well just close up shop Yahoo Discloses New Breach of 1 Billion User Accounts
What's even more scarier is that Yahoo doesn't even know the cause of the hack.
mailcheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2016, 11:51 PM   #23
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I have had a yahoo acct for years don't use it much. Would use it more if it had pop3 feature and automatic forwarding. .
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2016, 08:34 PM   #24
Adam1

I have had my main email account (Yahoo, formerly Oddpost) since 2002 and have email going back nearly 15 years and I am very concerned about what is going on. I no longer confident with Yahoo handling my highly confidential, personal and private email messages. But I am at a loss at what to do. I don't want to lose either my emails or my @oddpost.com address. There doesn't seems to be an simple way of switching service like you would a bank account.
Adam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2016, 10:59 AM   #25
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Moving emails away from Yahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1 View Post
I have had my main email account (Yahoo, formerly Oddpost) since 2002 and have email going back nearly 15 years and I am very concerned about what is going on. I no longer confident with Yahoo handling my highly confidential, personal and private email messages. But I am at a loss at what to do. I don't want to lose either my emails or my @oddpost.com address. There doesn't seems to be an simple way of switching service like you would a bank account.
Welcome to the EMD Forums!

There is no way to keep your oddpost email address if you discontinue use of Yahoo. But you can move all of your existing emails from the Yahoo server to another service as follow:
  • Install an IMAP compatible email client program on your PC. I recommend Thunderbird.
  • Log into your Yahoo account. Set up two-factor authentication and be sure that the email security login setting is set to secure. Create an Application Password for Thunderbird. You need to copy this password down.
  • Create a Yahoo account in your Thunderbird client. All you need to do in Thunderbird is the following:
    • Click Local Folders in the tree at the left. You should then see a screen with choices for Accounts and Advanced Features.
    • Click Accounts>Create a new account: Email
    • At the bottom of the "Would you like a new email address?" screen click Skip this and use my existing email.
    • Set up a new IMAP/SMTP account for Yahoo. Enter your name, your Yahoo email address (the oddpost address should work), and the Thunderbird Application Password you created at the Yahoo website. Be sure that Remember password is checked.
    • Click Continue. Your password will be confirmed.
    • Thunderbird should then show your Yahoo folders at the left in the folder tree. If you get subscribed to all of your Yahoo folders, you can then get all of your Yahoo account emails downloaded into Thunderbird.
    • You can then set up Thunderbird with IMAP protocol for a new email service. For example, I recommend Fastmail.
    • Select and drag messages from Yahoo folders to local or another email service folder in Thunderbird. The selected messages will move between the servers and will also be available locally by default.
Bill
Old 28 Dec 2016, 06:11 PM   #26
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1 View Post

hi Adam1

might I suggest an extern fee software sollution to backup emails??

http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstor...archiving.aspx

its very good..I use it aswell.
Even for personal use I would NOT recommend Yahoo (nore AOL) as an email sollution. Its simply rubbish. I came to that conclusion allready some years ago. I am glad now more and more people see that. It's a pity to see such an email service going down the drain. I predict sooner or later Yahoo and AOL will merge into something realy realy terrible....and after that it will just disapear.

I might suggest Yandex or mail.ru as a (free) email service....they are very reliable and have tons of features and certainly are no less then Gmail or Outlook. For sure they have less spying!!

cheers

Dutchy.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2016, 10:06 AM   #27
rockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
hi Adam1

might I suggest an extern fee software sollution to backup emails??

http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstor...archiving.aspx
+1 for Mailstore - great product!

Besides, I think having more than 180 days / 6 months of personal email hosted online somewhere is too risky. Get all that old email off that Internet server and onto your personal mail store on your local PC, which is also backed up.
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2016, 02:55 AM   #28
Adam1

Bill, Dutchy and Rockman, thank you very much for your replies.

These are all great suggestions well worth serious contemplation. The most prudent option may be to use this Mailstore backup service of which you speak and then start anew with an email account on a different service. It'll be a shame to lose my simple email address I've had for nearly 15 years but that'll at least dial back the amount of spam I get, certainly in the short term. I'm currently on a paid Yahoo subscription so I don't grudge paying for a decent email service (as Oddpost was, for a nominal fee).

I share your point Rockman about too much historical email being stored online and at the mercy of hacker attacks like what has happened at Yahoo, and since mine goes back to 2002... perhaps I should remove all email over a certain age from online accounts and keep it solely local, I presume Mailstore will have a feature to do this. Just generally be more disciplined with it.

By the way, I have been registered with EMD since 2001 and was a "Master of the @" but I'm using a different account now. Of course back then the quest for the best email service was for the most part a three horse race between Fastmail, Runbox and Mailsnare - at least they had Edwin's seal of approval in the form of their own support Forum hosted here at EMD. I understand the latter fell by the wayside some time ago. I'm not sure what Runbox is like (I signed up for a trial account at the time and liked the interface) but I seem to recall a few years back someone on here saying it wasn't as good as it had been. As for Fastmail, I have a guest account that I use for signing up to websites that demand an email address that I don't wish to disclose my primary one. It's been spammed to within an inch of its life but in fairness that may have been through my own negligence. My parents use Fastmail on the one-off payment plan and are very satisfied with it.

Thanks again for you help guys.

Adam
Old 30 Dec 2016, 03:18 AM   #29
Adam1

PS.. I do use Thunderbird already - started using it a few years ago since Yahoo! Mail's interface was so terrible (I believe they have improved it somewhat since) and use IMAP to download the emails to Thunderbird and sync with the web account. It can be a bit clunky, but that may in part be due to the age of my computer. Plus the anti-spam mechanism is faulty - often genuine emails are incorrectly earmarked as spam and no matter how many times you try to correct it, it keeps chucking them back in the Junk folder.
Old 17 Mar 2017, 01:33 AM   #30
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

U.S. authorities charge Russian spies, hackers in huge Yahoo hack
Reuters March 15

The United States on Wednesday charged two Russian intelligence agents and two hackers with masterminding the 2014 theft of 500 million Yahoo accounts, the first time the U.S. government has criminally charged Russian spies for cyber offences.

The charges came amid a swirl of controversies relating to alleged Kremlin-backed hacking of the 2016 U.S. presidential election and possible links between Russian figures and associates of U.S. President Donald Trump. This has given rise to uncertainty about whether Trump is willing to respond forcefully to any action by Moscow in cyberspace and elsewhere.

The 47-count Justice Department indictment included charges of conspiracy, computer fraud and abuse, economic espionage, theft of trade secrets, wire fraud, access device fraud and aggravated identify theft. It painted a picture of the Russian security services working hand-in-hand with cyber criminals, who helped spies further their intelligence goals in exchange for using the same exploits to make money.

"The criminal conduct at issue, carried out and otherwise facilitated by officers from an FSB unit that serves as the FBI’s point of contact in Moscow on cyber crime matters, is beyond the pale,” Acting Assistant Attorney General Mary McCord said at a press conference announcing the charges.
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote