EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 3 Apr 2012, 06:05 AM   #1
Nikolaos
Essential Contributor

Question Email polling service?

Anyone know of an online service that will check your pop3 or webmail account for you without downloading the email?

I'm looking for something like what most free webmail providers offer (check your pop3 mail), except I just need the extra option of telling it NOT to download.

I would like to set it to check every so often (say every x weeks or months even) and then just forget about it.

Sort of like a virtual email account pinging system. The primary purpose being just to keep an account alive without me having to be actively/manually involved.

The fastmail system would work for this except they don't seem to have an option for "do not download". PopPeeper is also not usable because I still have to load the program and personally check that account. I want it to be completely remote and happening without my intervention or action.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Nikolaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Apr 2012, 04:51 AM   #2
bramhall
Essential Contributor

Well, you asked for any suggestion, so here is one:
Use POP with "keep on server" but delete the downloaded messages on the polling site.
bramhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Apr 2012, 06:05 AM   #3
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

If you're comfortable with computer programming, it's relatively easy to write a script that logs into a POP account and then drops the connection without downloading anything. Then you need to find a way to make that script run periodically. If you have your own web site, you could use a third-party uptime monitoring tool to call a specific web page every now and then. If you have your own server, you could use cron to make the script run every X days.

But that's probably beyond the reach of most people, not to mention that automated unattended access might be against the TOS of some services. Honestly I don't see much difference between that and @bramhall's suggestion. FastMail.FM, for example, can be configured to leave all messages on the server forever and delete any downloaded messages.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Nikolaos
Essential Contributor

Thanks bramhall and kijinbear.

I was hoping someone would know of a free webmail service with polling functions that allows you to specify "do not retrieve", but looks like that's a no!

kijinbear, though I'm no programmer, your suggestion actually sounds like something i could try. maybe there are free email checking scripts out there i could modify, and then, as you said, use cron to activate. I think i may look into that. thanks for the idea, i hadn't thought of that approach!
Nikolaos is offline   Reply With Quote