EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Jan 2004, 04:35 AM   #1
cmelnick

Virus scanner bounces messages back -- ARGH

Hello,

I was using the recommended virus scanner on e-mails. However, since a lot of e-mails containing viruses are malicious and from spoofed e-mail addresses, FastMail bounces the message back to the sender (which is a fake address), then THEIR server bounces the message back to ME, telling me that the user cannot be found on that domain. Is there any way to configure the virus scanner to scan messages, but not send an e-mail to the sender?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
cmelnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Jan 2004, 05:54 AM   #2
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Our virus scanner does not inform the sender any more, AFAIK. Are you 100% sure it is a FastMail.FM notification that is bouncing around?
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2004, 09:33 AM   #3
kirvnet

My wife recieved a email containing the new "Bagle" virus last night on her Yahoo account and I got her to forward it to my Fastmail acct. Fastmail caught it and rejected it and never sent my wife a email about the rejection.
kirvnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2004, 09:31 AM   #4
calle

I have a similar problem: Can it be set so that the host simply silently drops virus messages, without rejecting them with a 550 error? This is causing problems with several mailing lists (some Yahoo groups as well).

Thanks
calle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2004, 10:20 AM   #5
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
The virus scanner does silently drop messages. It does NOT return a 5xx code.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2004, 05:43 PM   #6
calle

I didn't confirm it directly, but this is what the logs of Yahoo Groups claim:

Remote host said: 550 Error: Common virus payload files .pif and .scr blocked (eg.
W32/Sobig). To send this file, please zip it first

It appeared to me that this is what the fastmail.fm SMTP server is saying, since this log is for one of my fastmail addresses. I could be wrong, though - and Yahoo could be wrong too, wouldn't be the first time.

Can you shed some light on this maybe?
Old 28 Jan 2004, 01:36 AM   #7
mwild

That's not the scanner, it's a rule. See http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=15204.
mwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2004, 04:11 AM   #8
calle

Ah, I see. Thanks, that at least locates the problem. Though the question remains - can this be blocked silently?

Thanks
Calle
Old 28 Jan 2004, 04:14 AM   #9
mcowger
Cornerstone of the Community

Sure - just change the rule to discard instead of reject.
mcowger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2004, 04:25 AM   #10
calle

I hope I'm not overlooking something simple now... but where exactly do I set this rule? I looked at the Define Rules and Antivirus pages in the options, but I have no such option anywhere. Sure, I can make my own rules silent, but the executable-blocking rule isn't there. And reading the thread you mentioned it seems to me that this is a system-wide rule. Or am I getting this wrong?

Thanks
Calle
Old 28 Jan 2004, 06:06 AM   #11
mwild

You don't, it's a systemwide rule, not user-configurable. I guess we need another contribution from the FM guys here.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 07:06 AM   #12
jhs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by robmueller
The virus scanner does silently drop messages. It does NOT return a 5xx code.
Rob, are you saying that your server doesn't bounce messages with a 5xx code because of virueses? I think it does, I have got bounces with the following error:
Quote:
<username@fastmail.fm>: host smtp.us.messagingengine.com[66.111.4.4] said:
550 Error: Common virus payload files .pif and .scr blocked (eg.
W32/Sobig). To send this file, please zip it first
and
Quote:
<username@fastmail.fm>: host smtp.us.messagingengine.com[66.111.4.4] said:
550 Error: Possible Novarg virus blocked
--
Jan
jhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2004, 07:14 AM   #13
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

It's a delicate issue... FM's smtp reject rules naturally occur before the antivirus checking (thus preempting it). In most cases something should be caught by the antivirus (thus dropped silently) if there's no smtp rule. But the smtp rules do reduce the chances of something slipping past altogether, and reduce unnecessary load on the servers/pipeline I guess...
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2004, 01:30 PM   #14
bat

Bounces still happen

We have just rejected a message to you from {...} because it tested as positive to a virus
using Kaspersky Anti-virus (http://www.kaspersky.com).

If you do not wish to use anti-virus protection, log into
your account, click Preferences, and uncheck 'Virus Protection'.

The virus scanner output was:
----
>From {...}][Date Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:56:10 +0800]/message.zip/message.htm .scr Infected by virus: I-Worm.Novarg

I've been getting so many of these that I've made a filter rule in Mozilla Mail (which I now use because FastCheck has stopped working, but that's a whole 'nother thread), but I agree with the thread on Slashdot at the moment, that virus detectors shouldn't be spamming the "From" addresses. Is that what's happening, or is it something else?
bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2004, 06:31 PM   #15
mwild

Re: Bounces still happen

Quote:
Originally posted by bat
We have just rejected a message to you from {...} because it tested as positive to a virus
using Kaspersky Anti-virus (http://www.kaspersky.com).
etc ..
That's not a bounce, it's FM's AV notifying the intended recipient that a virus-positive message has been discarded.

There are 2 rather different cases here :

1. Message triggers SMTP block. SMTP session terminates with 5xx to sending server, possibly before the body is sent. Session information is discarded. RCPT address is NOT notified - indeed, depending on the block, FM may not even know what it is.

2. SMTP session terminated 2xx OK. Message then tests virus-positive. RCPT address is notified (as above), message is discarded by FM. Sender is NOT notified.

That said, I know it's a tricky call, but the volume of complaints seems to show that SMTP blocks are generating an unacceptably large number of false positives.

Last edited by mwild : 28 Jan 2004 at 06:36 PM.