EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Nov 2012, 07:05 PM   #76
jjuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmailuser View Post
Nothing is missing. The listed features are obsolete, only used by a small minority of users. Fastmail shouldn't be bloated with useless features, just because 0.5% of users want certain features.
Very interesting, what source is the 0.5% from? Are these 0.5% of paying or non-paying customers? Strong generalizations like this should come with reference to source. Otherwise they will be easily treated as spam.
jjuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2012, 07:10 PM   #77
ewal
Master of the @

Whatever the stat may be I would include myself in that. I prefer to pay good money for a service that has such features rather than a free service that locks me in a garden.

On a separate note, I wonder if Edwin the forum owner here would allow me to change my username to 'Fmailuser'?

Ed
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2012, 10:56 PM   #78
Gmailuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuser View Post
Very interesting, what source is the 0.5% from? Are these 0.5% of paying or non-paying customers? Strong generalizations like this should come with reference to source. Otherwise they will be easily treated as spam.
Considering the total number of people who use Fastmail, and people who complain in this forum.

I think they will implement the "missing" features sooner or later.

I used Gmail before, but I have been using Fastmail for almost a year (enhanced personal account).
Gmailuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2012, 10:29 AM   #79
Shelded

Gmailuser, your credibility is next to negligible. The best face I have seen to put on what you're saying is that you don't expect much from your email, and, well, you're satisfied with this. So be it, it's a good thing you're happy. Probably some market research would place you in the majority.

But if you don't perceive the lack of features at least forbear denigrating other people's opinions by minimalizing them as the 0.5% and so on. I find both interfaces barely usable, compared to what I used to be able to do. I do not feel Opera compensated for my loss of the old interface at all.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2012, 07:04 PM   #80
ndoylend

At least FM in their recent email newsletter seem to acknowledge that the roll-out of the new interface wasn't well managed. I hope over time the missing features find their way into the new interface but I won't hold my breath. It's somewhat reassuring to note that FM have 'no plans to retire the classic interface', so I guess that's the preferred option for those of us who find the new interface unsatisfactory.
ndoylend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2012, 07:06 AM   #81
Shelded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
This is a fully-patched Win 8 system. I didn't load Java, is that required? Also, IE10 appears to have no compatibility mode so I can't enable that.

Classic interface works (as bad as always).
Oh, the Classic interface has a problem on Win 8 Pro 64-bit, IE10. I was typing a message and found that the Enter key did not work. I had to type a full email in one paragraph. Shift-Enter also did not work. I'm guessing that the developers have not spent much time using Windows 8 yet.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 08:35 PM   #82
jtirila

Expand a conversation shortcut only works partially

Background: when viewing a conversation, if there are just a few messages with some of them collapsed, but with their titles visible, the shortcut "e" expands all the messages. This is good.

Problem: However, if there are enough messages (don't know how many you need) for the conversation to be condensed even more with the text "Show N more messages" visible, the shortcut "e" makes the conversation panel go blank.

I would think going blank is definitely a bug. Has this been reported? (Yeah, I did browse and search the forum, but I may still have missed it. If there is a list of all the shortcuts somewhere, I definitely did miss that.)

I think the shortcut should expand all the messages even in this more condensed case, or alternatively take me to the view with message titles visible to that a double "e" would do it all the way. Kind of like "expand" - "expand more".

Also, is there a shortcut for collapsing? I guess this would not really be that important, just nice-to-have.
jtirila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2012, 10:34 AM   #83
marianh

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtirila View Post
Background: when viewing a conversation, if there are just a few messages with some of them collapsed, but with their titles visible, the shortcut "e" expands all the messages. This is good.

Problem: However, if there are enough messages (don't know how many you need) for the conversation to be condensed even more with the text "Show N more messages" visible, the shortcut "e" makes the conversation panel go blank.

I would think going blank is definitely a bug. Has this been reported? (Yeah, I did browse and search the forum, but I may still have missed it. If there is a list of all the shortcuts somewhere, I definitely did miss that.)

I think the shortcut should expand all the messages even in this more condensed case, or alternatively take me to the view with message titles visible to that a double "e" would do it all the way. Kind of like "expand" - "expand more".

Also, is there a shortcut for collapsing? I guess this would not really be that important, just nice-to-have.
Thanks for that, no it hasn't been reported yet, but I have done so internally now.
marianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2012, 02:13 PM   #84
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtirila View Post
Fixed on beta.fastmail.fm -- will be rolled out everywhere later this week. It behaves in the second way you describe (first press expands to show each message collapsed, second press expands all of those fully).

Cheers,

Neil.
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2012, 11:27 PM   #85
thymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj View Post
Fixed on beta.fastmail.fm -- will be rolled out everywhere later this week.

Cheers,

Neil.
Is this the official way changes are rolled out?

I'm only asking because of the experience of the last few weeks wrt beta becoming modern.

Surely someone has realized that publishing changes as part of version control is a good thing?
thymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2012, 11:52 PM   #86
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymara View Post
ISurely someone has realized that publishing changes as part of version control is a good thing?
Ah, but if the third decimal place increments every few days you know there is a problem with the product.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2012, 03:56 AM   #87
thymara

Given that we are back in beta, classic and modern mode, I'll admit to being shocked that beta still exists and is publicly available, I have to wonder how many people will actually try the ongoing beta.

It seems that before beta became modern there must not have been many users since the list of issues was unbelievable. From the forums most of the business community prefers classic to modern. Since beta looks like modern will there be any business users adventuresome enough to help debug the beta?

Without soliciting for volunteers I'm guessing the list of participants will be pretty small.
Old 21 Nov 2012, 04:04 AM   #88
labarum
Essential Contributor

Yes, I have been wondering how many folk tried the pre-Halloween Beta. I looked at it twice for less that five minutes total in the whole time it was up.

I returned to old classic and carried on - till that horrible surprise morning.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2012, 04:10 AM   #89
aynrandgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymara View Post
From the forums most of the business community prefers classic to modern.
I think modern is a better UI per se, but the functionality it no longer exposes is a problem.
aynrandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2012, 06:36 AM   #90
thymara

@aynrandgirl in my spare time I'm re-reading Atlas Shrugged and an starting to wonder if / when the brains behind Fastmail will / have discovered John Galt