EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 20 May 2019, 06:26 PM   #1
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Question Smartermail content filtering

Anyone know how to filter the word ‘sex’ but not ‘essex’ using Smartermails content filtering please?
Thanks in advance
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 May 2019, 03:57 PM   #2
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyne View Post
Anyone know how to filter the word ‘sex’ but not ‘essex’ using Smartermails content filtering please?
I don't know anything about Smartermails' filter capabilities and a quick google for info didn't show me any examples, but in general there's three ways to tackle something like this.

Assuming that their filters can be defined in a particular order and that the first matching one takes effect, you can explicitly look for "Subject contains 'essex'" etc and if mails like that are found, ignore them (so they end up in eg an Inbox by default) or explicitly send them to your Inbox.

Then after that filter, define one to look for "Subject contains 'sex'" ... which will deal with the sexy mails.

Or, you can look just for eg "(sex" or " sex" or "'sex" etc.

Or you can look for "Subject contains 'sex' and does not contain 'essex'", if the systems allows more than one condition is a filter definition. Your system might be versatile enough to allow "contains 'sex' and does not contain any of "essex","sussex",...,"middlesex".
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 04:50 PM   #3
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Thanks for your reply Jeremy. I’ve been trying a few options and something similar to your last suggestion seems like it should work. I’m not a big fan of Smartemail but needs must.
Appreciate your help.
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote