EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 4 Apr 2007, 11:31 PM   #1
Shazzer
Essential Contributor

Palm's VersaMail won't let me send

I've scoured the the Fastmail.fm FAQ (as well as these forums) and can't find an answer to my problem. VersaMail will allow me to receive mail on my Palm, but it won't let me send. I've tried three dozen combinations of smtp servers (and proxies), ports, SSL options, etc., trying to get it to work...but I keep getting the following error message:

(550 5.1.1 <com>: Recipíent address rejected: User unknown at local recipient table)

Any idea what that means and/or how to fix it?

Last edited by Shazzer : 4 Apr 2007 at 11:45 PM.
Shazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Apr 2007, 11:45 PM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Have you tried to send messages to a few different email addresses? (at different locations)
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Shazzer
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Have you tried to send messages to a few different email addresses? (at different locations)
Yes I did, and the error message was the same everytime.

I did finally solve the problem and I'll go ahead and share it here in case anyone else runs into it in the future.

Evidently VersaMail (v. 2.7) did not like the fact that I had designated a commonly used fastmail alias as my e-mail address...which naturally does not match my fastmail username address. Since I've never had any trouble sending from this alias directly from my mobile phone, it never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to do the same thing from the Palm.

Once I switched the e-mail address to my actual fastmail username address, it worked just fine. The only drawback is that I don't generally use my actual fastmail username address to send and receive in order to protect my account from SPAM.

Now I'm wondering if upgrading my version of VersaMail...or going with another Palm e-mail app entirely...will solve the issue?
Shazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2007, 11:32 PM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzer View Post
Once I switched the e-mail address to my actual fastmail username address, it worked just fine. The only drawback is that I don't generally use my actual fastmail username address to send and receive in order to protect my account from SPAM.
If I were you I would contact Versa mail and complain. This is likely the only way to convince them that their policy is flawed.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2007, 11:48 PM   #5
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzer View Post
Strange. I filled in my actual fastmail username in the username field (via Account Setup). On the next page you'll find Email Address. There I've put my (fastmail) email alias. That works for me (Versamail v. 2.7.1).
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2007, 12:53 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow VersaMail v3.1B works fine

I think your old version of Versamail is the problem, Shazzer. I'm using Versamail v3.1B on my Treo 650, and I can set my email address to be anything. Of course, I must use my Fastmail true mail login address to validate the access. For details, see this post:
Treo VersaMail details

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote