EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Jan 2013, 04:36 AM   #1
jkc054

More Fastmail glitches!

What the hell is wrong with Fastmail now? When I first tried to send an email that I composed Fastmail said that the email address was not valid. NOT TRUE. When I added the email address to my address book and composed another email again using the same email address and tried to send it Fastmail asked me if I wanted to send a blank message! Why is it asking me that since there clearly was a message typed in? When I clicked ok it sent the email but removed the message. Fastmail is a POS since they migrated to the new UI which is what I was using instead of the classic interface. Too bad I cannot upload a screenshot to this message showing you what I saw when I attempted to send the email.
jkc054 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Jan 2013, 08:36 AM   #2
jkc054

Wow. No comments to my question either from the forum or from Fastmail support. Someone please tell me again why I am paying $40 per year for an Enhanced account?
Old 6 Jan 2013, 09:35 AM   #3
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc054 View Post
Wow. No comments to my question either from the forum or from Fastmail support. Someone please tell me again why I am paying $40 per year for an Enhanced account?
It is the weekend....

Without screenshots, it is hard for us on the forums to help you. I do see from their status page that they are facing a server page as well.

I would suggest using the classic interface and see if that works better.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2013, 04:33 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc054 View Post
...When I first tried to send an email that I composed Fastmail said that the email address was not valid. NOT TRUE. ...
If you attempt to send using a destination address which is not allowed (such as an address containing a space character):
  • Using the new web interface (logging in without checking the classic box) you will receive a popup showing something such as:
    Code:
    Send Failed! Address 'ab d@efg.dom' is not valid
    You can then click Continue Editing and correct the error.
  • Using the classic web interface (logging in with the classic box checked) you will get a Complete Addressing full screen, allowing you to correct the address and send or cancel.
I know that you believe that you were using a correct email address, but since nobody else has experienced this problem I humbly suggest that you check the address you are using. Does the email address you are using have any characters other than alphanumeric, period, underscore, and contain exactly one @? You may be trying to use an address format which is technically allowable but not supported. My guess is that you have an email address formatting problem of some type.

Bill
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2013, 07:38 PM   #5
ROBERT.BAK
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Does the email address you are using have any characters other than alphanumeric, period, underscore, and contain exactly one @? You may be trying to use an address format which is technically allowable but not supported. My guess is that you have an email address formatting problem of some type.
As well as the characters you mention, Fastmail should at the very least allow To addresses with a + sign in the username part, since they support such addresses as the From address.

However, this highlights a serious general problem, which Fastmail may or may not suffer to some extent: there are one or more email address validation scripts out there which are very badly written, for they erroneously flag addresses which are in fact valid according to RFC2822 as "invalid". Having a plus sign in them is a common source of such false negatives, as is having an apostrophe, especially in the case of Irish email addresses which often have a username part in the form of O'<something>.
ROBERT.BAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2013, 09:42 PM   #6
curvefan
Essential Contributor

I'd be a little more concerned about the OP waiting this long to hear from the support guys.

To pay $40.00/year for email, I would expect pretty prompt support, holidays or not.

That was one of my problems with support as well, they were always days late in responding, if at all.

I have since downgraded and probably will be just letting the account go at some point.

Not to beat a dead horse, but they really should look at how they're handling support issues.

Just my thoughts....
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2013, 10:45 PM   #7
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Wow. No comments to my question {snip} from Fastmail support.
This forum is not a channel for official Fastmail support. Occasionally, there is a post or reply from a Fastmail 'employee', but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.. especially on a weekend..
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2013, 12:28 AM   #8
ROBERT.BAK
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
This forum is not a channel for official Fastmail support. Occasionally, there is a post or reply from a Fastmail 'employee', but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.. especially on a weekend..
And today is Epiphany (Twelfth Night). I don't know about Norway, but I've heard that today is the main Christmas celebration in some cultures...
ROBERT.BAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2013, 06:37 AM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT.BAK View Post
As well as the characters you mention, Fastmail should at the very least allow To addresses with a + sign in the username part, since they support such addresses as the From address.
Yes, many other characters are permitted, including +. For example, you can successfully send a message (which won't be delivered to this test domain) to:
Code:
test123456789#$%&'*+-/=_~@example.org
Fastmail (as well as many other providers) does not support double-quotes in outgoing addresses, and a few other technically allowed characters are not supported.

Bill
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2013, 06:49 AM   #10
digp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvefan View Post

To pay $40.00/year for email, I would expect pretty prompt support, holidays or not.

You are being very unrealistic. You are paying about 76c a week & you want instant support. How silly.
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2013, 08:18 AM   #11
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
You are being very unrealistic. You are paying about 76c a week & you want instant support. How silly.
Most software i buy comes with pretty poor support, but the software is very expensive. Most support costs extra these days. I spend more on other security internet services, etc. than I spend on email. Id live to get support on weekends and holidays. Most times that costs more. "Priority Support"
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2013, 11:20 AM   #12
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
Who said anything about "instant" support?

The OP apparently hasn't had support contact him/her in a number of days.

If I'm paying $40.00 per year for email, I would expect support to respond a lot sooner.

Maybe not "instantly", but a lot sooner than a few days.

Just my opinion......
Old 9 Jan 2013, 11:56 AM   #13
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
Who said anything about "instant" support?

The OP apparently hasn't had support contact him/her in a number of days.

If I'm paying $40.00 per year for email, I would expect support to respond a lot sooner.

Maybe not "instantly", but a lot sooner than a few days.

Just my opinion......
I would agree. It would seem that the FM fan boy/girls, are all too eager to jump in (to the defence) at even the slightest criticism of their favourite email service.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2013, 09:34 PM   #14
curvefan
Essential Contributor

I think everyone's entitled to their opinion on what type, and amount of service you should expect for $40.00/year.

Other competing services are now offering more features and better support at less cost than fastmail.

Again, my opinion.

I still think support is one area that fastmail needs to address if they don't want to go via the Dodo bird.

Again, my opinion.

Silly? You be the judge.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 01:18 PM   #15
jkc054

I tried to send an email again to the same address and it worked this time. Go figure. It didn't strip out the message contents this time.