EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 11 Aug 2023, 12:01 AM   #1
RFK
Essential Contributor

Yahoo Mail critical issues

1. Yahoo started deactivate mailboxes without warnings. Multiple incidents are reported on https://www.reddit.com/r/yahoo/

2. Yahoo blocks logins with valid credentials and requires to access mobile phone or email that were added long time ago for password reminders. Yahoo "converted" this phone/email to de-facto 2FA methods without any warning/notification. If you do not have access to them, you are permanently locked from your account.

3. You cannot create application password anymore (bug that is not fixed for 9 months). As result of this, you cannot use Yahoo Mail with Outlooks and with some old email clients. For example, see https://www.reddit.com/r/yahoo/comme...gh_i_have_the/
I was asked to access this recovery email while trying to login, but, fortunately, I have access to it.

When I say Yahoo, it is applicable also to AOL: today @aol.com is just another domain of Yahoo.com (the same as myyahoo.com).
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Aug 2023, 02:26 AM   #2
dryoldlime

This makes one wonder if account holders with paid accounts can have useful or effective help to re-gain access to their accounts?
dryoldlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2023, 02:30 AM   #3
dryoldlime

The first article/hyperlink gives suggestion that the problem is affecting inactive accounts; so maybe a good reason to keep account active. (still reading...)

One participant made mention of Thunderbird (email client program). We should know for sure: Does use of an email client count as using the account to keep it active? If not, then one must sign-in through web browser and do things in the account to keep the account active.

Last edited by dryoldlime : 11 Aug 2023 at 02:35 AM. Reason: increased details of this message
Old 11 Aug 2023, 02:39 AM   #4
dryoldlime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFK View Post
1. Yahoo started deactivate mailboxes without warnings. Multiple incidents are reported on https://www.reddit.com/r/yahoo/

2. Yahoo blocks logins with valid credentials and requires to access mobile phone or email that were added long time ago for password reminders. Yahoo "converted" this phone/email to de-facto 2FA methods without any warning/notification. If you do not have access to them, you are permanently locked from your account.

3. You cannot create application password anymore (bug that is not fixed for 9 months). As result of this, you cannot use Yahoo Mail with Outlooks and with some old email clients. For example, see https://www.reddit.com/r/yahoo/comme...gh_i_have_the/
I was asked to access this recovery email while trying to login, but, fortunately, I have access to it.

When I say Yahoo, it is applicable also to AOL: today @aol.com is just another domain of Yahoo.com (the same as myyahoo.com).
There in the first article somebody describes a problem that some people may put them self into: Recovery address for one Yahoo account is another Yahoo account. One could imagine, that can make things tough. NOW I would say, one should make email accounts on multiple email service providers!
Old 11 Aug 2023, 05:35 PM   #5
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I have two Yahoo accounts (a .com and .com.ph). No issues, both use an application password for my mail client (Claws Mail). When I open the App on my cell phone or log in via the web I am sometimes asked to add a phone number or another email account. It always shows the last time the email was updated. I have yet to provide a phone number to Yahoo Mail.

Just logged in via the web, not asked, no issues. About an hour ago, I checked both accounts with my client, no issues. I check these two accounts at least daily.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2023, 05:49 PM   #6
chrisretusn

One logging out of my accounts I am getting:

Quote:
The page isn’t redirecting properly

An error occurred during a connection to sg.yahoo.com.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.
That is not the problem. There is a problem with sg.yahoo.com
Old 17 Aug 2023, 07:48 AM   #7
Bamb0
Master of the @

Hopefully they fix it s00n!!!!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2023, 11:51 PM   #8
George_B

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
There are some very aggressive Spam campaigns going on, lots of Yahoo accounts are compromised so I'm guessing they're tightening the security to try and stop the abuse
George_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2023, 05:02 PM   #9
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_B View Post
There are some very aggressive Spam campaigns going on, lots of Yahoo accounts are compromised so I'm guessing they're tightening the security to try and stop the abuse
That could be my issue with sg.yahoo.com on logging out. Those justme sites say it's up. Checked my IP it's listed on 5 DNSBL's.
Old 20 Aug 2023, 02:47 AM   #10
dryoldlime

@RFK said in part,
Quote:

RFK is offline Report Post
What I have found is this:
Generate a app password for Yahoo account does NOT work; reported as not available at this time.
Generate an app password for AOL account does work.

I tried adding an AOL account and a Yahoo account to portable Thunderbird very straightforwardly with no complications (and no need for any app password) just within the last couple of days.
Old 21 Sep 2023, 02:07 AM   #11
bermudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryoldlime View Post
@RFK said in part,

What I have found is this:
Generate a app password for Yahoo account does NOT work; reported as not available at this time.
Generate an app password for AOL account does work.

I tried adding an AOL account and a Yahoo account to portable Thunderbird very straightforwardly with no complications (and no need for any app password) just within the last couple of days.
I just created an app password for my yahoo account without any issues
bermudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2023, 08:45 AM   #12
chrisretusn

App password works for me as well this is on both a yahoo.com.ph and yahoo.com account. Could be because I already have one created. I can create another, tried it, works.
Old 24 Sep 2023, 04:26 AM   #13
Bamb0
Master of the @

I caint believe how hard it is to sign up for a new acct now! (I have tried a few times in the laast year or so)
Old 28 Sep 2023, 10:59 AM   #14
bermudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
I caint believe how hard it is to sign up for a new acct now! (I have tried a few times in the laast year or so)
Playing a little devil's advocate, they get a lot of people abusing the system and almost cero revenue. It's amazing they're still going as strong imho
bermudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2023, 07:00 PM   #15
Bamb0
Master of the @

Ya sadly your right!!!!!!!