EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Aug 2021, 07:09 AM   #1
ktweb

Quote a portion when replying

Using the FastMail environment when I reply I get the whole of the original message. Is there a way just to select a single line? Maybe the only way is to delete what is not required - or am I missing something?
ktweb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Aug 2021, 08:39 AM   #2
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

AFAIK, there is no way to 'selectively quote' part of a message. I just do what you do.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2021, 02:08 PM   #3
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktweb View Post
Using the FastMail environment when I reply I get the whole of the original message. Is there a way just to select a single line? Maybe the only way is to delete what is not required - or am I missing something?
Assuming you are doing this in the FM webmail there are two techniques for quoting stuff:
  1. In the quoted reply copy/paste subsections from the full quoted reply. You can then delete the original quoted message when you are done.
  2. The "left quote" tool in the toolbar is used to indicate what follows is to be quoted. The "right quote" tool in the toolbar stops formatting as a quote.
Welcome to the forums!
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2021, 06:43 PM   #4
ktweb

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping I could highlight one line and then reply and that would quote just that selection. I will have to get used to deleting unwanted material.
Old 21 Aug 2021, 09:29 PM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

Sometimes I just use Bold or Italic to highlight a portion of the quoted material.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2021, 11:38 PM   #6
ktweb

Yes, that is a thought. I was trying to cut down on the bulk that ends up in a thread.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 03:20 PM   #7
Mr David

Within account settings the way content of a message is handled in replies has three settings.

Settings > Preferences > Show advanced preferences > Compose & Reply > When replying > Include the original message [inline/quoted/as an attachment]

Using the 'quoted' option should enable you to quickly delete extraneous text.
Mr David is offline   Reply With Quote