EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Mar 2021, 09:47 PM   #1
digp
Master of the @

outlook flagging email from fm domain as spam

fyi and so are other providers eg googleĦ
digp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Mar 2021, 04:03 PM   #2
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

They have been doing that for a long time at least 18 months or more
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2021, 02:01 AM   #3
digp
Master of the @

Why don't fastmail do somthing about it?
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2021, 08:27 AM   #4
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Its really a M/s problem.

I found using anything from fastmail.com address works better then say a sent.com domain
Old 8 Mar 2021, 07:53 PM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

Outlook is notorious for dumping legitimate emails into spam from almost any source. At work, a significant number of our own internal emails from our own domain end up in junk no matter what we do. It is not consistent either. Some emails from one address end up in junk while others do not, even when the messages are nearly identical. We can mark them not junk, add them to address book, etc., and nothing works. Outlook's junk filter has a mind of its own.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2021, 02:26 AM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Note that if you have control at the receiving end, it is possible to disable outlook.com spam filters. Obviously, if you do so, you will need to figure out another way to scrub spam from your received mail (possibly using a tool on the client). A Google search will reveal some useful sources that discuss these issues.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2021, 07:58 AM   #7
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

The main problem its the receiving end which we have no control over.
Old 10 Mar 2021, 02:36 PM   #8
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Outlook is notorious for dumping legitimate emails into spam from almost any source. At work, a significant number of our own internal emails from our own domain end up in junk no matter what we do. It is not consistent either. Some emails from one address end up in junk while others do not, even when the messages are nearly identical. We can mark them not junk, add them to address book, etc., and nothing works. Outlook's junk filter has a mind of its own.
You must be unlucky, I have my own domains hosted in Microsoft E3 package and work mail is in E5 and it works quite well. On the admin level the only thing needed was to increase a bit the threshold when messages are treated as SPAM. Also for some messages being reported wrong, the functionality "Report to Microsoft" through plugin/button in Outlook did solve the problem. Have you tried it? It is not installed by default.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2021, 09:52 PM   #9
TenFour
Master of the @

Nope, doesn't matter what settings I use or whether or not I report back to Microsoft. Sometimes emails from certain senders go into junk, other times they do not. Appears to be no reason why one is junk and the other is not--same domain, same sender, very similar messages. Many of these are very routine messages we have been receiving for years. I have to check the Junk folder every day to make sure I am not missing something. One was there this morning from an Outlook.com address. Legitimate email in the Junk.
Old 29 Mar 2021, 09:29 PM   #10
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
I sent messages from several of my Fastmail domains, none of which were flagged as spam over at outlook.com.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2021, 10:32 AM   #11
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Digp, I don't have any such problem and just tested again to outlook.com and gmail.com addresses.
  • What was the actual From domain you were using? You said "fm", but that's not a full domain name, but a top-level domain. I just tested using "fastmail.fm" and the messages came through fine.
  • Were you sending through the Fastmail web interface or were you using an email client through some non-Fastmail SMTP server?
  • I would be surprised if messages from any Fastmail-owned domain were flagged as spam based on the domain name. That's in general a bad practice. It's much more likely that the recipient (or some other recipient at that email provider) has previously flagged messages from your specific email address (the full address, not the domain) as spam.
  • Why do you think this is happening to ALL messages from Fastmail-owned domains ending in ".fm"? I assume that's what you meant, although you might have meant all Fastmail-owned domains (at all top-level domains, such as .com and .cc).
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2021, 07:42 PM   #12
TenFour
Master of the @

I still argue that it is something random done by Outlook and you will never be able to figure it out--that has been my experience for at least the last decade. Every day we receive almost the same routine message sent by our website when people sign up for something. Most days most of them go into my Outlook Inbox, but many also end up in the Junk folder. The emails are almost identical, from our own domain, sent the exact same way, with the only difference some names and addresses. Has been this way for years.
Old 31 Mar 2021, 09:04 AM   #13
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

My problem was the receiver end a lot of our mail went into their junk mail folder. I use to have to phone and ask hey did you get my email.

Occasionally this still happens, its ok from a fastmail.com domain but not so good using sent.com. or sent.at

If the recipient has you in their address book that seems to fix most of the problems, but what is the point of phoning up and asking can you ad me to your address book, in some cases it was impossible to do that.

Also the domain name makes a difference terry goes into the junk mail a different name the mail arrives ok.
Old 31 Mar 2021, 09:30 AM   #14
TenFour
Master of the @

Today I received two reports from a certain Wordpress plugin we use. One report went into my Outlook.com Inbox and the other went into my Junk folder. Same exact sender. No rhyme or reason.
Old 31 Mar 2021, 04:48 PM   #15
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

At least its not a Fastmail problem....