EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 Jul 2009, 05:16 PM   #1
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Plaxo No Longer Free = Other Outlook Sync options?

Plaxo is not going to start charging for their outlook sync features -Charging $60 per year.

Pretty steep if you ask me.

What are others using to sync contacts and calendars across multiple computers / devices?

/CL
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Jul 2009, 10:16 PM   #2
fairflow

Steep indeed

Classic: tempt people to commit to your platform by offering free services and then convert them into paying ones. Guaranteed to **** off a large proportion of your existing users. Even though I'm not using Plaxo for synchronising, their behaviour is ******* me off.
fairflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2009, 10:59 PM   #3
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairflow View Post
Classic: tempt people to commit to your platform by offering free services and then convert them into paying ones. Guaranteed to **** off a large proportion of your existing users. Even though I'm not using Plaxo for synchronising, their behaviour is ******* me off.
While I'm not defending their business practice, as you've already pointed out, it's a "classic" business model. The optimist would say, "hey, it's been free this long and I know they need to make money somehow, so at least it was good while it lasted."
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2009, 11:21 PM   #4
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
While I'm not defending their business practice, as you've already pointed out, it's a "classic" business model. The optimist would say, "hey, it's been free this long and I know they need to make money somehow, so at least it was good while it lasted."
Ok, I think we can all agree that this business model just ticks people off, but, are there any other options people know about?

Thanks
Old 7 Jul 2009, 12:42 AM   #5
NJSS
Master of the @

ChinaLamb

You could use GoodSync which I find to be excellent.

If Plaxo disappeared altogether, I would be delighted, as I have said before - so let's not re-open the topic, and hijack your thread!

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2009, 01:27 AM   #6
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

I use Google Sync for calendars on both devices, and Google Sync for contacts on my iPhone. I sync Contacts to my Blackberry via BES.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 02:17 AM   #7
ReuvenNY

Quote:
I use Google Sync for calendars on both devices, and Google Sync for contacts on my iPhone. I sync Contacts to my Blackberry via BES.
My son seems to have a trouble setting his iPhone 3G with Google syncing. What's the secret? Any tips for him?
I use the Google phone, T-Mobile G1 in the us, for me it's a breeze...
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2009, 09:42 AM   #8
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Sorry guys, I am going to hijack my own thread back to the issue at hand.

Good Sync seems to just sync the pst file, not the changes in the file. I have two machines running at the same time that I need sync changes to the contacts and changes to the calendar. If outlook is open, the pst file is locked and cannot be sync'd. Moreover - I don't want to sync emails, just contacts and calendar.

Is GoodSync able to do this? Or is there something else I could use?

Thanks!
Old 7 Jul 2009, 10:40 AM   #9
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
My son seems to have a trouble setting his iPhone 3G with Google syncing. What's the secret? Any tips for him?
I use the Google phone, T-Mobile G1 in the us, for me it's a breeze...
I just followed the directions here (http://www.google.com/mobile/apple/sync.html) and it seemed to work like a charm. Just remember to backup everything, because once you sync with Google, the local data is replaced.

Good Luck!
Old 7 Jul 2009, 06:05 PM   #10
NJSS
Master of the @

ChinaLamb wrote:-

Quote:
If outlook is open, the pst file is locked and cannot be sync'd.
You are correct in this respect. I am not aware of any product which will synchronise open files of this nature on different machines.

I simply close Outlook when I have amended or added one or more records, and then synchronise as I am never working on the two systems, my laptop and the server, at the same time. I also synchronise to a U3 USB stick, which travells with me even if I don't have my laptop.

You might download the trial version and see how you get on? Good luck

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2009, 08:22 PM   #11
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSS View Post
ChinaLamb wrote:-

You might download the trial version and see how you get on? Good luck

NJSS
Programs like Funambol or Sync2 or ezsync do this, though I have never tried them. Most are expensive. I am considering installing a funambol server myself to keep the whole thing free! Gmail does calendar, but thats one more thing I don't want google knowing!

Anyone try setting up their own funambol server before?
Old 8 Jul 2009, 10:26 PM   #12
COUME
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Anyone try setting up their own funambol server before?
I will be testing that in the coming weeks as soon as time permits and will report.
COUME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jul 2009, 10:37 PM   #13
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUME View Post
I will be testing that in the coming weeks as soon as time permits and will report.
If you use windows, I foundout you must install funambol to the root of the drive, not in c:\Program Files

The spaces in the file names causes it problems, and the program won't work. Nice that the default is to c:\program files\funambol... Took me a few hours of trying to tinker with the scripts, etc. before I just installed to c:\funambol... Jee Wizz. Hard to believe this is 2009. So much technology still works like it did in 2000.

Spent too much time on it, and had to get back to work.

In the meantime, I am syncing my calendars to Google with their free plugin, an using my windows mobile phone to sync contacts.

Please post your results. Also let me know if you see any contact corruption. I had that problem two years ago - assuming that they got it taken care of by now...

/cl
Old 8 Jul 2009, 10:50 PM   #14
COUME
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
If you use windows, I foundout you must install funambol to the root of the drive, not in c:\Program Filesl
I only have Linux machines and servers.
COUME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jul 2009, 11:02 PM   #15
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUME View Post
I only have Linux machines and servers.
Better yet!