EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 14 Dec 2005, 08:16 AM   #1
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

WMA to MP3 Conversion

I would like to make my Napster/MSN music tracks playable in programs such as I-tunes but they will need converting to MP3 since such programs (and a lot of MP3 players too infact) can't read WMA, the format used by Napster, MSN and practically every other music download service I've encountered. How do I go about this? I have tried using Nero's wave editor - doesn't work because the files are protected. I've also tried using Nero to burn them onto CD-R, that too doesn't work. In fact the only successful method I've found is using Napster's CD burner (goodness help my MSN tracks) to burn them onto CD-R then use Window Media Player to rip them back onto the computer in MP3 format. Not only is this tedious but I am getting through CD-R disks at an alarming rate which is both tedious and wasteful to say the least (I've tried burning onto CD-RW: doesn't work).

There must surely be an easier way than this?
Thanks.
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Dec 2005, 04:47 AM   #2
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Have you tried: google "convert wma to mp3" + i feel lucky = http://www.wma-mp3.com/

Personally I'd ditch the player software, not being able to play a full range of formats is simply silly.

Last edited by DrStrabismus : 16 Dec 2005 at 04:52 AM.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2005, 08:33 AM   #3
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Thanks but none of them worked. Any other suggestions?
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2005, 07:19 PM   #4
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Hi,

See if you can save the file as a .wav file and then convert the .wav into mp3 format, or have a look at cdex this might do something like what you want and it's free I believe it can be found at http://cdex.sourceforge.net
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2006, 06:15 PM   #5
winnius

Re: WMA to MP3 Conversion

There is a great converting tool for protected media bypassing - SoundTaxi !!!
It deals with a huge number of online media stores (Napster, iTunes, Yahoo music, Aol, MSN etc.) But I like high sound quality most...
Now u may use any device u like without any limitations! That's fine
Old 16 Jun 2006, 12:50 PM   #6
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
SoundTaxi works fantastically, seriously. Thanks winnius. My boss and I just bought the registered version today, and it works great!

A couple notes, though:

-Your subscription must be active at the time of unprotecting the DRM content
-BACK YOUR STUFF UP! On my lappytop, the thing totally crashed it, and I had to restore to the day before.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2006, 09:18 PM   #7
winnius

There were some problems with Windows 2003s, but a month ago they disappeared
The proggie really rocks
Cheers!
Old 19 Jul 2006, 05:24 AM   #8
jdtaylor
Master of the @

I know that if you want Microsoft Plus Digital Media Edition has a suitable converter but in terms of the drm protectction I think this can legally be removed by using a programme such as Tunebite, which I use and this should then let you save it in to either a mp3 or wma file, and at a different bit rate if you would like to but I do agree there should be a solution.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2006, 04:41 PM   #9
winnius

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtaylor
I know that if you want Microsoft Plus Digital Media Edition has a suitable converter but in terms of the drm protectction I think this can legally be removed by using a programme such as Tunebite, which I use and this should then let you save it in to either a mp3 or wma file, and at a different bit rate if you would like to but I do agree there should be a solution.
Tunebite seems to convert on 1~4x... ST - on 12-13x!