EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Apr 2014, 06:19 AM   #31
bwat47

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I don't know what I need any of that for, bwat47. All I wanted to do was upload one little ol' 76 MB file so I could show it to someone else, and Fastmail Files turned out to be useless, with their maximum of 50 MB upload rule, assuming that's the reason that I wasn't able to upload it (no error msg., no nothing). It was easy enough to do with a free program. That first program the guy recommended, FileZilla, is a nasty one. Very nasty crapware comes with it. What's "sourceforge"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I've used Filezilla over many years, have no problem with it, and would recommend it to anyone.
The crapware he was talking about is bundled with sourceforge's installer, and not with filezilla itself. Filezilla uses sourceforge for their download hosting still unfortunately.

Sourceforge has recently begun wrapping their installers with adware/crapware, its a well known issue: https://forum.filezilla-project.org/...ic.php?t=30240, http://www.gluster.org/2013/08/how-f...ge-has-fallen/

This is similar to the crapware wrapper CNET downloads use these days too. Filezilla is a decent program and doesn't have any kind of crapware/adware as long as you don't use the wrapped sourceforge installer.

I believe it is possible to download filezilla without the bundled sourceforge wrapper, if you choose the .zip download instead of the .exe if memory serves.
bwat47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2014, 06:58 AM   #32
andrej

I do not think the file storage limits are at all absurd.

[1] My inbox maximum has been 16 MB for the last 12 years and I have no need to get more space.

My storage quota rarely ever goes past 10% full, unless someone sends me a picture.

[2] If people want to share their pics with me they can either attach a few photos or link me to their Facebook page.

[3] My work email has 100 MB space and I need it all plus file upload storage. If I wanted something like that from Fastmail, then I would use my work account.

[4] Gmail is (was) so non-intuitive to navigate; if I replied to a message, I couldn't change the subject line (I never figured out how); I couldn't block domains; I had to have a spam folder, which meant spending twice as long sifting through my e-mail (if it's spam -- reject/delete it immediately, don't even deliver it to my account). Plus I kept getting the exact same spam over and over again for like 45 days and it was not getting blocked and it drove me crazy. I do not recommend Gmail. Fastmail's no-B.S. management gets the job done way better (at least for email), plus I can customize my own mail filter which I can't do with Gmail.
andrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2014, 12:11 AM   #33
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Andrej -

I agree with you about GMail. I hate it.

The very best email for my purposes was *old* Yahoo email, before they totally trashed it, and that definitely includes Fastmail. It was free but I'd pay to get it back again, though a big advantage of free emails over paid services like FM is that the paid services have all your personal info - credit card, phone number, etc. - handy for the Homeland Security and NSA and businesses and whoever - something the free places are more and more demanding now too - like demanding your cell phone number to sign on...for your own protection of course. Yeah right.
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2014, 12:15 AM   #34
werewolf
Essential Contributor

BWat -

A real nasty was something called Conduit. Hard to get rid of. I think it's finally gone now. I'm not sure where that one came from.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 11:25 AM   #35
ZeOnlyOne

Quote:
Andrej -

I agree with you about GMail. I hate it.

The very best email for my purposes was *old* Yahoo email, before they totally trashed it, and that definitely includes Fastmail. It was free but I'd pay to get it back again, though a big advantage of free emails over paid services like FM is that the paid services have all your personal info - credit card, phone number, etc. - handy for the Homeland Security and NSA and businesses and whoever - something the free places are more and more demanding now too - like demanding your cell phone number to sign on...for your own protection of course. Yeah right.
You are telling us Google doesn't have our infos and they respect our privacy because we didn't pay for the Gmail account??? As you said: "Yeah right".
Remember: when a service is free, that means you are the product.

Sorry but I prefer to pay a company like Fastmail, rather than having a free Gmail account where all my inbox, draft and sent emails will be scanned for the purpose of knowing more about my habits, opinions and relations so they can sell this private informations to advertising companies.
ZeOnlyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2014, 02:29 PM   #36
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeOnlyOne View Post
You are telling us Google doesn't have our infos and they respect our privacy because we didn't pay for the Gmail account??? ...

Huh? Where did I say anything like that?
Old 12 Apr 2014, 03:32 PM   #37
danieldk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
though a big advantage of free emails over paid services like FM is that the paid services have all your personal info - credit card, phone number, etc. - handy for the Homeland Security and NSA and businesses and whoever - something the free places are more and more demanding now too - like demanding your cell phone number to sign on...for your own protection of course. Yeah right.
Couple of points:

- It doesn't really apply, because Fastmail is not under the US jurisdiction.
- You can pay via Paypal. If you don't like to have your credit card on file on various websites, use a proxy like Paypal.
- I don't know if you are in the US, if you are, I think it's naive to assume that these services don't have access to that data if they needed to.
- Services ask cell phone numbers, not for your own protection, but for the protection of other users. The more personal data you have, the less likely that the person is a spammer or scammer.
danieldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2014, 11:57 PM   #38
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieldk View Post
Couple of points:

- It doesn't really apply, because Fastmail is not under the US jurisdiction.
- You can pay via Paypal. If you don't like to have your credit card on file on various websites, use a proxy like Paypal.
- I don't know if you are in the US, if you are, I think it's naive to assume that these services don't have access to that data if they needed to.
- Services ask cell phone numbers, not for your own protection, but for the protection of other users. The more personal data you have, the less likely that the person is a spammer or scammer.

Fastmail's main server is in NYC, and Australian government spying is just as bad as the US. Runbox, on the other hand, is out of Norway, which has much better privacy laws. Perhaps some day I might switch to Runbox.

Paypal is hooked up with your name and credit card info etc. If you want to pay for something anonymously you need to use cash or Bitcoin.

Yes, they have access to it, but I'd rather not make it too easy for them.

Your last point: Sorry, I don't buy it.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 11:34 PM   #39
Hisist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
The crapware he was talking about is bundled with sourceforge's installer, and not with filezilla itself. Filezilla uses sourceforge for their download hosting still unfortunately.

Sourceforge has recently begun wrapping their installers with adware/crapware, its a well known issue: https://forum.filezilla-project.org/...ic.php?t=30240, http://www.gluster.org/2013/08/how-f...ge-has-fallen/

This is similar to the crapware wrapper CNET downloads use these days too. Filezilla is a decent program and doesn't have any kind of crapware/adware as long as you don't use the wrapped sourceforge installer.

I believe it is possible to download filezilla without the bundled sourceforge wrapper, if you choose the .zip download instead of the .exe if memory serves.

WebDrive also maps a network drive and doesn’t install any extra stuff on your computer.
Hisist is offline   Reply With Quote