EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 Mar 2016, 06:38 AM   #1
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

Can't save my sieve rules

I just tried to go in an modify my sieve rules in the newly changed settings interface.

I make the change, and click Save, and the button flashes to "Saving..." or something, and then back to "Save" again. IOW, looks like it worked. But rather than be returned outside the rules editing screen, it leaves me there.

I try clicking Cancel to get out. OK, but my change was not saved. So I change it again, click Save, then click another menu item. I get a warning dialog to the effect of "if you leave this page, your changes will be lost."

So..... how do I edit sieve rules? I'm using Firefox ESR 38.6.1 on Linux, if it matters.

Edit: my first thought when this didn't work was that I was logging in with my Yubikey rather than master password. So I tried with a master password login, and same result.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Mar 2016, 06:51 AM   #2
NumberSix

Quote:
The sieve editing screen prevents you from changing the automatically generated script based on your rules and settings, but leaves you with editable blocks that you may insert your script elements at the right place within the script.
Hmmm.... just found this in the help pages. I'm guessing this is the key to my problem, but now starting to investigate more. Maybe I could have done this before posting for help Can't see why sieve code that I wrote by HAND before is now uneditable, but whatever.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 07:33 AM   #3
neilj

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
Hmmm.... just found this in the help pages. I'm guessing this is the key to my problem, but now starting to investigate more. Maybe I could have done this before posting for help Can't see why sieve code that I wrote by HAND before is now uneditable, but whatever.
That's referring to the machine generated bits of sieve code, which you can't edit. Not relevant to sieve code you write. You will stay on the edit sieve screen after clicking save if the sieve you wrote isn't valid; an error message at the top should tell you what the problem is. If that's not what you're seeing, file a support ticket.
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2016, 07:44 AM   #4
NumberSix

Thanks Neil... I didn't notice that there was an error message at the top, because the Save button did not scroll me up there to see it - it leaves me at the same place where I'm editing, so there's just the impression that nothing happened. Also the background of the error box is blue, which blends in with the general interface theme. Would be better to change it to a color which will catch the eye and suggest "error"

Here's my error message:
Quote:
Unable to parse script: script errors:

line 61: syntax error, unexpected REQUIRE

59: ## Date: 09/23/15
60: ##
> 61: require ["envelope", "fileinto", "reject","vacation","regex","relational","imapflags","comparator-i;ascii-numeric"];
62:
63: if header :contains ["To", "Cc", "X-Delivered-to", "X-Resolved-to", "X-Apparently-To", "Delivered-To", "Received", "Return-Path", "Reply-to"]
But this code always worked before (and seems to be working in actuality as we speak). Why does it no longer parse?
Old 20 Mar 2016, 07:51 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Remove the require statement. There can be only one such statement, and it is automatically created for you.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2016, 12:31 PM   #6
NumberSix

That seems to have done the trick, Bill, thanks.