EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Sep 2020, 12:52 PM   #16
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I stated "a few years ago" because I haven't needed to use the restore feature recently, and it might have been updated in several steps which I didn't notice. All I know is how it worked the last time I needed to use it (which was before the first of this year) and today (when I tested it).

My post should have stated that I was only describing the Restore feature in the menu. I agree with you that staff can probably do much more, but it might take quite a bit of effort. I am interested in what you learn.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2020, 06:42 AM   #17
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Exclamation

Updates:
3. Looks like this is the end of it. Reply:

Quote:
Thank you for your patience!

I've heard back from developers, and am happy to share
their findings with you.

To your issue of not having all autosaved drafts
restored, please note that we now only restore discarded
drafts; we don't restore multiple versions of the same
draft.

We restore the largest (by file size) of the last 5
revisions of the draft, so they think if you encounter
this cut/paste bug you could discard the draft and then
restore it and it will most likely restore the right
one. (I'll try this and report back....tried. )

They also advised me to relay to you that we will not be
able to perform a custom restore here.

Again, we appreciate your patience as we worked to get
some answers for you.

Cheers,

H
-elvey

Re. this part:

Quote:
... discard the draft and then
restore it and it will most likely restore the right
one.
Tried this. Doesn't work. I just discarded the draft, waited a minute and restarted and the UI inexplicably reports:

Quote:
What do you want to restore?

x Discarded drafts

Deleted in the last [1 week]

Confirming we will…

* Restore all drafts discarded in the last 1 week.
Nothing found to restore
This is nonsensical. I just discarded the draft, and it was from this week.

Oh well.

Last edited by elvey : 2 Sep 2020 at 06:52 AM.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2020, 07:04 AM   #18
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Actually, more concerning issues! H wrote:

Quote:
When the restoration is completed, you should get an
email about it. Please make sure you go through the
email carefully as it involves instructions to help you
copy the restored content and also mentions about the
automatic deletion of the restored folders.
I received no such emails* this week!

(Although the UI would never show it could attempt to restore what I wanted, I DO have (and uploaded to support) a timestamped screen shot proving I did kick off a broader restore (hoping it would restore more than it indicated it would) - "Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 11.17.33 PM FM FAILING.png"! But again, no email about it received.)

Oh, and if I try a maximal restore now, I get

Quote:
Confirming we will…

* Restore all drafts discarded in the last 1 week.
Nothing found to restore
* Restore all mail permanently deleted in the last 1 week.
Nothing found to restore
*I DO have OLD such emails, e.g.:

Quote:
Reply-To:support@fastmail
To: x <x@fastmail>
Subject:Backup Restore for x@fastmail completed
Date:Saturday, May 09, 2020 8:50 PM
That's the date I started this thread.

Last edited by elvey : 2 Sep 2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 4 Sep 2020, 09:39 AM   #19
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

No news.

Anyone else get an email after doing a restore with the new UI? Please share.

(Last day; tomorrow it'll be a week since the data loss.)

Last edited by elvey : 4 Sep 2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 4 Sep 2020, 12:07 PM   #20
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The old system sent you an email after the messages were restored to the temporary folder tree which was automatically created.

