EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 10 Jun 2008, 08:58 AM   #1
lavabit

Representative of:
Lavabit.com
Is hotpop.com down?

Trying to access hotpop.com to investigate an issue between their mail server, and ours (lavabit.com), but can't seem to bring it up. Is it just us, or is everyone having issues?
lavabit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Jun 2008, 03:23 PM   #2
drew
The "e" in e-mail

They seems down here in sweden too.

While waiting for them to get online,
do you have any help of statistics from Alexa?

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/main/hotpop.com

or other such services.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2008, 08:56 PM   #3
jdtaylor
Master of the @

I can't access hotpop.com either.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2008, 05:07 AM   #4
raskryd

i havent received any of my hotpop emails for the last week. i have hotpop in my Outlook Express, along with 2 other of my email sites. hotpop has gone down before, but only for a couple days. ive tried going to their info page and even wrote their webmaster, but mail doesnt go thru.

anyone in the know out there?? is hotpop gone for good?

thanks
raskryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2008, 05:31 AM   #5
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

I don't use any of my (5 or 6?) Hotpop addresses with POP3 anymore, so I can't report any recent experience with that, having them all set to forwarding at this time, although I receive little if anything but spam at any of them anymore.

But for what it's worth, the web page seems to be up and I was just now able to login via the web to my account settings. There's also a "contact us" link at the web site which leads to a page of links for contacting various departments, including Support, for which there's a special contact form at which you can post questions/problems, etc. and get a support ticket. Have you tried contacting them through that form?
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2008, 02:38 PM   #6
raskryd

yes, thank you, i went to the hotpop site that they have right away. i went to the contact page. it says the support link no longer works, so i tried reaching them thru the webmaster, but those email (s) came back undeliverable. i am able to login on this site, but the site does not lead you to an actual page where you can retrieve your emails like other email sites do. it never has.

a person had to go to mail2web.com to retrieve. but i can't get hotpop at that site any more either.

i finally, and don't even remember how, reached a support page and received a confirmation email back from support. said they will get back to me in 24-72 hours, so i'll see.

status quo--still no emails at present from hotpop. oh, well, i used them mostly for junk anyhow, like sweepstakes and freebies. i moved all my important items to hotmail a year ago, when i first started having problems.

thanks for your answer, and we'll see what happens.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 04:10 AM   #7
raskryd

hotpop

well, hotpop finally came back today, after a week. so far, am only getting todays emails. guess the ones for the whole last week are gone, or maybe they'll show up later.

i'll really try not to use hotpop except as a throwaway email. this is just too aggravating!
Old 25 Jun 2008, 04:24 AM   #8
jojomac34

Unhappy Where is HotPOP?

Hi, been using hotPOP for just over a year now, via Incredimail, I'm awaiting an important email involving a new job start and since returning from holiday last Thursday, I haven't been able to get into my emails, nothing is being received and nothing is leaving the outbox. I have tried clicking on every single link belonging to hotPOP and can't access anything. Is there no other way I can access my inbox? Starting to do my head in now!
jojomac34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2008, 09:24 PM   #9
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I can still receive and send messages from Hotpop's POP/SMTP servers.

The web site (www.hotpop.com) was out for awhile, then up again. At the moment the site is giving me Connection Resets and an occasional time out.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2008, 06:42 AM   #10
philtec

Unhappy Out for the count.

POP not working and website comes up 503
philtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2008, 07:16 AM   #11
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Trying to get to the web page just now, I've had a blank page, with "Waiting for hotpop.com..." in my browser status bar for at least a few minutes so far.

But given the "erratic" nature of this service for quite awhile now -- and by "awhile", I mean probably at least close to a couple years or longer -- I don't think I'd even recommend them for use as "throwaway" addresses at this point. Might as well just...throw away...any addresses with them and be done with it. And I can't imagine who would actually pay for their premium service, given how unreliable the service has been for so long now, in my experience.

Okay, while typing the above, I too finally got the 503 error.

Quote:
Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
That's real helpful information.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2008, 10:06 PM   #12
chrisretusn

I am getting logged in and logout of the POP service (takes about three minutes), but it says no messages. I know there should be messages, I have sent a few test messages (with no mail delivery notices so far) and there should be some newsletters.

I can get in using telnet no problem with the user command, stalls at the pass command for about three long minutes and then gives me an +OK, Issuing a stat, as expected gives me an +OK 0 0. At least I now know where the delay is anyway.

I never used that account for anything important. When I goes out it usually comes back in a day or so. It is fast approaching beyond as day or so.

As already mentioned the web site simply times out after several minutes. hotpop.com (38.113.3.122) is resolving to gamebox.net when doing a traceroute and in my firewall logs.

This time got the 503 error from the web server:

Quote:
Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Apache/1.3.26 Server at www.hotpop.com Port 80
Old 21 Jul 2008, 11:55 PM   #13
MicrosoftSux

Thanks for this site. Very cherry post here.

They've been down since Friday. www.hotpop.com pings fine, but I get the same webpage behavior you describe. Sending an email instantly causes an email to appear in my inbox, ending with

550 <JoeBlow@whoknows.com>: Recipient address rejected: Relaying Denied: Authenticate with POP first or contact support@HotPOP.com

Maybe the webmaster is just on vacation in Florida . I haven't been unhappy with these guys and occasional glitches; the price is right and they don't assault you with advertising. I have frequently had times where I could receive but not send for half a day, but that's another post in another forum area.
MicrosoftSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2008, 12:33 PM   #14
chrisretusn

I haven't tried sending with my hotpop account; just did.

No problems logging in; however, the response to mail from: was a 452 Insufficient system storage.

Maybe this time it really is the end of hotpop.com -or- maybe the owner is on vacation.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 07:39 PM   #15
philtec

Unhappy Website back up.

The website is back up BUT no mail is comming thru.
philtec is offline   Reply With Quote