EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Feb 2002, 01:26 PM   #31
erimess

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkD

I'm getting to that stage already! I really like the web interface, and am using less and less of Outlook. I do have broadband access to the net at home and work though, so I guess that helps.

Mark
I wasn't finding what I wanted in a web interface and thought for sure I was going to have to learn an email client. (Not OE!!) I'd even downloaded Eudora and started learning it. But it looks like this is giving me most of what I want. I'm finding I'm already recommending it to people and I haven't even used it "for real" yet. (Just sending myself mail back and forth so far. :-))
erimess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2002, 01:28 PM   #32
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by erimess
But if it's already designed this way I suppose it's too late.
Nothing is actually written yet. All that exists is this HTML mockup created by a generous user and contributed to by many on this forum.

If you've got improvements, add them to your own mockup and display it to see what people think. If you don't have a site to pop it, send it to us to host (although there's plenty of free hosts you should be able to use...)
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2002, 07:45 AM   #33
drkotsius

this has been an unusually buzy thread and my guess is that
an earlier posting has gone unnoticed . Here it is again:

another suggestion jeremy if i may. i prefer not to reply to
incoming messages immediately, but instead enter the email
address from the address book so that it is always kept up
to date. this means, however, that i have to click on compose
and then click on the address book button again. an option
to send the user str8 to the address book when clicking on
compose would be greatly appreciated!

drkotsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2002, 08:19 AM   #34
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

I did miss it, yes.

A future version will have a superscripted [+] next to every email address wherever it appears. This will allow one-click access for adding to the address book.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 01:12 PM   #35
drkotsius

thanx, but... third time lucky:

what i actually meant was that it would be nice to have the
option of going str8 to the address book when clicking on
'Compose' (i.e. when writing a new email from scratch), so that
recipients can be selected before engaging in creative fervour.

drkotsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2002, 01:40 PM   #36
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

3rd time successful! I understand now. That's not a request we've heard before. We'll keep it in mind. When we get on to the interface enhancement project you might want to nag us at the time.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 01:22 PM   #37
Charlene

... My request is to be able to purchase more 'Personalities', something along the lines of being able to purchase more space. (one time fee)

Thankyou, Charlene
------------------
Charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2002, 05:41 AM   #38
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Given that the Web interface already warns of what appear to be attempts to "crack" one's account (n.b. that's "crack" not "hack" — hacker means programmer), another feature of the same kind which might be a good idea:

If one were to log into the Web interface, and there is already another session taking place, there could be a warning across the top of the page:  "N.B.  Somebody (presumably you) is already logged in to this mailbox using IMAP" (or "POP" as appropriate.)

Of course, it could be that the same user is logged in using both the Web interface and a mail-retrieval protocol (I've sometimes done this), but the warning could be useful, especially if the two logins are from different IP addresses!  (In such a case, the warning could include "Your IP address is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, theirs is yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy".)
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2002, 08:06 AM   #39
pobelly
Cornerstone of the Community

even just a log of unique IP addresses that have accessed your account by any means would be neat... it could save the last five or whatever...
pobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2002, 07:08 AM   #40
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
We currently log the IP address of all failed logins for the moment, though there's no way to access this information through the web interface yet.

Interesting idea, log IP address of all logins, keep info for the last week, and allow people to see it on a status screen... all for the security parnoid of course

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Mar 2002, 03:17 AM   #41
nic76
Essential Contributor

Lightbulb

makes me wonder who would want to read my mail...
nic76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Mar 2002, 06:50 AM   #42
pobelly
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by nic76
makes me wonder who would want to read my mail...
nah... the super-paranoid people who are afraid of people reading their mail would want it stored encrypted, etc... i don't really care about that - it's just nice to see what's been going on, that's all.
pobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2002, 06:26 AM   #43
erimess

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm

If one were to log into the Web interface, and there is already another session taking place, there could be a warning across the top of the page:  "N.B.  Somebody (presumably you) is already logged in to this mailbox using IMAP" (or "POP" as appropriate.)

As long as there's an option to ignore it. One day recently I wasn't able to get any new messages when I was logged on at work. I was sending stuff to a list group where everything comes back to me too. Stuff from way earlier that day wasn't even showing up. When I got home I realized I'd never actually logged out from when I'd been on earlier. I don't know if this caused the problem or not But after I logged off and logged in again "clean," all the messages suddenly showed up. Either the double-log-in caused the problem or it was just a very weird coincidence. Those messages usually come through immediately, as in they're already there as soon as I return to the message list.
Old 12 Mar 2002, 06:30 AM   #44
erimess

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
Nothing is actually written yet. All that exists is this HTML mockup created by a generous user and contributed to by many on this forum.

If you've got improvements, add them to your own mockup and display it to see what people think. If you don't have a site to pop it, send it to us to host (although there's plenty of free hosts you should be able to use...)
Write a mockup? Uh, huh, yeah sure. I wouldn't have the foggiest clue...

I went back and looked at the mockups again yesterday. If we can vote on one, I prefer the second of the two Inbox ones.