EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > The Technical Zone...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Technical Zone... The Geeky forum... Use this forum to discuss technical aspects of email, from authentication protocols to encryption.

Old 25 Jan 2021, 07:56 PM   #1
WilliamH

Looking for a new emailing application.

We are currently using thunderbird to manage emails connected with the domain of our Link against rules - removed. We used it because it was easy to use accessible for everyone. It was working fine but recently it has been crashing, unable to send or receive emails making it difficult to use it. These issues has been effecting our work so that why we have decided to replace it for another one that can one as good as this one. So can anyone suggest another application I can use instead of thunderbird.

Last edited by JeffK : 25 Jan 2021 at 09:00 PM.
WilliamH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Jan 2021, 04:31 AM   #2
InquiringMind

If you have an IMAP account where the emails remain on the server, I would suggest to you that you should try to completely uninstall Thunderbird and then do a clean re-install of the program and setup the account again. If your problems started after an update, install the earlier version that worked okay. If the program has not been updated before the problems started, look for a later version. The check for updates does not always work correctly. You can also try a beta version.

I have tried a variety of email clients for IMAP over the years. Most recently I have used Thunderbird in various versions and Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016. Outlook excells at two things, sorting through thousands of emails to see which to save, and which to delete, and archiving emails. In all other regards, free Thunderbird is superior. Outlook is full of quirks that are never fixed and extremely frustrating. Of course if you buy it as part of MS Office Home and Business, you get all the other programs like Word, that justify, sort of, the price. But I would rather fight to try to get Thunderbird working than suggest purchasing Outlook.

Hope this is helpful.
InquiringMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2021, 07:54 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I agree that if you have been using Thunderbird and were happy with the features, it’s best to work on reinstalling it rather than moving to another email client. As noted, this assumes you are using IMAP access and leave important emails on the server. Depending on the email provider you use, webmail may be a better choice. For example, I greatly prefer using Fastmail webmail than using an email client.

Outlook is so different from Thunderbird that the learning curve would be difficult.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2021, 10:18 AM   #4
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamH View Post
So can anyone suggest another application I can use instead of thunderbird.
If reinstalling Thunderbird and getting it to work for you doesn't work out, may I suggest Interlink - https://binaryoutcast.com/projects/interlink/. This is the client I use when I'm not using the Fastmail web interface.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2021, 06:29 PM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I agree that if you have been using Thunderbird and were happy with the features, it’s best to work on reinstalling it rather than moving to another email client.
If you're on Windows, you could also install Thunderbird Portable from a local folder or external drive.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote