EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 May 2012, 10:52 PM   #76
drew
The "e" in e-mail

My very or too naive thought about this
Quote:
A YouGov survey of 1,640 adults on 24th & 25th May revealed
that 35% trusted Facebook, 9% didn't know & a massive 56%
didn't trust Facebook.
Google came out even worse than FB

So if so few trust them then why should I trust them with my private
information. What if I treat them as this poll indicate.

They can not be trusted so I can "safely" give them false info?
I mean like for like? I would give true info to those I can trust.
And I would give fake id to those I can not trust?

How long would it take for them to find out? Would they sue me?
I guess they just delete the account so no big deal I only did join
to get a free email and I can join other free email later?

Maybe not ethically correct but it will show them that I and others
don't trust them at all. In the end they may change policy to earn
our trust? In an interview I barely remember CEO at FB admitted
that they had some 45 million faked accounts so tough job to delete all those?
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 10:56 PM   #77
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
I wouldn't get yourself too upset yet, nothing has even been announced.

If facebook cancels the service, I imagine they would be required to provide a refund.

My beef is letting Zuck anywhere near my data. He's admitted to hacking into other peoples accounts. In my opinion, he is in this for himself.

My advice? Cut your losses and protect your data.
Being a Pobox user I have a full backup of all my emails,
But I prefer using Fastmail as it has the best features.
Once it is sold to FB I'm out!!
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 11:27 PM   #78
mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSS View Post

We should not overlook Mark Zuckerberg's often reported comments on January 9, 2010 that the age of privacy is over.
Nothing new there:
“Privacy is dead, deal with it,” Sun MicroSystems CEO Scott McNealy, 2000
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 11:37 PM   #79
NJSS
Master of the @

odedp

I assume you are using POBox webmail?

How does it compare to FM please?

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 11:56 PM   #80
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
Being a Pobox user I have a full backup of all my emails,
But I prefer using Fastmail as it has the best features.
Once it is sold to FB I'm out!!
As a long time (past) Fastmail user (I was with the service almost from day one) I will be sure sorry if the service transfers to Facebook, which is what will happen if these 'rumours' are true, methinks. That said, the Fastmail service, started on the road to decline, at least a couple of years before that, when the old, old, new, Fastmail interface was first released, so, I left the service a couple of years before the 'Opera' acquisition.... apart from my 'free' Fastmail account (which I kept for testing, and a few important things) which is now cancelled, that is.

Having also been a past (satisfied) long term Pobox user (I was 7 years with them) I am also wondering if that company might also be up for grabs, one of these days.

Currently my Fastmail account is gone, as is my free Opera (beta) email account, and I am left using my web hosts email (with my own domain names) I am not complaining - though Squirrel Mail does suck, it is pretty solid.

But what of the future? any one of the new players (who we may turn to) may also be up for grabs... if they are at all successful - which we can only hope
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 11:59 PM   #81
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSS View Post
odedp

I assume you are using POBox webmail?

How does it compare to FM please?

NJSS
No, I tried mailstore when it was first introduced but it didn't meet my needs.
Wasn't even close to Fastmail.
Currently I have a basic account which forwards every incoming email to 3 different mail accounts.
As my native language is Hebrew (which is written rtl) I need an email account which handles this flawlessly.
Fastmail does!!
But regardless how much I hate to do it I'll leave Fastmail if/when FB takes over...
Anyway, I've contacted Pobox's support asking to try mailstore now. Maybe things have changed.

Best regards,

Oded.
Old 28 May 2012, 12:08 AM   #82
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
As a long time (past) Fastmail user (I was with the service almost from day one) I will be sure sorry if the service transfers to Facebook, which is what will happen if these 'rumours' are true, methinks. That said, the Fastmail service, started on the road to decline, at least a couple of years before that, when the old, old, new, Fastmail interface was first released, so, I left the service a couple of years before the 'Opera' acquisition.... apart from my 'free' Fastmail account (which I kept for testing, and a few important things) which is now cancelled, that is.

Having also been a past (satisfied) long term Pobox user (I was 7 years with them) I am also wondering if that company might also be up for grabs, one of these days.

Currently my Fastmail account is gone, as is my free Opera (beta) email account, and I am left using my web hosts email (with my own domain names) I am not complaining - though Squirrel Mail does suck, it is pretty solid.

But what of the future? any one of the new players (who we may turn to) may also be up for grabs... if they are at all successful - which we can only hope
I'm with Pobox since 2001
I'm with Fastmail since the very first days
So far it seems Pobox are the only ones who didn't disappoint me...
Old 28 May 2012, 12:15 AM   #83
David
Ultimate Contributor

Cheers odedp! The very best to you. Do please tell us (later on) about 'Mailstore'... if you decide to test it out. They were still using 'Squirrel Mail' many years ago, when I last tried it
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2012, 12:24 AM   #84
Shelded

Are you speaking of this fine tool? http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home.aspx

Somehow I think not. I don't see Pobox related to it.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2012, 12:27 AM   #85
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
Are you speaking of this fine tool? http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home.aspx

No, definitely not!
"Mailstore" is one of Pobox's 3 account levels (others are "basic" and "plus"
Old 28 May 2012, 12:34 AM   #86
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:

mail store is the premium 50 per year Pobox account...

10 gigs seems low after looking at several other plans... Also, 50 per year for fairly basic lmap seems high... Especially for what I see polaris mail offering for their enhanced account...
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2012, 12:34 AM   #87
Shelded

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
So far it seems Pobox are the only ones who didn't disappoint me...
Just to springboard off your comment... I've used my own lastname domain since about 1997. I haven't disappointed me yet. Yet I've changed registrars once due to their tragic failure, and changed mail providers (MX hosts) a handful of times. Folks, owning your own domain is the way to go. Whether you use Pobox matters not (for me, too expensive for value received), because you can give yourself the same level of service once you own your own domain. Fastmail is a very economical MX host, it won't be fun replacing them. But each of the big services are performing this nowadays. Maybe I'll even land at Pobox for a couple months while I shop around. It's no big deal to switch MX servers.
Old 28 May 2012, 12:36 AM   #88
Shelded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
mail store is the premium 50 per year Pobox account...

10 gigs seems low after looking at several other plans... Also, 50 per year for fairly basic lmap seems high... Especially for what I see polaris mail offering for their enhanced account...
Oh, let me be the first to point out that SIZE is the wrong way to shop for an email host. We have been over this years ago when FM was small, and Gmail was big. Don't do that to Pobox.
Old 28 May 2012, 12:46 AM   #89
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Oh, let me be the first to point out that SIZE is the wrong way to shop for an email host. We have been over this years ago when FM was small, and Gmail was big. Don't do that to Pobox.
absolutely! Their features just look thin, after looking at other services. Unless I am missing something. They seem to be about forwarding mail primarily...

I also agree about buying your own domain. No logical reason not to.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2012, 01:06 AM   #90
Shelded

Oh, do please divulge your alternatives! For the right customer, Pobox is not a bad value. I have a family and do things at Fastmail that can't be done just anywhere. Mail forwarding is free from my registrar, so paying Pobox probably not a good idea. But Pobox has good spam tools, which may interest me. At the $50/yr level, there are good things such as webmail, but since I have so many users and I share folders and use file storage -- maybe I have to piece together a solution from several places.

Perhaps Pobox could be a filter-forwarder for my users at their various free mail accounts.