EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 May 2007, 07:38 PM   #1
andrearp

Google and Fastmail: moving messages

I was trying to move some messages in one folder from FM to Gmail.

I first tried to use redirect: my first attempt has been to redirect all messages in the folder (not a good idea... I have to admit, and I got a time out - sotty about that), then smaller batches of 100-500 messages. About 50% of the messages don't get to Gmail (they were NOT marked as Spam)

Then I changed the strategy: I set up a username+foldername@fastmail.fm POP in Gmail. Gmail detects the total number of messages then apparently downloads them in batches of 200 messages. But, again, the total number of messages I find in Gmail is much lower than the number of messages in the folder, yet Gmail believes all messages have been retrieved.

It looks like a problem with Gmail when handling a lot of (small) messages.

Anyone with similar problems?
andrearp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 May 2007, 08:22 PM   #2
adam15c
Essential Contributor

I noticed a similar thing when using the pop feature. However I don't seem to have lost any email. It may be that gmail has but them in to conversations, then it would appear there are less email. I not a 100% sure on this but as mentioned I don't seem to have lost any email thus far.
adam15c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2007, 12:25 AM   #3
andrearp

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam15c View Post
It may be that gmail has but them in to conversations, then it would appear there are less email.
Well, this is true, and makes counting difficult - I found no obvious way to turn off the "conversation grouping" feature in Gmail - I'm quite sure the total number of conversations was different after redirecting and after using POP links from Gmail - this caused me to worry about the reliability.
andrearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2007, 08:31 PM   #4
eggman
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I was trying to move some messages in one folder from FM to Gmail.
Google just released a tool which migrates from IMAP Servers into google apps premier edition which seems a great way to make a backup of my fastmail. it costs $50 per month but I am using the free trial and plan to downgrade to "standard" once the migration has completed.

Thought you may find that helpful.

cheers, eggman
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2007, 02:27 PM   #5
zhak
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrearp View Post
Well, this is true, and makes counting difficult - I found no obvious way to turn off the "conversation grouping" feature in Gmail - I'm quite sure the total number of conversations was different after redirecting and after using POP links from Gmail - this caused me to worry about the reliability.
I've found it to be reliable. You can check the total number of messages on the settings-accounts screen in Gmail where it shows the pop link details -- it will show the total number of messages pop'd. The number in the mailbox view is the number of conversations, and there is no way to turn off the conversation 'feature.'
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote