EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 6 Oct 2017, 07:31 AM   #1
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Could a mistake lead to risk of an endless recursive forwarding loop?

If I have an email account set to forward to another one at a different provider, and then mistakenly set up the second account to forward to the first one (perhaps to an alias of that account), what would happen? Would there be an endless recursive loop of some kind, with forwards going back and forth like a candle between two mirrors? Would it just go on until one account or the other reached its storage limit? Or would there be some other negative consequence? I almost did this by mistake, and now I'm curious about what would have happened.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Oct 2017, 06:46 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Any half-decent mail server detects such a situation and disregards "repeated" copies. For example by checking whether a message with a given message id has already been received.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2017, 10:15 PM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Earlier, when we were using Novell Groupwise in our company, this occurred regularly.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote