EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 30 Oct 2004, 06:25 PM   #1
stonecypher

bloglines.com

I've been using this free service for more than a year and it just occurred to me that their sub-service of free, disposable email addresses has never been mentioned in this forum.

Bloglines is a service for searching, subscribing, publishing and sharing news feeds, and blogs. You must register with a valid email address, which becomes your Bloglines username, but the service is free and easy-to-use.

One of their included services is free bloglines.com email addresses. Once you are registered and logged in, you can create as many of these as you like with a few clicks. The email addresses appear in the form username.12345678@bloglines.com

If you create several, the username will be the same but the numbers will be different. Once logged in to Bloglines, you can them use these to send and receive mail. Your incoming mail will appear in the form of an RSS feed. Attachments are not supported. Incoming mail can be saved to a Bloglines file called Clippings.

The mail service is quite fast and good! I find it indispensable for newsletters, web signups, and anonymous posts of various kinds.
stonecypher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31 Oct 2004, 01:12 AM   #2
Gankaku

You know, I just started using Bloglines about a week ago. The reason I looked at them is that FeedDemon, my news aggregator of choice, has started working with Bloglines for a way of synchronization. So one can keep all their feeds on bloglines, but sync with FeedDemon at home or at the office, without having to copy to a USB Flash drive, etc.

I set all my feeds up in Bloglines. However, when the sync happened, FeedDemon put all my 289 feeds into one Bloglines folder. I believe the FD group is working on an improvement of this.

Anyway, the Bloglines email service is great for newsletters that may be blocked due to inappropriate blacklisting at another email service.

Additionally, the Bloglines folks are quick to accept your feedback and respond to your ideas via email. They seem keen on improving their service. This service could be sure to gleen paying customers in the future.

The one thing that bugs me right now about Bloglines is that when you click on a group of feeds to read, they all go "marked as read"even though you've not begun to read them yet. I'd rather they could be selected then marked as read enmasse, manually.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2004, 01:44 AM   #3
dantheman
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: bloglines.com

Quote:
Originally posted by stonecypher

Bloglines is a service for searching, subscribing, publishing and sharing news feeds, and blogs. You must register with a valid email address, which becomes your Bloglines username, but the service is free and easy-to-use.

One of their included services is free bloglines.com email addresses. Once you are registered and logged in, you can create as many of these as you like with a few clicks. The email addresses appear in the form username.12345678@bloglines.com

If you create several, the username will be the same but the numbers will be different. Once logged in to Bloglines, you can them use these to send and receive mail. Your incoming mail will appear in the form of an RSS feed. Attachments are not supported. Incoming mail can be saved to a Bloglines file called Clippings.
Stonecypher, can you point out exactly where is this explained in Bloglines' website?
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2004, 02:52 AM   #4
stonecypher

This is all they have to say about it on the home page:

Why does Bloglines Offer Email Accounts?

Bloglines free email accounts allow people to receive email newsletter subscriptions within their MyBloglines page. This helps to reduce traffic through your primary email inbox and helps to contain the spam menace. A Bloglines email account gives you a trump card when a newsletter breaks the rules of opt-in marketing. When you unsubscribe from a Bloglines email subscription, the email address disappears. You never have to worry about trying to find the unsubscribe instructions for an unwanted mailing list.

http://www.bloglines.com/help/faq#WhyEmail

But once you register and log in, you will see a link at the bottom of the page:
"Create Email Subscriptions"

Click it, and the next page says:

You can create an unlimited number of special Bloglines email addresses that are tied to your Bloglines account. The email addresses show up as subscriptions in your My Blogs page, and email sent to those email addresses appears as new items.

When you create a Bloglines email address, a subscription is added to your account. If you unsubscribe from that subscription, the email address becomes invalid and mail sent to it will bounce.

Email subscriptions are great for announce-only or broadcast mailing lists that don't provide RSS feeds. They are also useful as temporary email addresses.

To rename or move your email subscriptions, use the 'Edit' link under the 'My Feeds' tab.
Current Email Subscriptions

* Email Feed - xxxxx.12345678@bloglines.com

Create A New Email Subscription
Name:
Folder:
Monitored By Bloglines Notifier:
Access:
Notes:

These email accounts can also be deleted with 1 click.
stonecypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2004, 04:36 AM   #5
dantheman
Cornerstone of the Community

Thanks for the insight Stonecypher!
Already had a Bloglines account but never noticed that part of the service. Good stuff!
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2006, 01:52 AM   #6
drew
The "e" in e-mail

wow, october 2004. I tried to find a more recent one but all Iwanted to say are already mentioned here so hope it is ok if I make it noticed again to new members here.

Now that many of you have so many monthes of experience.

Do the disposable email addresses work as you expected?
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2006, 06:05 AM   #7
Rip Slagcheek

Quote:
Originally posted by drew
Do the disposable email addresses work as you expected?
yes. they are perfect for a throwaway address or to receive group newsletters/subscriptions/etc.
Rip Slagcheek is offline   Reply With Quote