EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 12 Oct 2002, 07:10 AM   #1
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Thumbs down Distressing Fastmail Email about Usage Limit!

I received the following email (and implied threat of acount disabling and suspension). This is frankly unacceptable.

For the record, my OE settings were 15 minutes (3 x longer than FM suggests), and although Sync settings were on I don't see how I could have LOGGED IN 400 TIMES IN ONE HOUR!!!!

Something seriously wrong here, when this isn't an issue with Mailsnare or Runbox IMAP (or my own domains IMAP servers), and the settings are IDENTICAL on all services.

Frankly, I don't care if this poses a "burden" on the FM servers (as it shouldn't), since my FM usage is 10% of that of my Runbox or Mailsnare accounts, and that hasn't been a problem at either service. Maybe I have a max of 50 emails (approx.) going in and out of FM per day, with almost no attachments!

This warning and implied threat is frankly ridiculous!

Subj: URGENT: FastMail usage warning
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:47:50 UT
----------------------------------------------------------------
Your usage of the service is approaching levels which will trigger
automated disabling of your account or automatic blocking of your
email address.

This message is only for your information, and NO ACTION HAS BEEN
TAKEN at this time, and your account will remain available if you
avoid using the service at such high levels.

To understand the limit you have reached, please see our pricing
table (http://fastmail.fm/docs/pricingtbl.html) which lists the
limits of each account level.

Account name: ***** (user *****)
Details: Logins: 400 logins in one hour

This warning has been generated because you have had hundreds of logins in the past hour. This normally occurs due to email software oddities. Possibly you're getting bitten by the odd MS Outlook Express implementation discussed here:
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...?threadid=1596

If you are using Outlook Express, make sure you haven't checked
'Synchronize' on the account settings. And reduce your login interval to less than 1 minute when not absolutely necessary.

If you are a Pegasus user, you may have set your Check for New Mails Every: box to '5'. However, Pegasus treats this number as being 'seconds', not 'minutes'! Be sure to set your mail to be checked no more than every 5 minutes (300 seconds).

When email clients cause hundreds of logins per hour it creates
substantial strain on the server, which is why we have to monitor this issue. Sometimes this problem can also be caused by email abuse, such as spammers using automated login programs, which we of course need to control.

Please email webmaster@fastmail.fm if you have any questions regarding this issue.
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Oct 2002, 07:28 AM   #2
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Are you sure that you made sure that no more than one box checked in OE's syncronyzation settings? Here's what Jeremy wrote in the post reffered to in your email:
Quote:
Most importantly, make sure that if you use Outlook Express, you don't have more than one box checked in the 'Synchronization Settings' column when you click on the account name. OE logs in and out separately for each synchronization. This is a stupid way to do things and slows things down for the server and for the user, of course, but unfortunately M$ doesn't make the code for Outlook Express available so we can't fix it.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 07:37 AM   #3
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by FMRocks
Are you sure that you made sure that no more than one box checked in OE's syncronyzation settings? Here's what Jeremy wrote in the post reffered to in your email:
The client logged in 4 times in one hour (lets assume since it was set to 15 minutes). Settings were the same for my IMAP servers, Mailsnare, Runbox, and Fastmail. Sync was set for the folders.

My question, why the pressing issue with FM alone, which must be SO problematic, that they'd send out an email threatening the account shut down.

I'd say that OE would be No. 1 email client out there. So the fact that this is such an issue for FM alone, seems to be a problem in my opinion.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 07:47 AM   #4
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by oysterquartz

The client logged in 4 times in one hour (lets assume since it was set to 15 minutes). Settings were the same for my IMAP servers, Mailsnare, Runbox, and Fastmail. Sync was set for the folders.
So it logged in 4, multiplied by the number of synched folders, times.

How many do you you have?
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 07:55 AM   #5
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrabismus

So it logged in 4, multiplied by the number of synched folders, times.

How many do you you have?
I have 20 folders in total, including all system folders. BTW, nothing has changed in my settings in ages.

No. of folders is much much lower than in Runbox (for example) which I use as an archive backup, and filter many accounts from my servers into specific folders per account.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 08:32 AM   #6
stanmocek

Quote:
Originally posted by oysterquartz

I have 20 folders in total, including all system folders. BTW, nothing has changed in my settings in ages.

No. of folders is much much lower than in Runbox (for example) which I use as an archive backup, and filter many accounts from my servers into specific folders per account.
Got two of the same messages a couple of hours ago. I check for new mail every five minutes in OE, and the Inbox is the only folder that is checked. I also have had the same settings for months.
stanmocek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 09:33 AM   #7
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

It's our fault. I'm very sorry. We weren't resetting the login counts correctly on one server.

I've fixed that now, and reset the counts. I'll be sending a message to everyone who was impacted by this.

The rate checking is important for security and reliability--it has stopped numerous denial of service attacks and attempted account cracks. When it is working correctly it is set high enough that pretty much any warning indicates a genuine problem.

I'm sorry that we generated these incorrect warnings due to a software bug.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 09:37 AM   #8
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

No need to be sorry. I'd suggest that you would somehow word the emails so they don't appear as strident or "threatening".

They appear to indicate that the user did something wrong, and termination is imminent. Maybe worded a little softer, they would get the point across.

Or maybe I'm just a little touchy
Old 12 Oct 2002, 09:39 AM   #9
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

I'm glad you didn't see the ones we had a couple of years ago--the ones you see now have been substantially toned down based on feedback we received back then!

Anyway, I'll have a look and see if I can rephrase it a bit...
Old 12 Oct 2002, 06:24 PM   #10
emailmaniac
Essential Contributor

I'm not trying at all to challenge or contradict anyone else's point of view, but I have to say that when I read this alert-notice, I see nothing strident or threatening in it at all. It does obviously advise that continued high-usage of the account will trigger automatic disabling. That surely is a helpful warning, a need-to-know consequence, rather than a threat. It goes on to assure that no action has yet been taken, and that the account is still useable. It even suggests that the problem is most like due to an "email software oddity," and no deliberate misbehavior is implied of the user. Finally, several fix-its are then offered as possible cures to the situation. And the very fact that it is an automatically-generated notice lowers its intimidation potential. No, I personally find this letter to be a model of tact and helpful information. Again, I'm giving my opinion solely for the sake of aiding the webmaster in weighing the options...

Thanks!
Dave
emailmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 07:41 PM   #11
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Thanks for your input Dave. However obviously the content has the potential to offend, since we have at least one example to show! Having said that, it's not a message that is often seen, and normally does require immediate action from the recipient, so stressing the importance of the message is quite a good idea.

Rob's designed a new approach to the hourly quota resets that will now ensure that they always get run correctly, as long as quotas are being tracked at all. So at least now I don't think there's the chance for us to send these out in error again!