EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 2 Dec 2014, 02:10 AM   #1
mekitron

Question Lavabit

How do you compare LavaBit email service with Fastmail, Posteo, LuxSci or any other service?

LavaBit owner Ladar Levison strongly recommended against anyone trusting their private data to a company with physical ties to the United States. Fastmail servers are located in New York where LuxSci is a Canadian company. Posteo is living in Germany. Is Posteo a hope for secure and private email?
mekitron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Dec 2014, 02:18 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekitron View Post
How do you compare LavaBit email service with Fastmail, Posteo, LuxSci or any other service?
There is no email (or any other) service offered by Lavabit. The other providers you mention are still alive and kicking.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 03:01 AM   #3
scryptmail

Representative of:
Scryptmail.com
Quote:

LavaBit owner Ladar Levison strongly recommended against anyone trusting their private data to a company with physical ties to the United States. Fastmail servers are located in New York where LuxSci is a Canadian company. Posteo is living in Germany. Is Posteo a hope for secure and private email?
Do you believe, that organization spied on Merkel, won't be able to get data from german based company?
scryptmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 03:01 AM   #4
mekitron

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
There is no email (or any other) service offered by Lavabit. The other providers you mention are still alive and kicking.
Lavabit is down, I know.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 03:30 AM   #5
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:

ProtonMail is probably closest to the Lavabit philosophy and focus on security and privacy. Their servers are in Switzerland. Still in beta, they've generated a great deal of interest and $550,000 Indiegogo funding, the goal was $100,000. You can reserve a username at https://protonmail.ch/invite. It could be a month or two before the invite comes through. Accounts are free with 500MB space, they will have paid options.

https://protonmail.ch/pages/security-details

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProtonMail
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/protonmail

Last edited by pjwalsh : 2 Dec 2014 at 04:37 AM.
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 03:10 PM   #6
mekitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryptmail View Post
Do you believe, that organization spied on Merkel, won't be able to get data from german based company?
How a company fights for their cutomers is main objective.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 03:14 PM   #7
mekitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwalsh View Post
ProtonMail is probably closest to the Lavabit philosophy and focus on security and privacy.
seems considerable
Old 2 Dec 2014, 06:37 PM   #8
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
LuxSci is a Canadian company
LuxSci is based in Massachusetts, USA.

If you want to go offshore, Runbox (in Norway) is another decent option.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 07:13 PM   #9
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

There's also tutanota.de.

For some reason, I really don't find protonmail.ch's admins to be any good... They're taking forever to provide stuff that others provided way faster. Those others didn't have 550k usd to back them up!

I'm frankly dissapointed at the speed protonmail is working.

EDIT:

Apparently protonmail.ch is hiring!! Their new blog post states that.. Good on them!

Now if they only sent me the goddamn link to create an account!

Last edited by 17pm : 2 Dec 2014 at 07:19 PM.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 07:14 PM   #10
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijinbear View Post
If you want to go offshore, Runbox (in Norway) is another decent option.
Thanks to that post, the good folks in Norway suddenly realised they are offshore On an oil platform, probably
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 10:26 PM   #11
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Lavabit is down or, I am unsure if this is true but read on a different email related site, that they would probably not return.

I am unsure what to think of Protonmail.ch ; but I think taking a slow pace to develop quality is nothing bad. I haven't looked into them deep enough to form a good opinion, but to state they are slow in delivery doesn't mean anything bad necessarily. Lavabit at some point was a bit shaky in my opinion. If ProtonMail is taking time to develop their software and program, but then deliver a quality product, then that's a good thing I would say.

LuxSci is USA based. Maybe the OP confused with Hushmail, which is Canada-based. Also, if you want to go offshore (but without going as far as oil rinks ) and have a very solid provider, Safe-Mail.net is a good idea, I have been using them for 7 years now and never a problem. They are based outside US and EU, in Israel.

That said, personally I would not mind too much about using a US based servers as long as the provider is ethical when it comes to privacy. Remember, the moment you email from for example Switzerland/Canada/Norway to USA if your friends have Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail etc accounts, your email will only leave from a safe server but end up in an "unsafe" server. So to totally bypass the USA I would say, is very difficult. Unless your friends are very privacy-aware and decide to massively move their accounts away from US based providers.

PS: I realise that some would advise against it, but Russia is known for high quality products too. Not every Russian provider is reliable, but there are some mail providers who have an excellent reputation. Unless someone mistrusts Russia of course, given current events. Although so far there doesn't seem to be any actions against Russian based ESP's.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2014, 02:01 AM   #12
north

remember that lavabit did not pay back the prepaid money for accounts. so in my point of view lavabit is and was just a service to rip off money from users.
north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2014, 02:30 AM   #13
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
remember that lavabit did not pay back the prepaid money for accounts. so in my point of view lavabit is and was just a service to rip off money from users.
The TOS of most paid email services belie the notion that money will be returned, if a company has to be closed down; was Lavabit any different?

Lavabit also provided a free email service, to very many users. I do not consider them to be a rip off myself.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2014, 03:14 AM   #14
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

I agree with David. While there may be some who "feel ripped off" if they had paid in advance for Lavabit, I've seen no evidence of any kind whatsoever of any intentional action on Lavabit's part to rip anyone off.
Some things in life are unpredictable, and as such they can sometimes leave one "feeling ripped off", but a "feeling" doesn't necessarily equate to an intention.

(In fact, I had no fewer than three free accounts at Lavabit for several years, although fortunately I had been making only very minimal use of their service. I was nonetheless disappointed by what eventually happened to them, but of course I feel that I was anything but "ripped off" by their free service.)

Last edited by xmailer : 3 Dec 2014 at 03:19 AM.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2014, 04:23 AM   #15
scryptmail

Representative of:
Scryptmail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Lavabit is down or, I am unsure if this is true but read on a different email related site, that they would probably not return.

I am unsure what to think of Protonmail.ch ; but I think taking a slow pace to develop quality is nothing bad. I haven't looked into them deep enough to form a good opinion, but to state they are slow in delivery doesn't mean anything bad necessarily. Lavabit at some point was a bit shaky in my opinion. If ProtonMail is taking time to develop their software and program, but then deliver a quality product, then that's a good thing I would say.
Slow developing can also indicate wrong initial approach of encryption and protocol design. When protocol have no room for new features they trying to add, that essentially taking extra time and code to handle that.

Second of all they didn't not release the code, so anyone can review it and possibly point to any backdoors.
scryptmail is offline   Reply With Quote