EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Apr 2005, 03:44 AM   #1
colin1951uk

GMX - signing up just got tougher

Greetings folks...anybody here who is not from the countries supported by GMX is going to find it more difficult to sign up with a fake personal name and address.

They now require that the person signing up formaly writes to them confirming their name/address details...if this isn't done within fourteen days of registering the account is cancelled.

Dunno if we have spammers on here ...if we do you'd better look elsewhere

Colin

Old 25 Jul 2005, 02:40 AM   #2
CPTMiller

So anyone from non Germany manage to sign up and
continue use gmx email account?
Old 25 Jul 2005, 03:32 AM   #3
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

no offense to GMX or their users, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble just for an email account I had an account with them quite a while back, but it lapsed (as far as I know). Apparently GMX is best left to those in Europe
Old 25 Jul 2005, 03:50 AM   #4
Javier
Master of the @

And, if you pass all troubles, only will get a "normal" email account (frankly, threre are other options with better features) where you will receive lots of spam (most of them --3-4 daily messages-- from GMX itself, because you can block GMX addresses and trying to opt out their newsletters have no effect).

In my opinion, forget GMX and try some other provider (maybe, if GMX lost most of their users, re-thinks how stupid is limiting access to a bad, and no really scarce, resource).
Old 25 Jul 2005, 05:40 AM   #5
CyberSmurf

I was going to comment on registering with fake information, but I will keep quiet this time.

Throwing in my 2ยข ...
There are some services which would like you to confirm your account creation with a phone call. I don't know how the phone system works in Germany, but the cost of a stamp may be a lot better than what could turn out to be a costly phone call.

I still have a GMX account from when they had an English version and welcomed international sign-ups. There is no more English, and unless you speak German, it wouldn't be worth the hassle of signing up.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 06:19 AM   #6
squabsy

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberSmurf
I still have a GMX account from when they had an English version and welcomed international sign-ups. There is no more English, and unless you speak German, it wouldn't be worth the hassle of signing up. [/b]
so do i and my wife and kids the accounts have been extremely reliable and i have been very pleased with them . however i am getting nervous that we will lose them one day as they seen increasingly opposed to non german residents using them
Old 25 Jul 2005, 07:21 AM   #7
davy51
Master of the @

there are accounts like lionrampant that offer as much as
gmx without all the signup hassle

I use lionrampant an it actully works better than GMX
Old 25 Jul 2005, 09:20 AM   #8
Trip
Master of the @

Representative of:
Runbox.com
...That's a shame to hear. I had an account with gmx.net as my primary email for several years and not one single problem. (can Search for my comments on them a while back) Hands down the best free service ever, before they implemented their user base restrictions.

Trip
Old 25 Jul 2005, 10:15 PM   #9
CPTMiller

I guess will look for alternative non german
email services.
Thanks everyone.
Old 25 Jul 2005, 10:16 PM   #10
CPTMiller

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally posted by davy51

Old 30 Jul 2005, 09:36 AM   #11
anonymous

Quote:
Originally posted by davy51

I tried to sign up at lionrampant weeks ago, but with no success.... they denied me because I'm not resident in the UK.

Because of that I signed up at GMX... and I get only once a week a GMX-message, not 3-4 times a day...

Anyway, does anyone know if lionrampant has still this restriction?

cheers

Old 31 Jul 2005, 12:20 AM   #12
davy51
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by anonymous
I tried to sign up at lionrampant weeks ago, but with no success.... they denied me because I'm not resident in the UK.

Because of that I signed up at GMX... and I get only once a week a GMX-message, not 3-4 times a day...

Anyway, does anyone know if lionrampant has still this restriction?

cheers

Lionrampant is now open for signups

http://mail.lionrampant.co.uk/script...rl&utoken=dave!40lionrampant.co.uk!40mail.lionrampant.co.uk!3A110_!7E2-c74e73bb29362b250ae700_0&url=http://www.lionrampant.co.uk/virusfeed.aspx
Old 4 Dec 2005, 07:11 AM   #13
idealist
Essential Contributor

Please help with GMX forwarding!

Hi folks This site is great! I learned a lot about my gmx account that I didn't know before, like the fact that they're no longer deleting old messages, and they do forwarding!

Could someone help me with the forwarding part? Is the "forward to" address "Rechnungsadresse" ? Bablefish translates it as "Calculating address." But even if that is it, I can't figure out how to input an outside address.

Could someone please direct me to where and how I may forward my GMX mail account to a non-gmx email address?

I've been struggling with bablefish and haven't been able to figure it out! I figured I'd try here before posting a new message.

Thank you!
Old 4 Dec 2005, 07:50 AM   #14
cheviot
Essential Contributor

Self-creation process disabled for LR; uses same interface as ICmail.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 09:17 AM   #15
davy51
Master of the @

To control spammers admin does personally handle signups
Closed Thread