EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Jul 2003, 08:55 AM   #1
tenekun

Mozilla mail problems

Well I just switched from the web interface to Mozilla Mail because of 1.4's integrated Bayesian spam filtering. Anyway, I am not sure if these problems existed before 1.4 or not, but they definately exist now...

First, I have a member account. The SMTP (insecure) seems to work fine. I can check the checkbox for "Use Secure Connection: Always" and it still sends OK (though I am not sure if it is actually sent using SSL because the port number field is blank). However, if I specify port 465 in the port number dialogue box, it refuses to send mail at all. I can telnet to mail.messagingengine.com port 465 alright, and I even tried the "smtps" proxy address. None of these work. I am using the correct server address and the correct format for my username.

The second problem I am experiencing is also during sending mail. I have selected "When sending messages, automatically: place a copy in: other: Sent Items on myaccount". However, upon sending a message, during the stage "Copying message to Sent Items folder" I receive the following error: "The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: Mailbox does not exist." The odd thing is I can access my mailbox fine when browsing my moil. I can even move messages to the sent items folder. Mind you the message is still sent correctly, but it is unable to place a copy in the sent items folder...

--Brandon Siegel
tenekun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Jul 2003, 09:23 AM   #2
mingus

Re: Mozilla mail problems

Quote:
Originally posted by tenekun

The second problem I am experiencing is also during sending mail. I have selected "When sending messages, automatically: place a copy in: other: Sent Items on myaccount". However, upon sending a message, during the stage "Copying message to Sent Items folder" I receive the following error: "The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: Mailbox does not exist." The odd thing is I can access my mailbox fine when browsing my moil. I can even move messages to the sent items folder. Mind you the message is still sent correctly, but it is unable to place a copy in the sent items folder...

--Brandon Siegel
Regarding this "mailbox does not exist" problem, i have posted twice already about this, the last time just a couple of days ago but noone has responded with any feedback

the same thing happens if you try to save a draft message to your Drafts folder....

the problem also exists with Mozilla Thunderbird......but only seems to occur when connecting to Fastmail and not other IMAP servers.....

CORRECTION !!
I solved the above problem by deleting my profile and recreating the profile within Mozilla....I am still having a problem when trying to save Drafts when OFFLINE though

Last edited by mingus : 11 Jul 2003 at 09:27 AM.
mingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2003, 01:47 PM   #3
herberg

The port 465 part of your question is mentioned in the README that came with Mozilla ...
Quote:
SMTP over SSL often doesn't work to port 465 (the standard secure SMTP port), or any port other than 25, due to a protocol (STARTTLS) handling problem. Workaround: Use port 25, and the connection should work and still be secure if you choose 'always' or 'if available'. Otherwise, Mozilla will hang
herberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2003, 03:11 PM   #4
tenekun

Quote:
Originally posted by herberg
The port 465 part of your question is mentioned in the README that came with Mozilla ...
Silly me - I never read the readmes, just the changelogs. Thanks a bunch on that. And I do believe that it is encrypting properly thru port 25 as I have captured a SMTP session with a packet capture util.

Quote:
Originally posted by mingus
I solved the above problem by deleting my profile and recreating the profile within Mozilla....I am still having a problem when trying to save Drafts when OFFLINE though
Did you have to recreate your entire mozilla profile, or just the Mail account? I'll search bugzilla...

--Brandon Siegel
Old 11 Jul 2003, 03:27 PM   #5
tenekun

Ah, been searching Bugzilla. Nothing on this bug at all, but I did find a different bug for Jeremy/rob to patch.

Mozilla has incorporated a workaround, but this bug still exists in the IMAP server itself. Even though the web interface has incorporated a workaround for this bug, the problem is only fixed after a SECOND trip to the "Folders" page. Thus it must have not been patched in the IMAP server:
Quote:
Here is what the rfc says about the RENAME command:
If the name has inferior hierarchical names, then the inferior hierarchical names MUST also be renamed. For example, a rename of "foo" to "zap" will rename "foo/bar" (assuming "/" is the hierarchy delimiter character) to "zap/bar".

Since Cyrus does not rename all subfolders, is this a Cyrus bug? It seems painful for all IMAP clients to rename all subfolders for a given renamed parent folder (when this can be done by the servers).
But again, nothing on this particular problem we both seem to be having.

--Abyz
Old 11 Jul 2003, 03:39 PM   #6
mingus

Quote:
Originally posted by tenekun
Silly me - I never read the readmes, just the changelogs. Thanks a bunch on that. And I do believe that it is encrypting properly thru port 25 as I have captured a SMTP session with a packet capture util.

