EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Mar 2011, 05:47 AM   #1
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Has something changed in the way styles are implemented?

Since Yesterday I get some colors thyat I didn't have before (seem to be original cololrs of the Concise stylesheet).

I use Concise with tweaks in custom-ui/css/tweaks.css and also custom-ui/css/main-style.css (also js tweaks but I don't think it's relevant). It seems thae main-style file has no effect. I thought it was the one that had most of the custom changes on the Concise stylesheet (I copied it from someone a long time ago. I don't remember the details anymore).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Mar 2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Sherry

I have 4 accounts that I use the Concise main-style.css with all my own colors for each account. Just checked them and they are all showing the original stylesheet of the new UI. I have Standard marked in Preferences so if you have Concise marked there then that may be what your seeing. Guess all the main-style.css files are not working now...

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2011, 04:51 AM   #3
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Does this issue still exist? Prod Rob. He's been working on re-jigging the way htdocs get installed.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2011, 04:59 AM   #4
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
Does this issue still exist?
For me it still exists. All my accounts are still showing the standard UI.

Sherry
Old 10 Mar 2011, 05:05 AM   #5
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Ok - thanks. Have pinged Rob.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 05:08 AM   #6
Sherry

While we're on the subject of StyleSheets and Rob is in the code is there any chance everyones Files Space can have the custom-ui and css/js folders made for them. It would sure cut down on the complications to get users to try the tweaks if all they had to do was make a file on their PC and upload it to the pre-made folders? I think it may also cut down the complaints on the new UI if we can get more users to use the tweaks files (with this little help from you guys ???)

Sherry
Old 10 Mar 2011, 05:26 AM   #7
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
I will add a couple of million unused nodes to our filestorage, of course...
Old 10 Mar 2011, 05:34 AM   #8
Sherry

Hmmm, guess I can take that as "of course I will do that" OR it's more of a "Ha Ha Ha" type thing.

(how bout just the Enhanced/Full users???)

Sherry
Old 10 Mar 2011, 05:46 AM   #9
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Yeah, that's a few less. No promises. I'd prefer a "I want custom styles" thing that auto-generates them and pre-fills with example files that do something really obvious to your screen, so you know what to look at.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 06:54 AM   #10
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
... I'd prefer a "I want custom styles" thing that auto-generates them and pre-fills with example files that do something really obvious to your screen, so you know what to look at.
The "Account Preferences" screen has a checkbox for "Custom Styles". When selected it can create the folders (and perhaps prefill them) if they are not already there. (and the names of the files in the explanation text can be made live links to the "file details" page where they can be edited online, though I think the name "file details" is a bit inappropriate for a page whose main use is for online editing of text files).

Just a thought: using tweaks.css means people need to go and find out the classes and elements used to identify parts of the interface (and then find out the syntax to make alterations). If peole could easily make a copy of their current stylesheet (or parts of it, such as just the colors file, or just the fonts) it would make it easier to use it a a starting point for customizing: you get a working file and you can see there all the elements that can be changed and don't have to go find out the syntax. Just change the collors or fonts or measurements or whatever.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 06:57 AM   #11
Sherry

That sounds fantastic Bron... We already have a Preference to check mark "Custom styles" so if the code did the rest when someone check marks that we'd be good to go.

Sherry

hadaso beat me to the preference part of it but, what the heck, he's so knowledgeable I like showing I thought of something like he did.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 07:06 AM   #12
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
hadaso beat me to the preference part of it but, what the heck, he's so knowledgeable I like showing I thought of something like he did.
You know much more than I do on FastMail, and you are certainly more experienced than I am with css tweaking of the interface.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 07:15 AM   #13
Sherry

I only learned the color part years ago with the old stylesheets out of desperation. I saw all those numbers starting with the # sign. I googled one of them and saw it was a color so I found a red color, put it in to see what changed, and continued from there. That's basically all I know of css files.

Sherry
Old 10 Mar 2011, 07:34 AM   #14
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
I use Concise with tweaks in custom-ui/css/tweaks.css and also custom-ui/css/main-style.css (also js tweaks but I don't think it's relevant). It seems thae main-style file has no effect. I thought it was the one that had most of the custom changes on the Concise stylesheet (I copied it from someone a long time ago. I don't remember the details anymore).
Yes, there was a change yesterday.

Basically we changed the styles so there's only a single stylesheet now main.css.

So you can only completely replace it, or add extras using tweaks.css now, you can't explicitly replace just main-style.css any more.

Sorry, just part of an overall optimisation process we went through.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2011, 08:21 AM   #15
Sherry

Oh my gosh!!! That leaves me with, at least 20, stylesheets that will no longer work.

Can you give a link to the mail.css file and tell us how to load it in? Also, how would we change the Concise stylesheet OR it can't be done anymore so someone would need to know a lot of css to change the complete layout? (OR could we copy our changed concise stylesheets into the main.css file and load that?)

Sherry