EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 31 Aug 2018, 07:22 PM   #1
johnlawress
= Permanently banned =

fastmail and those nasty pif things

I'm one of those people who uses the group systems on the major networks to run and moderate a few groups of varying sizes.
My group mail is split unevenly between fm and a yahoo box...90% to fm, 10% to yahoo.
During the recent w32 sobig plagues, i received over 300 unsolicited 100kb virus pifs in the yahoo box in one week.
It kept me quite busy killing them(to stop my mailbox going into bounce status and de-activating my memberships)
In my fm mailbox in the same period , only one of the blighters got through.
I dread to think what would have happened to my bw allowance if nine times 300 times 100kb had landed there in a week. 270meg, if your math is slow.
Fortunately there seems to be an awareness of spamvirusing techniques at fastmail central, which kills the offending mails ( at router level maybe ?), leaving me free to deal with only the genuine stuff that floods in.
For that, i am eternally grateful.
The bounce button and all the other crafty little gizmos are the icing on the cake...and the speed is truly awesome, even on my crabby diallup connex. Almost fast enough to chat in realtime lol
I recommend it to everyone i meet who has a high volume of incoming mail, because it just makes communicating a whole lot easier when something works properly...all of the time.
Power grid collapses notwithstanding, of course

Best mailbox i've ever had, by a country mile
Thank you
johnlawress is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31 Aug 2018, 10:11 PM   #2
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Welcome to the EMD forums. What is a pif? I assume you mean GIF? Maybe PDF? Fastmails spam system works great, and after a decade or so of use, I rarely get a false positive, and especially a true positive.
See this page - Improving spam protection - https://www.fastmail.com/help/receiv...tml?u=3ec941a9

You realize that you posted this in the wrong forum though, right? The Runbox Forum is for issues pertaining to that email system.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2018, 10:47 PM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...&postcount=182
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2018, 10:58 PM   #4
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Damn, I hate when I fall into a spam trap.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2018, 01:01 AM   #5
ReuvenNY

Moderator's Comment

The original poster-spammer used an old trick to appear legit. Does not work here. He was banned. Thanks to all that reported him.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Bamb0
Master of the @

I dislike it when people copy other peoples threads as thier own!!

Good work Reuven
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote