EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 19 Dec 2016, 09:48 PM   #1
menumaster

it really can't be this hard, can it?

Hi Everyone,

Over the past few days I've been driven mad by what I assumed would be such a simple task for a moderately intelligent man....hoping someone out there can come to my aid before I lose any more sleep over this....

Here's what I want to achieve:
I own a personal domain that's hosted by 1and1.com. For years I've had an exchange account with apps4rent.com that takes that domain (through mx records I think) and allows both myself and my wife to send emails, have contacts and joint calendar..pretty basic... until one day my wife complains that people are often confused as they never know who's sending out emails. So, all I want to do is keep everything as is but add another email address to the same domain i.e. andrew@xxx.com and sarah@xxx.com. I want to still be able to use a joint inbox (as most of the emails are from family etc which we both want) and joint contacts/calendar.
This needs to work across an iMac, iPads and iPhones, no pcs.

Here's what I've tried to date:
I got pretty close with gmail-I reset the mx records on 1and1.com back to default, opened two basic mailboxes (sarah@xxx.com and andrew@xxx.com) set up forwards on both to a new gmail account. Allowed gmail to create two aliases and all seemed good. The mac worked a treat, on the iPhone's this also worked too after working out how to set them up to use aliases . The only problem was that by doing this, the iPhone's (or maybe it's gmail?) would only download a maximum of 150 messages in each folder which doesn't work for us.

I then contacted apps4rent.com to see if they could figure out a solution. They said it was easy (ha!), and would do this via setting up andrew@...com as a delegate of Sarah@...com. Hmm, this apparently is an elegant solution, but only if you're running exchange on a pc. They couldn't get it to work on a mac and didn't even try on the iphones/ipads. They've now suggested buying a second exchange account and setting a rule that automatically forwards every email to each other's accounts on arrival, they haven't explained how we can share contacts/calendars yet. To me this is all getting rather expensive for a little personal set up.

Whilst on the phone to apps4rent customer support I googled around and found office365 and their option1 service which gives you, what seems to be, an exchange-like system for $4 per mailbox....before going down that hole I'm wondering (or hoping!) that someone here can suggest an easier solution....oh, I did also look at using the proprietary mac mail but it doesn't appear possible to use aliases fully (receiving and sending as if from my personal domain).

Yeesh, please help, thanks!
menumaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Dec 2016, 06:05 PM   #2
menumaster

Wink Well, apparently it can be....

Assuming that after over 60 views of my message and not one reply no one has a better idea of how to do this simply. I've signed up for two office 365,accounts, made one redirect to the other and I'm sorted. I'm sure there's a simpler and cheaper way to achieve what I was after but life's too short...
menumaster is offline   Reply With Quote