EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 7 Sep 2012, 07:58 PM   #1
JohnLena

Is volunteering abroad safe or not

Hi Friends

I want to know is volunteering abroad safe of not, because many organization offering volunteering abroad programs to volunteer abroad and help to poor communities and children.

Thanks.
JohnLena is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Sep 2012, 10:14 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLena View Post
I want to know is volunteering abroad safe of not,
The question is as specific as 'are holidays abroad safe or not?'
Where exactly is the "abroad" you're talking about?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2012, 12:15 AM   #3
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLena View Post
Hi Friends

I want to know is volunteering abroad safe of not, because many organization offering volunteering abroad programs to volunteer abroad and help to poor communities and children.

Thanks.
The abroad you live in now may not be safe for many.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2012, 09:03 AM   #4
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Obviously, it depends on the organization and the location.

If you're helping to re-build an earthquake-damaged school in Italy, then it would probably be safe. If you were providing emergency medical care in Syria, then not so much.
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Let me answer with just naming locations but abstaining from politics, assuming the person asking the question knows the background of the average country.

I have interviewed a guy who spent 3 years (!!) in North Korea (!!) as a volunteer worker, or aid worker (not sure if the program that sent him there was to be considered volunteer or not). To my surprise, he said he felt extremely safe and never had any problems. The aid workers lived in a compound with more comfort than the average local, the program even provided a doctor specifically for the foreign aid workers, and the workers had all kinds of privileges such as internet, something many locals don't know of its existance. He had freedom to discover the town on his own, and never felt unsafe. Quite an extroardinary answer given the reputation of the country. Of all the bad things you hear about in the news, he never experienced any serious one.

I also talked to someone who volunteered in an orphanage in India and considered it the most unique experience imaginable. Nothing but praise. No problems whatsoever. She was incredibly enthousiast about having had the privilege to experience it.

Another person I knew even set up her own school (with aid of local authorities etc) in Uganda and stayed there a few years. I lost touch with her but she had been there already several times and was always very happy to return to Africa. So probably no hassle neither.

Now the flip side of the coin: places like Somalia and Syria just to name two, are unsafe even if you never leave the bedsit flat you are assigned by the project. I think the question in this topic is too unspecific (most people will know more or less spontaneously which country is safe and which isn't) and if you make it more specific we risk to see the topic turn political, which is against the forum rules.

I think this question is better to be asked at for example Lonely Planet's forum.

Just this slight bit of warning.

Foreign aid programs are now sending a lot of people to places such as the Middle East (mainly medical staff and construction workers), Latin America, Africa (if you have a background in medicine, construction work or engineering your chances rise), ... and then we have the countless nations on earth (too many to even sum up) needing English teachers desperately.

Now here's the catch: every organisation differs. If your volunteering is done through the UN volunteering program, consider it likely to be safe. If it is through any other known program with a good reputation, likely to be safe too. Often the volunteers have an easier life than the people they're helping day to day.

But there are also some smaller organisations who are less organised or even just a trap. I have lived in Turkey and the demand for teachers of foreign languages was huge. Those who came with a TEFL or CELTA degree and went to a language school with a good reputation can be quite sure it will be safe and very well organised. Those schools who take anyone on board who speaks English decently without any teaching training, may however mess up with your work permit, salary, accomodation, ...

The key is to do proper research and go on board with a reliable organisation only.

Keep in mind too that volunteering isn't like a holiday. Of course you will experience another country, experience how people live from day to day, immerse in the culture, ... but it can be quite hard work too. So think twice and do proper research.

And even though it sounds like a given, avoid war zones. I know, those are the places where reconstruction and medical aid are badly needed but still, some places are a minefield and then the question about safety is quite obvious to answer.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Sep 2012, 08:39 PM   #6
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
Obviously, it depends on the organization and the location.

If you're helping to re-build an earthquake-damaged school in Italy, then it would probably be safe. If you were providing emergency medical care in Syria, then not so much.
Webebedarian makes very valid points, location is everything for this! We have had various groups of people (consisting of late teenagers, some medical personal, etc.) from our church go on trips overseas to countries to help with rebuilding schools, sometimes building houses, schools from the ground up, helping set up farming areas, and other helpful aid.

They do fund-raising themselves here in Canada from friends, relatives, fund-raising events from the community, and saving money themselves, in order to pay for their travelling expenses and physical needs they will have while there. They are there as volunteers to help those less fortunate then themselves, never for any monetary gain. Of the groups, or individuals I know of that have gone none have ever been injured, or died, etc. and sometimes they have gone into dangerous areas. Going in a group, reading the literature about the customs and regulations one must follow in that location is significant also.

One of my friend's daughter went to a European country (I don't want to break forum rules naming specific one) as a nanny and she was treated badly and had to escape secretly in the middle of the night... so dangerous is a relative thing. She went there through a reputable agency, but the couple that treated her badly had never had a nanny before, so the agency was not aware of any danger she could face.

One must always be cautious going away, whether it is on vacation, or even when you are travelling a few hours away from home. Not to be paranoid, but to be aware.

Susan
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2012, 03:07 AM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

The last sentence says it all: be aware but not paranoid. A walk in your own town late night can be more dangerous than staying in Iran for 3 years, as long as you run into the wrong person at the wrong time.

In general, if the volunteering is UN organised or through an organisation with good reputation, the volunteers are very well looked after. If it's a vague organisation with little reputation, then it's a big risk. That is generalising of course, as some of those tiny organisations still do good work. Still, I would trust more on the organisations with good reputation. The guy I mentioned who lived in North Korea 3 years worked with a very well established organisation so he could know more or less in advance the odds of problems were small, and indeed he was looked after very well.

There are always horror stories, the au pair in Saudi Arabia that was sentenced for an unprovable "murder" of a baby (it was unproven the baby did not die of natural causes) comes into mind, but then that is one unlucky person while thousands of expats work there each day without any hassle. Similarly, you may think a country like Spain or Portugal (random example) is safe due to its image abroad, but end up in problems because the organisation sending people is poorly organised.

I again would recommend the opening poster to do very good research on all organisations having vacant positions, on the countries those positions are in, and then ask on forums that cater travelling and expats. Nothing guarantees a safe journey, but proper research makes the odds for a unique experience grow.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 03:10 AM   #8
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

PS: judging a country by its image is not always the right thing to do, do proper research which means unbiased. Don't believe all cliches and propaganda out there but do proper research. Otherwise you may miss out on a unique adventure just because of believing false bad rumours about a country. I am quite sure a time spent in a very unspoilt and little known place such as Mongolia or Congo would make one see life in a different light alltogether. Are those countries dangerous or undeveloped? Yes according to some rumours, but the reality is to say the least more nuanced.

Proper research is the key.