EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 27 Jul 2005, 12:10 PM   #136
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

I'm sure someone mentioned this in an earlier post but I'm not going through 100 of them to find it.

I was watching the news earlier and "at the end of the day" was said four times in three minutes.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2006, 04:37 AM   #137
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I hate all the little shortcomings of Windows, such as the fact that palette-switching, which is easy in DOS, is just about impossible in Windows...

Another is that Windows shortcuts have to take absolute paths, not relative ones (e.g. not \myprog\myprog.exe; it has to be c:\myprog\myprog.exe); making them all-but-useless on portable drives, where the drive-letter may change from one machine to the next, so that a multiplicity of shortcuts (one for each drive letter) is needed.  (I got around this by writing a launcher program which first looks at its zeroth command-line parameter to find out which drive letter it's been launched from, then launches my other programs when requested by substituting this letter into the path.)

Then there's System Restore under Windows ME: What's the point of it, since it never works?

Another two gripes I have against ME specifically are that the new multi-format memory-card-to-USB adapter I bought yesterday has in effect a built-in 4-port USB hub, so shows up in Windows Explorer as four drives, not just one; and in ME (1) they're all shown simply as "Removable Drive" (really, I would never have guessed  ), even the empty ones, so I have to hunt around a bit to find out which is my new CF drive; and (2) they have to be "stopped" one-by-one, even though there's no point in "stopping" the empty slots.  (Fortunately, my local cybercafé runs XP, which shows the actual volume labels of the populated slots and allows the four-slot adapter to be stopped with just one click.)
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2006, 05:59 AM   #138
euroman

being stuck in a loo with waxed toilet paper
euroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2006, 12:41 AM   #139
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
Another is that Windows shortcuts have to take absolute paths, not relative ones (e.g. not \myprog\myprog.exe; it has to be c:\myprog\myprog.exe); making them all-but-useless on portable drives
I use this:-

http://www.pegtop.de/start/
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2006, 03:41 AM   #140
Daniel S

Or a batch file?

Code:
REM start myprog and don't wait for it
start \myprog\myprog.exe
:end
Old 31 Jan 2006, 09:18 PM   #141
drew
The "e" in e-mail

My pet hate?

That I always fail to get along with people even when I try at the top of my social skills and a genuin need and desire to get along.

Something within me are not up on par with the others. It has been like tht since me born. A difficult child the Nurses told me mother.

Like the software that we love to hate. Needing patches upon patches and still leaking like a bucket with a big hole in it.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2006, 06:26 AM   #142
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
I hate all the little shortcomings of Windows
Another one which has frequently tripped me up is the assumption, by Windows or by software running under it, that because there is no case-sensitivity under Windows, therefore the case of a filename will never matter under any circumstances; so the first letter of the filename, or the entire filename, is capitalised without asking my permission.  This has often caused problems when the file is to be part of my website, as web servers usually run under some flavour of Unix and case does matter; I try to make filenames all-lowercase for this reason, but have sometimes been tripped-up by Windows reckoning that it knows better than me.
Old 2 May 2006, 12:31 PM   #143
red cloud

i hate how people dont hate windows and i and most still dont know how to use linux,even though theres many versions of linux
red cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2006, 01:05 PM   #144
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

flip-flops (the shoes)
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2006, 11:50 AM   #145
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Being at the mercy of Big Oil, i.e. buying gasoline. I'm ready to train as a marathoner and friggin' run to and from work every day. Or maybe take up some serious cycling.
Old 5 May 2006, 12:23 PM   #146
David
Ultimate Contributor

Why not get a bike like mine:

Here:

It goes 20 MPH (when the wind is behind you) and gets 200 MPG

You can pedal if feeling energetic
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2006, 01:13 PM   #147
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by David
Why not get a bike like mine:

Here:

It goes 20 MPH (when the wind is behind you) and gets 200 MPG

You can pedal if feeling energetic
Sounds like a good idea, David I've been thinking about a scooter of some sort, and hey, 20 mph is about 10 times faster than I can run, anyway
Old 6 May 2006, 02:49 AM   #148
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by David
.. and gets 200 MPG
How many miles to the tire?
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2006, 03:39 AM   #149
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrabismus
How many miles to the tire?
I don't know Dr S

I put two new tires on it and have ridden it for about a year and a half since then (mostly on a daily basis) They look like they will go at least another two years. I average about 4 or 5 miles a day. The front tire has horizontal ribs as it is the drive tire (the motor sits on the front wheel)

Apparently if you use a regular tire it will wear out the small drive pinion.

Here is a site with more info about my particular model.

http://cyclo60.myouebe.net/4600/4600en.asp

I would really like to find an older one, from the nineteeen fourties or fifties.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2006, 09:29 PM   #150
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Speling errurs. I'm told that the POV-Ray team discontinued e-mail support because they kept being flamed for using spellings which are correct in Australian English...

I got this problem when watching Tron last night; whoever did the subtitles failed to realise that (even in British English) things which run on computers are programs — "programmes" run on TV sets.