The current system doesn't do that. You do not get any emails telling you the operation completed. Here is how it works - I just tested this in my account:
  • I deleted a draft. You must explicitly do this by selecting the draft message and choosing the Discard Draft button.
  • Go to Settings>Restore and select Discarded drafts.
  • I then chose Deleted in the last 1 hour. You are then shown how many drafts will be restored.
  • Select Do It. You are shown a confirmation.
  • Look at the bottom of the folder tree for the Restored messages saved search. That will search for the search string keyword:$restored.
  • The results of the most recent restore operation (only) are shown. The messages are restored to the folder they were in when they were discarded.
Bill
Old 8 Sep 2020, 10:12 AM   #21
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Another data point for you:
  • A few minutes ago I was moving around the Fastmail user interface using Firefox on a PC, and a draft I was working on (reply to a message) seemed to disappear!
  • The draft was not in the Drafts folder, was not sent, was not in Trash, and was not tagged on the original message I was replying to. It was not found when I tried to use Restore. I couldn't find it anywhere!
  • Looking at Help, I realized that Undo might work. See:
  • CTL+Z undo immediately restored the missing draft! I'm not sure where it was hiding, but it came back and I was able to complete and send my reply.
Bill
Old 9 Sep 2020, 05:08 AM   #22
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
  • A few minutes ago I was moving around the Fastmail user interface using Firefox on a PC, and a draft I was working on (reply to a message) seemed to disappear!
  • The draft was not in the Drafts folder, was not sent, was not in Trash, and was not tagged on the original message I was replying to. It was not found when I tried to use Restore. I couldn't find it anywhere!
  • CTL+Z undo immediately restored the missing draft! I'm not sure where it was hiding, but it came back and I was able to complete and send my reply.
Bill
It's great that Undo worked, but deeply disturbing that the draft vanished in the first place. Have you asked FM how that could happen?

Do you think that the draft hadn't yet been auto-saved, but for some reason you clicked on a link in the drafting window, when you were "moving around the Fastmail interface"? Normally in that sort of situation wouldn't one expect the website to warn that you risked imminent loss of the data on that page? Surely they should intercept that?

Last edited by JeremyNicoll : 9 Sep 2020 at 05:15 AM.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2020, 01:00 AM   #23
BillDavidson98

Quote:
Bill
Yeah that helped me!
BillDavidson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2020, 07:34 AM   #24
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Angry Even More Data Loss!

NO action so far at all addresses the MAJOR INCORRECT documentation problems I have been highlighting and asking about!
... but I appreciate the personal response, Bill. (Frustration, pointed questions, etc. not directed at you for responding & helping!)

Quote:
The old system sent you an email after the messages were restored to the temporary folder tree which was automatically created.

The current [<cough> -elvey] system doesn't do that. You do not get any emails telling you the operation completed. Here is how it works [<cough> -elvey] - I just tested this in my account:
  • I deleted a draft. You must explicitly do this by selecting the draft message and choosing the Discard Draft button.
Interesting - so a draft discarded by trashing it (and emptying the trash) doesn't cut it! (Unconfirmed.) I see.
Quote:
  • Go to Settings>Restore and select Discarded drafts.
  • I then chose Deleted in the last 1 hour. You are then shown how many drafts will be restored.
  • Select Do It. You are shown a confirmation.
  • Look at the bottom of the folder tree for the Restored messages saved search. That will search for the search string keyword:$restored.
This could sure be better documented. For me, this search (direct link: fastmail.com/mail/search: keyword:$restored in:* ) finds 0 messages. Even though I have provided support screen shots proving the system attempted to restore some messages it had indicated it would be able to restore.
That indicates ANOTHER bug. [Monday Update: I did a test deletion and restore and the search above found the just-restored messages (only), not 0 messages, so sometimes it works. Also, if I go back to settings, the Restore screen is displayed; it has green check-marks and shows Done, but also "1 message will be restored." The "will" confuses the user. Another bug!] Man, this is a CLUSTER bomb of a changeset!
And it's a totally STILL NOT announced changeset AFAIK.
Quote:
  • The results of the most recent restore operation (only) are shown. The messages are restored to the folder they were in when they were discarded.
Bill
So the keyword is removed at some point? When, Why? Totally NOT documented!?!?

And good questions, JeremyNicoll!

As I said above, Bill,

Quote:
(FYI: Repeated undo's haven't worked to get the content back.).
That was by shaking to undo. I will surely end up trying Ctrl-Z next time I get bitten by this clipboard bug. I wonder if its a bug in Neil / Fastmail's Squire or https://github.com/fastmail/overture/. (https://github.com/neilj/Squire)

Last edited by elvey : 15 Sep 2020 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Add LIST BBcode to fix formatting caused by broken-up list.