Did you have to recreate your entire mozilla profile, or just the Mail account? I'll search bugzilla...

--Brandon Siegel
i tried just the mail account about a hundred times to no avail, finally removed the complete profile and then it worked ok.
mingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2003, 07:03 AM   #7
zunstone

Thumbs up I just found the problem:

actually in this Thread :
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...+not+AND+exist
Quote:
ddecoudras posted:

Hey guys, by trial and error I just discovered the problem ... and I can't believe it. It turns out that the Fastmail username namespace is case sensitive (and all along I was entring my username with mixed case).

Unbelievable! I had no clue that it was case sensitive. When I log into Fastmail via their Web site with the case in my username mixed (upper and lower), I *never* get a warning about this. With my previous Mail client (before testing with Mulberry), I also did not receive any warnings about case sensitivity.
I had the same error "mailbox not found" with the newest Thunderbird release.

AS THIS SEEMS TO BE A FAQ, it REALLY should be listed in the Fastmail-Faq at least for Mozilla/Mulberry.
BTW : I like to write a Thunderbird-Faq for Fastmail. Needed ?
zunstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2003, 01:14 PM   #8
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

About Thunderbird... any advantages it has over Mozilla Mail? I mean, is there a compelling reason to swich for someone who uses both the Mozilla browser and mail client? (It does entail giving up the convenience of having the applications in a suite)
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2003, 03:16 PM   #9
anj
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by FMRocks
(It does entail giving up the convenience of having the applications in a suite)
If this is a convenience, then maybe not in your eyes.... The mission of the Thunderbird developers is to take away the bloat in Mozilla mail client while improving the features, but so far they have not succeeded in the former. Personally, I wanted to like Thunderbird (still have not had time to give it a second chance) because I want to have my browser and mail client separate. I don't always want my mail links to open in Mozilla since I have configured my Mozilla preferences for a specific type of web-browsing. I also want to be able to set my image preferences different for browsing versus mail. There are a few small things like this that would be a priority when viewed strictly from the point of view of email, but not from the point of view of people mostly interested in developing the browser aspects.
anj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2003, 03:18 PM   #10
anj
Master of the @

Re: I just found the problem:

Quote:
Originally posted by zunstone
Perhaps you should PM or email Kurian. He has been doing the Fastmail IMAP FAQs recently.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 04:43 AM   #11
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Re: I just found the problem:

Quote:
Originally posted by zunstone
actually in this Thread :
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...+not+AND+exist

I had the same error "mailbox not found" with the newest Thunderbird release.

AS THIS SEEMS TO BE A FAQ, it REALLY should be listed in the Fastmail-Faq at least for Mozilla/Mulberry.

That the username should be in lower cases is specified in the docs; in the username section.

Quote:
Sure. Please send in your contribution to doc at fastmail dot fm

Kurian.
kurianja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2003, 07:02 AM   #12
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by anj
I also want to be able to set my image preferences different for browsing versus mail.
I have this today in 1.4: I block images in email, only.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2003, 05:30 AM   #13
anj
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by elvey
I have this today in 1.4: I block images in email, only.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 12:48 AM   #14
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Here's how: Go to the URL about:config

set mailnews.display.html_sanitizer.allowed_tags to something like what I use:
html head title body p br h1 h2 h3 h4 h5 h6 ul ol li(value,start,compact) dl dt dd blockquote(type,cite) pre noscript noframes strong em sub sup span(lang,title) acronym(title) abbr(title) del(title,cite,datetime) ins(title,cite,datetime) q(cite) a(href,name,title) img(alt,title,longdesc) base(href) area(alt) var samp dfn address kbd code cite s strike tt b i table(align) caption tr(align,valign) td(rowspan,colspan,align,valign) th(rowspan,colspan,align,valign)
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2003, 05:55 AM   #15
anj
Master of the @

Thanks Elvey, That was interesting to check out. I have never gone that far into customizing Mozilla. I think that will be helpful to other Mozilla users who want to disable images.

For myself, I want to use a client that I can also encourage other people (family, students) to use and be able to help them. So, for the time being I have decided to acquaint myself with easier to configure clients.

If it is possible to change this option in the onfig file then why haven't they built it into the UI config? Is that much more difficult to do? Seems like an important feature.

In general I do not like the way in Mozilla that they email settings and the broswer settings are intertwined in the UI. Now, I am more comfortable with it, but I once spent several days (intermittently) trying to figure out how to chnage my smtp password after changing it on Fastmail. In the end, it was simple -- it was in the same password manager that is used for website logins. Just didn't make sense to me that way.