EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Nov 2015, 08:39 AM   #1
bbrener
Essential Contributor

Help Wanted with CalDav and CardDav

I understand the euphoria around CalDav and CardDav fro syncing mobile devices. I have received the latest newsletter.
However for me they are of no value. I know Outlook does not support these standards and that is the issue. My main calendar and contacts are held in Outlook. I need to be able to sync these across Outlook on my desktop AND my mobile devices in both directions and therein lies the issue.
Importing Outlook contacts into Fastmail via csv is a crapshoot. The fields don't line up and don't transfer well and it takes a lot of manual repair and has to be done often to be in sync.
What I need is a solution to that problem. Anybody have any ideas?
I also would like someone to explain to me what the benefit of having a Fastmail calendar syncing with an IOS calendar. Why not use only the IOS calendar? The IOS calendar syncs with "Alarmed" and SIRI for example.
Many thanks
Brian
bbrener is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Nov 2015, 09:18 AM   #2
pjroutledge

Memotoo

For syncing across different protocols, try Memotoo.com - I'm using it and it's very reliable once set up correctly.

Can't comment re the relative benefits of using Fastmail vs apple's calendar. Although I do sync my Fastmail calendar and my phone's calendar (not an iPhone) the value is fairly minimal.

Fastmail's calendar is better than any I've tried though, especially in terms of recurring events and timezones.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2015, 10:29 PM   #3
bbrener
Essential Contributor

I will check it out. Thank you. I use a program called Calendar Sync Pro for calendar syncing. It does Outlook to Google Calendar and Google Calendar sync to Iphone. Hokey, but it works both ways.
Outlook contact import to Fastmail is also an adventure. Things have to be manually repaired, and incremental changes never work right. since Outlook is the preeminent contact manager it would be nice if they concentrated on it.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 10:30 PM   #4
bbrener
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroutledge View Post
For syncing across different protocols, try Memotoo.com - I'm using it and it's very reliable once set up correctly.
I can't find that it says that it goes both ways. Contact changes on the Iphone must update in Outlook.
Old 25 Nov 2015, 02:40 AM   #5
pjroutledge

I don't use an iPhone, but most of Memotoo's syncs work both ways by default.

I can't see anything that says it won't work both ways on the iPhone. Apparently you would use CardDAV, and there are some alternatives.

Outlook uses Exchange Activesync which works both ways. Again, there are some alternatives.

I suggest that you try it, if you haven't already. if there is a particular sync or direction that doesn't work, try the Memotoo forums for guidance/suggestions.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2015, 04:15 AM   #6
bbrener
Essential Contributor

Thank you. I will give it a try.