EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 25 Apr 2006, 03:35 PM   #1
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Horde or Squirrelmail

For those of us using e-mail services like Tuffmail that have a choice of webmail interfaces, which one do you like best and why. I keep switching back and forth between Horde 4 and Squirrelmail.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Apr 2006, 05:36 PM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

It's Squirrelmail for me. Simple and fast. What do you need more for just e-mail?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2006, 05:47 PM   #3
jdtaylor
Master of the @

I personally like both, but Horde is preferable with html message composition and such like a standard when it's not in Squirrelmail as well as better use and such like, but the one small problem is the address book import function, as it never seems to work on the 2-3 Horde nstallations I've used in the past.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2006, 06:46 PM   #4
Cantello

I am mostly using SquirrelMail, as it is faster and easier to use. Horde has several disadvantages (sidebar not refreshing automatically, too much clutter on the screen) and feels slower. The address book is much better with Horde, though, Squirrelmail has two options with Tuffmail and neither is really easy to use and it's not that easy to import an address book.

I'd love to use Horde exclusively if the calendar and address book could be synchronised via SyncML (as it is implemented in the newer Horde versions).

edit: Speaking of address books, when using Horde's address book and clicking on 'all' (to show all entries), I still only get the ones from 'A'. Does this happen to you as well?

Last edited by Cantello : 25 Apr 2006 at 06:54 PM.
Cantello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2006, 09:06 PM   #5
theog
= Permanently banned =

My webhosting company has horde and SM installed... Right now I can only use SM since horde has some issues with IE7. Before that, I used SM most of the time anyway, so no big issue.

SM does seem to time-out faster than horde (when answering a reply, have to login again)... that might be a setting I need to adjust. I'm not concerned... I don't use those emails that much anyway. Most of the time I answer those on my desktop via imap.
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2006, 10:26 PM   #6
idealist
Essential Contributor

hey this is good. now I know some of these issues are not just me!

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtaylor
the one small problem is the address book import function, as it never seems to work on the 2-3 Horde nstallations I've used in the past.
Yes I was having issues with this too. I had to import using another program and export to finally get Horde to read my address book. Then again, my Squirrelmail import wasn't going perfectly either. I really wish that both of these email interfaces had a better address book feature.

For address books, I'd like something more like Outlook, where you can have your contacts, and then make mailing lists with those contacts. A plus would be if you only had to change addresses in one place and the mailing lists were updated also. Am I asking too much from a webmail addressbook? I don't think setting up a mailing list should be a big deal.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cantello
Speaking of address books, when using Horde's address book and clicking on 'all' (to show all entries), I still only get the ones from 'A'. Does this happen to you as well?
YES! It drives me crazy! I want to look at ALL contacts at a time, but it doesn't allow us.

I'm very comfortable with Squirrelmail but I tend to prefer the Horde IMP4 interface when reading webmail. It's prettier and I don't necessarily find it more cluttered, but I do find more options without having to go into menus in Squirrelmail. Graphically, it seems "neater" and more organized to me when I have a lot of mail and folders.
idealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2006, 11:16 PM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

I use SquirrelMail (when not using a client) althought I often think "Why am I looking at this ugly interface"

Compared to Fastmail's web interface, it leaves much to be desired.

Having said that - I mangage my mail just as fast with SquirrelMail as when I used to use Fastmail's web.

The tools and packaging of Tuffmail plus the looks of Fastmail what a powerful combination that would be
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2006, 11:57 PM   #8
idealist
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Speaking of address books, when using Horde's address book and clicking on 'all' (to show all entries), I still only get the ones from 'A'. Does this happen to you as well?
I emailed Tuffmail support about this bug and got a quick response from John Capo:

Quote:
That bug is difficult to fix. It was supposed to be fixed in the latest release that I am testing right now but its still there. Turba shows the A listing when there are more entries than the items per page setting. The pager works if you search but not for listing all contacts. A workaround is to set the items per page to 999 but that breaks the pager when searching or if you have more than 999 entries in your address book. Hope this helps.
idealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2006, 12:49 AM   #9
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I found that it's best to not switch back and forth from Squirrelmail to Horde because the address books and I believe the "out of office" auto replies are diffferent. It can get confusing with two separate installations.
I like the address book much better in Horde because it has fields for phone numbers and addresses. I like the vertical preview section in Squirrelmail (much like the really nice one in Outlook 2003) except it doesn't seem to format or accommodate the message as well.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2006, 11:05 AM   #10
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by David
I use SquirrelMail (when not using a client) althought I often think "Why am I looking at this ugly interface"...
You said it...though I've always thought for some reason that Horde is even uglier, aesthetically. A little off the topic, but I think with some more development RoundCube has the potential to blow both SM and Horde away.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2006, 11:26 AM   #11
David
Ultimate Contributor

Maybe we can persuade John C to take a look at this

http://nutsmail.com/
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2006, 11:41 AM   #12
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:

Wow...talk about an improvement Those are really nice, the way it should look, eh...
Old 26 Apr 2006, 04:05 PM   #13
Cantello

Quote:
The tools and packaging of Tuffmail plus the looks of Fastmail what a powerful combination that would be
Amen!

Quote:
Originally posted by rmns2bseen
You said it...though I've always thought for some reason that Horde is even uglier, aesthetically. A little off the topic, but I think with some more development RoundCube has the potential to blow both SM and Horde away.
In order to blow away both Imp & SM, Roundcube has to improve much in terms of flexibility and configurability. It is one of the nicer AJAX-powred webmail clients but still I'd prefer a traditional plain-HTML interface.

Quote:

I like this one better than the original SM but all the icons look too much like WInXP, which is not that a good idea in my opinion.

Last edited by Cantello : 26 Apr 2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 08:25 PM   #14
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:

In order to blow away both Imp & SM, Roundcube has to improve much in terms of flexibility and configurability. It is one of the nicer AJAX-powred webmail clients but still I'd prefer a traditional plain-HTML interface.
I'm convinced that that time is coming--in terms of RoundCube's development. I'd prefer the RoundCube interface over SM any day. It's just as responsive in its present state as SM (to me, anyway) and is infinitely easier on the eyes.
Old 26 Apr 2006, 09:51 PM   #15
Cantello

Quote:
Originally posted by rmns2bseen
I'm convinced that that time is coming--in terms of RoundCube's development. I'd prefer the RoundCube interface over SM any day. It's just as responsive in its present state as SM (to me, anyway) and is infinitely easier on the eyes.
It really is more pleasant to look at but lacks some things that make me go back to Squirrel: Double-clicking of messages to view them, inability to simply expand the headers, no way of importing an address book, no way of setting preferences per folder, or to set any preferences at all, no editable filters (okay, I can always use SIEVE via the manager), etc.

I'd love to use RoundCube and I understand that for its young age is a very impressive piece of software but it is still not suited (at least for me) for every-day use.

I just checked RC's forum, and a lot of features have been added since the version that is installed at Tuffmail was released. This equally applies to Horde (but not to SM, this is the newest version).