EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 15 Apr 2018, 12:57 AM   #16
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Worth checking out Gandi. They charge more for a domain, around $15.50 for a .com, but that includes 2 email boxes with 3GB of storage each. I have no experience using them for domains or email, but that is an excellent deal for basic domain email.
It is good value, when you consider that you have the 2 mail boxes and WHOIS privacy.

The webmail is either Roundcube or SOGo, and both are quite adequate for basic use.

The majority of my domains are hosted with Gandi, and I have no complaints with them.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2018, 01:01 AM   #17
TenFour
Master of the @

I see Gandi had a major service disruption recently with email. Is everything back to normal? Have they been reliable overall? No 2FA on the email either.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2018, 01:21 AM   #18
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I see Gandi had a major service disruption recently with email. Is everything back to normal? Have they been reliable overall? No 2FA on the email either.
Just have a couple of domains that use GandiMail for "non-critical" use, I don't recall any major disruptions recently, certainly none that impacted my use.

Granted, no 2FA, but the main domain account does have 2FA so there is some measure of control over the e-mail accounts.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 01:38 AM   #19
TenFour
Master of the @

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
In 2017 and 2018, including in mid-March 2018, Gandi's services had many substantive technological breakdowns, including email outages arguably unprecedented amongst companies that provide email access or service. This caused, and continues to cause as of March 22, 2018, many to lose full functionality of basic email functions, in some cases for weeks. Gandi's support also was effectively non-available. Gandi posted on its website an apology for the lack of support and promised to improve at some future date. Much of this problematic history also can be gleaned from online reviews of Gandi and from Gandi's own website, which publishes a timeline of past technological breakdowns in its system, although this publishing of past technological breakdowns does not encompass the totality of effect or capture every substantive breakdown.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 02:34 AM   #20
TenFour
Master of the @

Porkbun has very cheap domain hosting and you can add email hosting for $24 per year with a 10GB inbox. Domains get 10 free forwarding addresses, but I think the email hosting only includes a single address, as far as I can tell. Nice clean website. Based in Portland, Oregon.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 04:16 AM   #21
rscaramelo

I ended up going with NameCheap. The deciding factor for me was price and the webmail was actually pretty nice.

That said I was wondering if people preferred webmail or using a client? The NC webmail option is actually pretty good. I used a windows pc, macbook and an iphone

thanks
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2018, 09:11 AM   #22
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

I realize OP has made his choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
The last time I looked Fastmail did not sell domains.
Buy a domain from any registrar, set the nameservers, and you're done with them. No need to limit yourself to a combined registrar/DNS/email host.

Fastmail has excellent DNS hosting, and top drawer email. Just set the domain's nameservers to ns1.messagingengine.com, ns2.messagingengine.com, then do everything on Fastmail. If full-service email is your priority, that's the way to go.

https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/domains.html
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2018, 09:37 AM   #23
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
No need to limit yourself to a combined registrar/DNS/email host.
The OP said he wants to "streamline" his situation and have his domain and email under "one roof." I can understand that. Multiple subscriptions, expirations, service providers, etc. add up to time, hassle, and money.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 11:17 AM   #24
rscaramelo

Quote:
The OP said he wants to "streamline" his situation and have his domain and email under "one roof." I can understand that. Multiple subscriptions, expirations, service providers, etc. add up to time, hassle, and money.
Yes I prefer this however I am a former Fastmail user and they are very good. I would consider going back to them or pobox.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 11:33 AM   #25
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

There's widespread misconception about 'domain hosting'. The GoDaddy's and Gandhi's would love people to think that in addition to registering the domain name through them, giving them your DNS, web and email hosting as well is the 'simplest' and preferred route, if not necessary. Not at all.

Quote:
It is probably more secure to separate domain host and email provider and website host since you then have all your eggs in one basket. If something happens with the company you can lose control over both your domain and your email. With the email hosted by another provider you avoid that issue
There's that. And the constrained email functionality of a domain provider.

Forwarding email from the domain provider is common but definitely suboptimal and awkward in use, which is what OP has been doing. Not simple.

OP wants aliases, superior webmail, email import/transfer, the ability to point his domain to the company's facebook, and is willing to pay for a good service. The solution I suggested is simple, meets his needs, and gives all the flexibility in an email service he could want. Including many aliases (600!), subdomain addressing, WebDAV access to file storage, website redirects, and much more - extremely useful options not offered by 'all in one' domain sellers. Not to mention the superior 2FA & other security features.

--
@rscaramelo - if you decide to go with Fastmail, all you have to do is edit the Namecheap NS nameservers to FM's as above.. you do not need to set an MX value.

Last edited by pjwalsh : 11 May 2018 at 12:38 AM.
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2018, 11:41 AM   #26
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwalsh View Post
There's widespread misconception about 'domain hosting'. The GoDaddy's and Gandhi's would love people to think that in addition to registering your domain with them, giving them your DNS, web and email hosting as well is the preferred route, and 'simplest', if not necessary. Not at all.

That's one drawback. The very limited email functionality of a domain provider is another.

Forwarding email from the domain provider is common and definitely suboptimal and awkward in use, which is what OP has been using.

OP wants aliases, superior webmail, email import/transfer, the ability to point his domain to the company's facebook, and is willing to pay for a good service. The solution I suggested is simple, meets his needs, and gives all the flexibility in an email service he could want. Including many aliases (600!), subdomain addressing, WebDAV access to file storage, website redirects - extremely useful features not offered by any 'all in one' domain seller. Not to mention the superior 2FA & other security options.

--
@rscaramelo - if you decide to go with Fastmail, all you have to do is edit the Namecheap nameservers to FM's ns1.messagingengine.com as above.. you do not need to set up an MX value.
Same for POBox? Any major difference between the 2? Thanks
Old 19 Apr 2018, 01:01 AM   #27
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscaramelo View Post
Same for POBox? Any major difference between the 2? Thanks
Yes.
With FastMail you have full customisation of your DNS records (record types).
With Pobox you can use Pobox DNS, but you can't change your records through the management interface. Only turning SPF on/off and redirection of a website is possible.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2021, 09:16 PM   #28
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Just have a couple of domains that use GandiMail for "non-critical" use, I don't recall any major disruptions recently, certainly none that impacted my use.

Granted, no 2FA, but the main domain account does have 2FA so there is some measure of control over the e-mail accounts.
I don't know how long that 2FA has been available for Gandi WebMail, I just discovered it yesterday:

https://webmail.gandi.net/settings/login

You can now set up 2FA on both RoundCube and SoGO, also the ability to disable IMAP/POP/SMTP access. There is no way to set up an app password, however.

It's also possible to set up recovery e-mail address and recovery codes.

DKIM is also now available for GandiMail:

Quote:
Email sent via Gandi’s mail servers support DKIM signatures. To make this feature available, you should add the following CNAME records to any domain names that have email addresses hosted by Gandi’s mail servers.

gm1._domainkey 10800 IN CNAME gm1.gandimail.net.
gm2._domainkey 10800 IN CNAME gm2.gandimail.net.
gm3._domainkey 10800 IN CNAME gm3.gandimail.net.

All three CNAME records are needed in case of key rollover.
DMARC is also available for GandiMail:

https://docs.gandi.net/en/gandimail/....html#spoofing

Last edited by FredOnline : 16 Mar 2021 at 06:48 AM. Reason: DKIM and DMARC is also now available for GandiMail:
Old 11 Mar 2021, 07:24 AM   #29
jtayd

Dream host and something like that is a good option.

I can also recommended Tidyhosts, but I will be moving hosting from godaddy when the hosting deal stops there.
jtayd is offline   Reply With Quote